Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought a car in the north

• 23-05-2010 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

As the thread title suggests i bought a car in the north today. The ower didnt have a V5 document from the previous owner and applied for a certificate of permanent export which is the norm source: http://www.dvlni.gov.uk/vehicles/vehicle_forms/V756NI.pdf.

They never paid the vrt so gave me this certificate and said I could pay it myself. She is down as the registered keeper. Does this sound right to you guys?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

As the thread title suggests i bought a car in the north today. The ower didnt have a V5 document from the previous owner and applied for a certificate of permanent export which is the norm source: http://www.dvlni.gov.uk/vehicles/vehicle_forms/V756NI.pdf.

They never paid the vrt so gave me this certificate and said I could pay it myself. She is down as the registered keeper. Does this sound right to you guys?

Bit confuzzled! :confused: If you bought the car in the North, then YOU have to pay the VRT surely?

Has the previous owner applied for the Cert of Perm Export for you? By that, I mean for it to be posted to you? I'm just thinking if you get a tug from the boys in blue, what would you tell them? Either you get the V5 (log book) or the export cert should've been given to you at the point of sale. I think that's right, but maybe someone wiser than I might put you right. Whenever I've sold a car in the UK, I just completed the slip with the new owner's details and sent that off. The log book would then be sent to the new owner.

Did you get ANY documentation at all with the car? I would double-check with the Revenue/DVLA urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Bit confuzzled! :confused: If you bought the car in the North, then YOU have to pay the VRT surely?

Has the previous owner applied for the Cert of Perm Export for you? By that, I mean for it to be posted to you? I'm just thinking if you get a tug from the boys in blue, what would you tell them? Either you get the V5 (log book) or the export cert should've been given to you at the point of sale. I think that's right, but maybe someone wiser than I might put you right. Whenever I've sold a car in the UK, I just completed the slip with the new owner's details and sent that off. The log book would then be sent to the new owner.

Did you get ANY documentation at all with the car? I would double-check with the Revenue/DVLA urgently.

No the cert of permanent export was sent by the girl i bought the car off. She was moving from armagh to monaghan so filled out the form in her name. The cert came back and she is the registered keeper. She said she was looking for a new car so hadnt paid the vrt yet. She assured me i could pay the vrt myself and register it to the rebuplic of ireland.

So essentially the car has been exported to the south in her name, but no vrt has been paid, but this certificate of export has her name on it so can i just pay the vrt?

I think I see what you mean....OK, so she exported the car, but hadn't as yet paid the VRT, so no Irish plates - right?

I would be very careful here. If she didn't immediately pay the VRT on export to here, then YOU might be liable for any penalties for non-payment. I think the law here is that VRT is paid within 48 hours.

I would go back to the seller and ask when the car was exported over. It it was a while ago, see if she'll pay the VRT...It was her responsibility after all.

I would also try to seek advice from Citizen's Advice (or Irish equivalent) as well.

Sorry if this is a bit woolly, but hope this helps!

I think I see what you mean....OK, so she exported the car, but hadn't as yet paid the VRT, so no Irish plates - right?

I would be very careful here. If she didn't immediately pay the VRT on export to here, then YOU might be liable for any penalties for non-payment. I think the law here is that VRT is paid within 48 hours.

I would go back to the seller and ask when the car was exported over. It it was a while ago, see if she'll pay the VRT...It was her responsibility after all.

I would also try to seek advice from Citizen's Advice (or Irish equivalent) as well.

Sorry if this is a bit woolly, but hope this helps!

That is a bit of a problem straight through to voicemail. I am getting the distinct impression i have been scammed here!

That is a bit of a problem straight through to voicemail. I am getting the distinct impression i have been scammed here!

Oh no :eek::eek:- I do hope I'm wrong....Try writing a recorded delivery letter to the seller. See if that helps.

NEVER buy a car without getting some kind of documentation first!! Let me know if I can help any further...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You need to get the V5 document to register the car for VRT, without it you cannot register the car here. It doesn't matter who's name the V5 is in but you need it.

You need to get the V5 document to register the car for VRT, without it you cannot register the car here. It doesn't matter who's name the V5 is in but you need it.

AD - I think the OP stated there is NO V5 as the seller applied for (and got) the Cert of Perm Export from the DVLA. As I understand it, the car's still in her name and no VRT has as yet been paid on the car. That's why I think DR might still have a problem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have to say, that is NOT the norm. The cert of permanent export is usually for UK or NI residents who are exporting a vehicle THEMSELVES. It does not apply to a vehicle sold across the border, or to another EU state, to someone else.

If you buy a vehicle in the UK or NI - you MUST get the V5. They do not fill it in, they don't post it off - it goes with you, the purchaser. All they have to do is advise DVLA etc that the vehicle has been exported, once the transaction has been done. Doesn't even need a form.

What I don't understand, if they're NI citizens is......
    1. Why they didn't have a V5 in their name.......
    2. If they are legit NI residents, and 'moving' here, they wouldn't have been liable for VRT, anyway, so why wasn't it registered here ?

...mmmmmm.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

son_i_am_disappoint.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I'd be worried if I bought this car.....

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    I have to say, that is NOT the norm. The cert of permanent export is usually for UK or NI residents who are exporting a vehicle THEMSELVES. It does not apply to a vehicle sold across the border, or to another EU state, to someone else.

If you buy a vehicle in the UK or NI - you MUST get the V5. They do not fill it in, they don't post it off - it goes with you, the purchaser. All they have to do is advise DVLA etc that the vehicle has been exported, once the transaction has been done. Doesn't even need a form.

What I don't understand, if they're NI citizens is......
    1. Why they didn't have a V5 in their name.......
    2. If they are legit NI residents, and 'moving' here, they wouldn't have been liable for VRT, anyway, so why wasn't it registered here ?

