Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge red ball few minutes ago...

Options
  • 23-05-2010 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

I just witnessed a huge red ball going through the sky, man that was beautiful.
    It fainted away after one minute, the center was yellowish/orange and a large blow around it.

I never seen something that big, I had the feeling it was going backward and even stayed stationary at some stage, but probably was an optic illusion due to distance/travel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

CaraFawn wrote: »
    I just witnessed a huge red ball going through the sky, man that was beautiful.
    It fainted away after one minute, the center was yellowish/orange and a large blow around it.

I never seen something that big, I had the feeling it was going backward and even stayed stationary at some stage, but probably was an optic illusion due to distance/travel.
    where are
    beside a mountain or the sea
    is this a signal for sos
    save our soles
    think again
    the last time i saw a red ball in sky it was this
    we rang the emergency and shure enough there was a big boat in trouble, people had to be rescued

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭CaraFawn

It did not look like an emergency signal, it was huge and high and ran into clouds, which were high. I could see the blow through clouds for a moment.
    I am next to Phoenix Park, I doubt I could see one from here, if it was at sea.

I believe it went north to south.

It was so huge and I saw it stationnary for several secs, it scared me off that I thought it was going to fall on me (Assuming it was a meteor coming down) and I steped back in the house. After 10-15 secs it went south and faded away through the clouds.

Just found this image on Google, it is very similar to what I saw, but the red glow around was much bigger.

96989381hbpfpA_fs.jpg

If you can't see the pic, go here: http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1096989381038421324hbpfpA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Was it low on the horizon or high?

With respect to a full size moon, how large was it?

FISMA wrote: »
    Was it low on the horizon or high?

With respect to a full size moon, how large was it?

I'd say it was high, I had the head lifted at 45% roughly.
    Compared to a full moon, I would say it was about 1/5 of the size (Including the blowing). The smaller ball inside was bout 1/5 of the total size, very similar to this picture I posted.

I have seen many falling stars before, there was a trail and it was more or less quick. But here no trail and very slow.
    This object stayed over 1 mn in the sky and went away south. It looked like it was on the same altitude all the time. But again I may be wrong and it might be an optical effect.

Check this guy album, the 4 pics at the bottom, it was very similar to this, but closer/or bigger.
    http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/96976305zLcVuU

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

some one posted about a red ball in sky a week or 2 ago, now u seen one too:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

The link you posted is a pic of the sun through the smoke from a forest fire.

You saw a chinese lantern tbh

Calibos wrote: »
    The link you posted is a pic of the sun through the smoke from a forest fire.

You saw a chinese lantern tbh

Ok lol, well I can tell you what I saw was even bigger than this sun but it looked the same with the glowing. That probably was a large burning object, I do not know, since it headed south after 1mn.

It was not a chinese lantern, there is no way.

Apparently there has been a significant amount of sightings in the last couple of months. People are reporting the same thing I saw yesterday, over Ireland, Northern Ireland, UK etc..

http://www.disclose.tv/forum/orange-orb-s-seen-from-all-over-europe-t17966.html

I am not making any assumption here, but what I saw has already been seen by several other people in our region. So I feel a bit less stupid now at least...

s'Funny, yiz all say that :rolleyes:

Sure what would I know, I only spend hours looking at the night sky every week, pointing me 7ft tall 16" diameter telescope at these amazing orange balls of glowing light moving fast across the sky and changing direction that people are always telling me can't be something as simple as a Chinese Lantern, only for me to see.......A Chinese Lantern when I look in the eyepiece.

Theres no convincing some people.

All those vids in the link you posted?......Stars, out of focus stars, twinkly stars and Chinese Lanterns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Same thing happened last night in the Dublin 5/13 area, had friends on facebook saying they say "massive red comets" all heading North to South. Even calls were made into Today FM.

What way has the wind mainly being blowing the last few days? Yep. Would any believe me, no. Chinese lanterns, people. Thats why there are so low and slow and follow the direction of the wind.

Meteor showers are faint and last a second or two max and move very, very fast. A meteor entering the atmosphere would be a bright or brighter than a full moon and would make a racket and that would be a small one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 gomaith2010

did u ever hear of the magic lantern theory?

It was not a lantern that is for sure.

Anyway, if it was, who the heck is launching large chinese lanterns in dublin lol, that, apparently quit a bit of us have seen them over the last few days, all over the country, isle of man and UK?

Is it chinese new year or what?

The Chinese invented fireworks didn't they. Who are all these chinese lads setting off fireworks in Dublin every OCT31st? LoL

You don't have to be Chinese to want to launch a Chinese Lantern FFS.

They are cheap as chips and can be bought at any Party Shop. Loads launched at the end of firework displays, Last years Bray Festival for example. Suprise Suprise, loads seen at Halloween and New Years too. Doesn't have to be a National Holiday or Fireworks display either. Very popular to launch these at Weddings and garden parties.

There doesn't even have to be any particular reason either, just the fact that you had one left over from something and decided to launch it. I was looking out the window down at Bray seafront a few months ago and saw one take off from the Promenade, came in my direction and flew over the house and up over Bray head. A glowing red/orange Orb rising into the night sky......picked up my binoculars right beside me on the windowsill......whaddya know? A Chinese Lantern!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Calibos wrote: »
    There doesn't even have to be any particular reason either, just the fact that you had one left over from something and decided to launch it.

Or there's a load of lads launching them for the craic and sitting watching Boards.ie waiting for "i seen a UFO" threads to appear!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 gomaith2010

Yes that is a good explanation. I was at an event last year where lanterns were launched into the sky after a firework display. it would be very easy to mistake it for a ufo or an unexplained object. They dont move very fast, they glide skywards.

Yes that is a good explanation. I was at an event last year where lanterns were launched into the sky after a firework display. it would be very easy to mistake it for a ufo or an unexplained object. They dont move very fast, they glide skywards.

Actually if only they all just rose skyward. Its the fact that they can travel quite a distance horizontally, speed up slow down, stop, hover, turn around, change direction rapidly etc etc that is the problem. Once its far enough away from the viewer and their eye can't resolve a shape and isn't below a cloud deck, for all intents and purposes it looks like something in space. Hence all the UFO malarkey. Something being blown by the wind, being caught in a crosswind and changing direction, being caught in an updraft from some surface feature etc Well when you see that kind of behaviour from something small but bright and closeby, traveling what is in fact quite slow, well when it looks like its in space, it looks like some amazing thing, travelling at amazing speeds across the stars in the background, doing physics defying manoeuvers.

I have said this before. I have absolutely zero problem with anyone coming to this forum asking about this amazing glowing orange thing they saw wizzing through space.

3/4 of people just laugh it off when they get the pedestrian answer, "Ah, was that what it was? I thought I saw a UFO LOL, well you learn something new everyday!"

What I do have a problem are the people who admit they don't have a clue what they saw, don't know much about space etc, who come asking the people who are looking at the sky every other night and tell us that there is no way what they saw was a chinese lantern despite the fact that they never heard of a chinese lantern 5 minutes before!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I can remeber the first time I saw a chinese latern..I was like wtf and got my friend to pull over his car as we saw this glowing orb over the harbour..suddenly it disappeared and another one appeared...Found out a few minutes later it was chinese new year and the chinese up the hill in the town was setting them off :D.

Advertisement