Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Lee filters cost so much?

Options
  • 23-05-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at upgrading my filters. Well my ND grad for starters.

I'm using a Cokin ND grad (3 to be exact) and while it is good, I'm getting some awful colour casts and it is affecting the image quality. My main lens I use for landscapes is a Canon 17-40L, so this is a sharp piece of glass. I think the filter might be causing problems with the image quality.

So I was looking at the LEE filter. Something like 90 quid for a piece of resin. I think it's a bit over priced; but I know in photography, you have to spend big to get good results.

So I'm looking for people who have made the upgrade to Lee filters and let me know if it is a worthwhile investment.

And also if there is any other filters that are better than Cokin but are cheaper than lee filters.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Because people will pay that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i had cookin ones

i ditched them and bought the lee ones, they are a world apart

and if you actually compare like with like there isnt a huge difference in the price

if you look at the cookin x series, which are about the same size etc as the lee then the price isnt a huge a difference

the lee polariser which is a lot of money (180 euros) is amazing, its the best i have used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

swingking wrote: »
    And also if there is any other filters that are better than Cokin but are cheaper than lee filters.

Hitech filters. I got mine from B&H some years back. Donno if there sold here.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Believe it or not the Lee filters are hand made in the UK and they cannot keep up with demand. There are often long delays in getting filters - even at those prices...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Fenster wrote: »
    Because people will pay that amount.

they are really an amazing improvement when you get down to detail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Why do Lee filters cost so much?

Also, because they are so difficult to get your hands on. I'm having trouble finding anyone with them in stock.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I'm using a Cokin ND grad (3 to be exact) and while it is good, I'm getting some awful colour casts and it is affecting the image quality.

I watched a slide show last week in our camera club (slides, not digital) and the landscapes taken with Lee filters had an awful pinkish/purple colour cast.

It's the only time I've knowingly seen pics that had used Lee and I wasn't impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I watched a slide show last week in our camera club (slides, not digital) and the landscapes taken with Lee filters had an awful pinkish/purple colour cast.

It's the only time I've knowingly seen pics that had used Lee and I wasn't impressed.

Are you sure they were not Cokin filters.

I'm having a purple colour cast on mine. But maybe it's guaranteed to be like that for all filters

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Are you sure they were not Cokin filters.

100% sure - the chap who was showing the slides made the point on more than one occasion that these were very expensive Lee filters - not a happy camper I can tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

If he was using NDs and lengthening his exposure could be that he just didn't know his slides well enough. Some slide films experience colour shifts on long exposures. Could also have been something to do with the ambient light or something. Hard to tell without knowing the exact circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

If he was using NDs and lengthening his exposure could be that he just didn't know his slides well enough. Some slide films experience colour shifts on long exposures. Could also have been something to do with the ambient light or something. Hard to tell without knowing the exact circumstances.

The same happens with long exposures with ND filters on digital cameras. Well, for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 30 derekoshea

Hi everyone, I'm lookin to invest in nd & nd grads to improve my landscape photos, are the Lee filters that much better than the Cokin to justify the difference in price. Also, what do the different series in the cokin filter mean. Sorry for being a dumb ass.

Thanks, Derek

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

depends on your standard of photography. cokin are excellent, lee are better, if your shooting with 1200e of equip, cokin will compliment nicely, 3000e, cokin will be the weakness. the different series, are different levels of quality i thinks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

they are really an amazing improvement when you get down to detail

spoken like a true gearhound.....

Barname wrote: »
    spoken like a true gearhound.....

i dont have them personally, but i have seen the results from them

i dont have them personally, but i have seen the results from them

it was my stab at humour, I previously noted you using the term and found it funny....

(I like Lee stuff, perhaps I was projecting...)

...<goes overhead>

???huh???

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭darraghsherwin

Most slow speed slide like Velvia will extencuate magenta in the scene if it is very long exposure. Cokin P series filters will add a magenta cast to the image which will be very exaggerated if it is a long exposure on Velvia.
    I use Singh-Ray ND Grads and have never experienced any colour cast issues but they are not cheap, at $100 for the grads and $370 for the polariser.
    I've never seen any colour casts will Lee filters.

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

B+W filters are decent too yeah ?

• Advertisement

...STALKER :p

...STALKER :p

you wish :rolleyes:

OP

Lee Filters are my favourite.

Advertisement