Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost Muscle Mass

• 23-05-2010 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭

Coming from a career of hurlig and rugby, and a regular gym enthusiast, before I started cycling about a year and a half ago, i had pretty large thighs and calves.

As the miles steadily increase, my muscle mass in my thighs mainly have significantly dropped, which is a bit worrying when i compare the way they were a year or two ago...

So basically, im wondering if any of ye have noticed the same problem, and whats the best remedy..Is it possible to re build these on the bike...or do i just go back to doing weights in the gym to regain lost muscle mass?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Unless you're a sprinter or blood doping you don't want very large leg muscles on a bike.

take up track sprinting if you want big legs
    340x.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

besides your thighs having a smaller circumference what are you worried about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Why do you want muscle mass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Muscle = weight. Excessive weight while climbing hills = very bad.

Chances are you may have lost a touch of muscle mass but as your km's are clocking up you may have been carrying more fat on the legs than you realise. Your legs may well be simplying toning up.

Thing you have to realise is that most cyclists (distance ones) do all their training between the road or a home trainer. The track guys split their time between the bike and the gym. Chris Hoy for example is in the gym 5 days a week doing squat sets and lunges. He builds huge and dense muscle mass to give himself explosive power. Only thing is wait until he hits a few mountains on a long stage and all that gym work comes back to bite him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Take it from me, the last thing you need on bike is huge muscle mass. I spend all winter in the gym on weights doing full body workouts and to be honest the upperbody was a waste of time. If you see me know compared to last December I'm half what I was. The best thing is to train the leg muscles to work effectively for you, don't worry about the mass.

If you want body mass and look buffed up, stay off the bike, go to the gym, workout hard and drink plenty of protien shakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Surely smaller thighs will make everything else look bigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

abcdggs wrote: »
    Surely smaller thighs will make everything else look bigger

That's what she said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

Yeah I guess its a good thing come the hills, was just wondering if its the norm or if anyone had the same problem..

I dont know what im actually worried about, it just came as a bit of a shock to me yesterday when herself realised the change...

I guess its only something il have to get used to, and go for a few tough climbs in the mean time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 asknot

Murf, I have the same problem, played first team gaelic football up to last year, decided to play only with the second team this year as I can not give full commitment. I am cycling a lot more now as it is more flexible
    to find the time to cycle than commit to a time to play a match or attend training. I have lost a stone weight since Christmas from cycling and sometimes I wish I had the extra stone when playing football but when cycling I find being a stone lighter is suiting me on the hills.
    No real answer, but I am enjoying my cycling more and feel a lot more athletic for the football. So I wouldn't worry about it.

asknot wrote: »
    Murf, I have the same problem, played first team gaelic football up to last year, decided to play only with the second team this year as I can not give full commitment. I am cycling a lot more now as it is more flexible
    to find the time to cycle than commit to a time to play a match or attend training. I have lost a stone weight since Christmas from cycling and sometimes I wish I had the extra stone when playing football but when cycling I find being a stone lighter is suiting me on the hills.
    No real answer, but I am enjoying my cycling more and feel a lot more athletic for the football. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Nice one asknot, playing junior hurling too and could do with the extra weight with that but definitely with the cycling becoming more favourable its prob a good benefit for the hills

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Most GAA players carry a bit of excess fat and often have chunky legs.Conditioning problem really. So you are just getting rid of the muscle you don't need or indeed fat and building some lean muscle not chunky stuff you had before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

One other thing - are you sure it's muscle mass?

I thought I was quite thin before I started cycling again, then I lost almost 10% body mass over about a year without doing huge distances. I was so concerned about it I got all sorts of tests done (blood, cardiac etc) but they all came up clear, and I haven't dropped dead yet so I guess I'm OK (one for the epitaph?). It definitely wasn't muscle, since I hadn't done anything more strenuous than walking for many years.

The only way to be sure is to go back to the gym and see if you can lift the same. You might be surprised.

Thanks lads...Ye have put my mind at ease alright! Cheers

Advertisement