Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBQ Coals

Options
  • 23-05-2010 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Dusted off the BBQ in the garage today and was planning on having a great feast in the sun. But my hubby was convinced that we should change the coals as they would have food bacteria from last year. It is a gas BBQ with a wire tray over the coals. Do we need to change the coals and if so how often??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Send her on I have never replaced mine, 3 years on the heat will kill all before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Are they the lava coals?

Put the BBQ on full, lid closed for 30 minutes and you will burn off anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

PaddyJules wrote: »
    Dusted off the BBQ in the garage today and was planning on having a great feast in the sun. But my hubby was convinced that we should change the coals as they would have food bacteria from last year. It is a gas BBQ with a wire tray over the coals. Do we need to change the coals and if so how often??

To expand on what the others have said....

You don't cook on the coals. You cook on the grill. If you had to worry about anything being clean, its the grill.

The temperature a gas grill would/should/must reach temps capable of cooking food which will - pretty much by definition - kill bacteria. I'd still clean the grill, though...because it'll have dust 'n stuff on it from sitting around for a year.

The coals will also have dirt n stuff on them...but that's not so much a problem, cause you can burn it off.

So...

1) Remove the grill.
    2) Turn the grill on full, and close the lid (assuming you have a lid). Leave it burning for 10-20 minutes, or until it stops smoking.
    3) While step 2 is underway, go wash / scrub your grill. You probably shoulda done this at the end of last season, but whether you did or not, go do it now anyway.

That's it. You're ready to rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Show me the bacteria that can survive 30 mins on a full temperature BBQ rock and I will show you the end of the world.

Advertisement