...mmmmmm.....

They didnt have the V5 because it wasnt given to them by the previous owner. They sent off the application for the certificate of permanent export which unhelpfully also has V5 written on it and contains all the info that would be in a log book. Outlined in the link i posted earlier: http://www.dvlni.gov.uk/vehicles/veh...rms/V756NI.pdf. .

If they are moving here and changing their permanent address to monaghan shouldnt they change their plates to irish plates and pay vrt?

sesna wrote: »
    son_i_am_disappoint.gif

Thanks for your smug reply. Not very helpful.

mondeo wrote: »
    I'd be worried if I bought this car.....

I am mate thats why Im trying to see what I can do.

They didnt have the V5 because it wasnt given to them by the previous owner. They sent off the application for the certificate of permanent export which unhelpfully also has V5 written on it and contains all the info that would be in a log book. Outlined in the link i posted earlier: http://www.dvlni.gov.uk/vehicles/veh...rms/V756NI.pdf. .

If they are moving here and changing their permanent address to monaghan shouldnt they change their plates to irish plates and pay vrt?

Yes to the plate change, but if they're UK Citizens moving to the RoI permanently, then not necessarily liable for VRT if they can prove both ownership of the vehicle for at least 6 months before moving here AND prove residence in the UK for at least 6 months prior. I've done this myself as a UK Citizen moving to Ireland. Otherwise, I'm afraid VRT will have to be paid. The fact that your seller has told YOU to pay the VRT suggests to me, either she's ignorant of the law here, or deliberately misled you...

But, it's very strange the seller didn't get a V5 from the previous owner either....Why wasn't a duplicate applied for? :confused: How long has your seller owned the car - Did she say????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It all sounds too fishy, tbh.

If they are legit NI residents, moving here, they would have been exempt from VRT, so there was no excuse to NOT register it. Money wouldn't have come into it.

We could all be panicking over nothing, mind........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Yes to the plate change, but if they're UK Citizens moving to the RoI permanently, then not necessarily liable for VRT if they can prove both ownership of the vehicle for at least 6 months before moving here AND prove residence in the UK for at least 6 months prior. I've done this myself as a UK Citizen moving to Ireland. Otherwise, I'm afraid VRT will have to be paid. The fact that your seller has told YOU to pay the VRT suggests to me, either she's ignorant of the law here, or deliberately misled you...

But, it's very strange the seller didn't get a V5 from the previous owner either....Why wasn't a duplicate applied for? :confused: How long has your seller owned the car - Did she say????

She said she owned the car for around half a year and had moved to Monaghan in March. She stated she hadnt applied for a duplicate because the car was going to be exported. That seemed reasonable enough. I feel like a ****ing tool now to be honest. Maybe she was ignorant to the law but its fair to say I have been mislead

galwaytt wrote: »
    It all sounds too fishy, tbh.

If they are legit NI residents, moving here, they would have been exempt from VRT, so there was no excuse to NOT register it. Money wouldn't have come into it.

We could all be panicking over nothing, mind........

I really hope you are right mate, but i feel i have been had on this one! Familiarity with the northern ireland documents and protocol was my problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

if you bring a car from the uk vrt free you cant sell it for a year or you become liable for vrt as far as i know . sounds like this is what happened here

Chaps im guessing legally i dont own this car now until i sort this vrt mess out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

If the cert of export has all the details of the vehicle on it that would be on the V5C (you said that right?) then you can probably re-register it and pay the VRT at your local VRO.

I re-registered a UK registered car on the documents from France that were used to register it in the UK.....no bother to the VRO provided the details were all on it and on the car.

Get in touch with them quick because if you get stopped on UK plates and you havent been in touch with them, the Customs may well take it off you

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    If the cert of export has all the details of the vehicle on it that would be on the V5C (you said that right?) then you can probably re-register it and pay the VRT at your local VRO.

I re-registered a UK registered car on the documents from France that were used to register it in the UK.....no bother to the VRO provided the details were all on it and on the car.

Get in touch with them quick because if you get stopped on UK plates and you havent been in touch with them, the Customs may well take it off you

Am cool but i dont quite get this. The car was originally french and imported to the uk? Im not driving this car, as you said to much of a mess if im stopped.

Like I said earlier - Get in touch with the DVLA/Revenue quick!!! The last thing you want is for Customs/Gards to take your motor...:eek: Until the mess is sorted, I'd try to keep the car off the road as much as possible.

And NO - The car isn't legally yours until this is sorted!! I think you said earlier the Cert of Perm Export is still in the seller's name?

I hope it works out for you.

Revenue are happy enough with this form and i have checked its athenticity with the dva in the north. When i pay the vrt the ownership will transfer to me, thank god. Going to send the car for a pre-nct/ check up with my mechanic before paying the vrt now.

Excellent news! I'm so glad it's worked out for you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Am cool but i dont quite get this. The car was originally french and imported to the uk? Im not driving this car, as you said to much of a mess if im stopped.

without boring you with the details, when i bought it it had been re-registered a couple of years previously having been imported from France, I didnt have the documents at that stage but the VRO accepted the UK documents re-registering it from france as proof of its ID etc and re-registered it here for me.

corktina wrote: »
    without boring you with the details, when i bought it it had been re-registered a couple of years previously having been imported from France, I didnt have the documents at that stage but the VRO accepted the UK documents re-registering it from france as proof of its ID etc and re-registered it here for me.

Cheers mate for your help. Was in with the revenue this morning and they are happy to transfer ownership when i pay the vrt.

Excellent news! I'm so glad it's worked out for you :D

Thanks for your help mate!

Advertisement