Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slim-Fast ad

• 23-05-2010 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

"Because your cousin invited your ex to her wedding.

Slim-Fast. Because who has time to slim slowly?"

I tried to find traces of irony, but failed... Wtf?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Dudess wrote: »
    Because who has time to slim slowly?

Presumably people who want to keep the weight off after the wedding...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

They should have the meerkat selling this.

"Instead of drinking junk zat does nothings to lose weight, eat less, move more, simples!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Was anybody watching Watchdog the other night? The Tesco slim fast range had the wrong calorie count on it's labels and the women using it were gaining extra weight or not losing weight at all rather than losing it. It had double the amount of calories in it than it had stated on it's label! :eek:

Source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Dudess wrote: »
    "Because your cousin invited your ex to her wedding.

Slim-Fast. Because who has time to slim slowly?"

I tried to find traces of irony, but failed... Wtf?

i was like :eek::eek::eek: when i heard the "who has the time to slim slowly". but to be honest my thinking is that slimfast or any of them "diets" cant be good for you anyway, theres (unfortunately) no way to cheat yourself slim & people are always going to try random fad diets so is the slimfast version any worse than the others. *waits for someone to tell me it is*
    Bonito wrote: »
    Was anybody watching Watchdog the other night? The Tesco slim fast range had the wrong calorie count on it's labels and the women using it were gaining extra weight or not losing weight at all rather than losing it. It had double the amount of calories in it than it had stated on it's label! :eek:

Source.

i know its terrible but i lol'd. if it was me if of course be going mental but its kind of hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

Well, it's a handy way of ensuring customers keep buying the stuff after they lose weight quickly and unhealthily, then pile it back on (with probably another stone for good measure) and buy it all over again because 'it worked so well the first time'. :rolleyes:

It's a bit sickening that they can still make advertisements that so blatantly say they don't give a shit about the woman who buys it or her health, but there you go.

Also, Slim Fast looks (and probably tastes) like liquid crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i thought that aqd was crazy,you just drink that crap and have a tiny little dinner so you dont die,i dont know how anyone could last on it!

The best kind of shake. I recommend 3 full meals along with the shake. :cool:

pdmaximuscle-cyclone.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Not much different to the Special K drop a dress size in 2 weeks malarkey though.

Special K is like eating cardboard!

i actually like the taste of special k,i dont think i could replace my dinner or lunch with it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

i actually like the taste of special k,i dont think i could replace my dinner or lunch with it though
    and it has more calories than many other cereals.

Tehehehe Sarren likes chewing cardboard. :pac:

axer wrote: »
    and it has more calories than many other cereals.

i wouldnt be eating it to loose weight or anything,its just always in the house and i prefer it over the other crappy ones that are there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

There's very little right with that ad. All it's doing is saying that you should lose weight to impress others, not for yourself, and you should do it as quickly and as unhealthily as possible, instead of, as krudler says, eating less and moving more.

As a race we seem to want to do everything as quickly and as painlessly as possible. For example, I saw Weed Killer in a store that kills weeds in an hour. I can't imagine what situation I'd be in that I needed to kill weeds, but it had to be in an hour or else it was no use!

I actually used to quite enjoy Special K, I thought it was quite nice with really cold milk, but then Kelloggs dropped all pretence and basically said that only women eat it. As I'm a guy who was a customer of theirs that they decided to alienate I now don't buy it.

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Slim-Fast Chocolate Royal Shake Mix ingredients:
    SUGAR, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), MALTODEXTRIN, HIGH OLEIC SUNFLOWER OIL, BUTTERMILK POWDER, GUM ARABIC, CELLULOSE GEL, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SOY FIBER, XANTHAN GUM, SOY LECITHIN, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, CARRAGEENAN, DEXTROSE, POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, GUAR GUM, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (NONNUTRITIVE SWEETENER), ASPARTAME. VITAMINS AND MINERALS: CALCIUM CARBONATE, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ASCORBATE, VITAMIN E ACETATE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, NIACINAMIDE, ZINC OXIDE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, CHROMIUM CHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN, BIOTIN, COPPER GLUCONATE, FOLIC ACID, SODIUM MOLYBDATE, SODIUM SELENITE, PHYTONADIONE (VITAMIN K1), POTASSIUM IODIDE, CHOLECALCIFEROL (VITAMIN D3), AND CYANOCOBALAMIN (VITAMIN B12). SWEETENED WITH NUTRITIVE SWEETENERS AND A NONNUTRITIVE SWEETENER. MAY CONTAIN WHEAT. PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE.

Hahahahahahahahahahahhahaahhahahaaaa..... *deep breath* HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!

Last line. Isn't phenylalanine a laxative? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

Can anyone reccommend a diet pill/shake/etc that does work.

I do exercise and eat a balanced diet but just an extra boost to shift some weight would be great!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

It is, but only in very high doses. That's why you get warnings on sugar-free products which contain it that you should ingest too much in-case of laxative effects being produced (sugar-free polo's have this warning iirc). It's also for those with PKU of course.

I do exercise and eat a balanced diet but just an extra boost to shift some weight would be great!!
    Yeah. Pineapples, grapes, melon & mango are in the super fruits category and speed up your metabolic rate and help you lose weight easier. Also more green veg. Everyone's body is different and it's a matter of finding what works. Sometime exercise routines need to be revised.

@g'em, ah yes, I believe chewing gum has it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

actually I think it's more likely the sugar alcohols that are the laxatives in the sugar free stuff: xylotol (VERY toxic to dogs!) and sorbitol. These are not digestible by the human body so it tends to just.... slip out. heh heh ehhhhhh gross.

aspartame is a dipeptide: a small protein made up of two natural amino acids. One of these amino acids is phenylalanine. PKU is a rare genetic disease that means people born with it can not metabolise phenylalanine so instead it builds up in their bodies and eventually kills them. They have to be on a special diet their entire lives because phenylalanine naturally occurs in any food with complete protein.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

g'em wrote: »
    Chromium Chloride

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Pah Slim-Fast, slim-slow more like. Earlier this year I got really sick and every last bit of food and moisture in my body was forcibly ejected. The doctors gave me some lovely IV fluid which kept me alive but helped maintain my lovely slim figure. My waist was measuring less than 24" by the time I was discharged. It only took 2 days.

I was nearly slim enough to be the chubby friend on an American tv show.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

The best kind of shake. I recommend 3 full meals along with the shake. :cool:

pdmaximuscle-cyclone.jpg

That is the single worst shake on the market.

Mainly value wise, but quality and taste are both poor.

Seriously, more chicken less maxi-muscle.

I can't remember what the OP was :o Apologies.

That is the single worst shake on the market.

Mainly value wise, but quality and taste are both poor.

Seriously, more chicken less maxi-muscle.

I can't remember what the OP was :o Apologies.
    I don't use it but in other news. Slim fast is shít, don't use it. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

That ad shocked me! (It's the stand-up one we're talking about, yes?) I study marketing as part of my degree and I could only laugh when I saw it. They're ticking all the boxes, clever sods! And leaving desperate women to lap it up. The idea of "Who's with me?", like, she's a normal woman with a bit (but not much really AT ALL) of weight on her and needs a wee slim before a wedding. I'm JUST like her. *Buys product*. The ad makes it sound like it's fine and perfectly safe to want and to be able to drop a few pounds for a social occasion, and quickly.
    So wrong!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Ridiculous ad, ridiculous product. They're all scams. Just eat healthy ffs.

Also on side note the strawberry slim fasts contain Carmine

Which is this

cochineal_beetle.jpg

The female cochineal beetle, the shell is crushed up to make the red/pink dye.

Om nom nom nom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Ridiculous ad, ridiculous product. They're all scams. Just eat healthy ffs.

Which is this

cochineal_beetle.jpg

Om nom nom nom

that's so that they can say there are no artificial colours :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Which is this

cochineal_beetle.jpg

Om nom nom nom

Pretty much any food that's pink/red [and also cosmetics] contains Carmine made from Cochineal beetles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TBH I'd prefer to ingest that than something cooked up by ICI. The insect itself is edible.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Shhhhhut uuupp. You're ruining my scare mongering :mad:

Yeah it's in tonnes of red foods. Still, it's gross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

When I was a kid there was an urban myth that slimfast had special bugs in it so when you drank it the bugs would crawl around inside you and eat away all your fat :eek:

Yeah I remember hearing that too, it got around pretty fast and everyone was repulsed. Nah the only bugs in it are in the dye. And that's only the Strawberry flavour.

Funnily enough though if that was true, the stuff might actually work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

g'em wrote: »

Hahahahahahahahahahahhahaahhahahaaaa..... *deep breath* HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!

So basically it's like somebody crushed up a centrum, put it in a chocolate milkshake, and called it Slimfast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

jasonb wrote: »
    I actually used to quite enjoy Special K, I thought it was quite nice with really cold milk, but then Kelloggs dropped all pretence and basically said that only women eat it. As I'm a guy who was a customer of theirs that they decided to alienate I now don't buy it.

J.

I wouldn't let that stop me if you enjoy it.

I continue to eat Yorkies, ignoring wrapper advisories to the contrary, just to spite them.:)
    yorkie_bar_quot_not_for_girls_quot.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Special K is like eating cardboard!

and you can get the carboard with a variety of dehydrated frizzled fruit in in and use.........skimmed milk ugh!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Maximuscle Promax diet is quite good but pretty expensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Maximuscle Promax diet is quite good but pretty expensive!

It's overpriced sh!te, don't go near it, pure whey is best. But there's no need to start replacing real food with shakes, they're called supplements for a reason - to supplement a good diet in conjunction with proper training. Eat clean and you'll see results, they might take a bit longer than crash dieting(i.e starving yourself) but they'll also last longer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah, the only time you really need shakes is after tough workouts. As a long distance runner I'd only really have one after a run of say 15 miles or more - anything else I sort with my diet.

This ad has made me laugh for months, I can't believe they get away with it. Hunky Doreys aren't allowed to have a woman with her boobies hanging out because it degrades women or some crap like that. Slim fast shouldn't be allowed have this as as it degrades stupid people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Yeah, the only time you really need shakes is after tough workouts. As a long distance runner I'd only really have one after a run of say 15 miles or more - anything else I sort with my diet.

theyre a hell of a lot cheaper/conviniant than cooking extra meat. find with milk they're a great start to the day

Advertisement