Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dirty greystones beach.

Options
  • 23-05-2010 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

nice to see lots of people out on the beach enjoying the weather this weekend. The beach was disgraceful though. I noticed on friday that the beach was very littered, particularly in the wrecked volleyball net area. The south beach carpark bin was full and rubbish all over the place this morning. Didn't see it this evening. Then there are the dog owners who don't use leads or bags to clean up after their dogs. They are disgusting people. Greystones doesn't deserve a blue flag for next year. .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I haven't been on the south beach in years. I much prefer the north beach as it's quieter and cleaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Dog poo on the beach is disgusting... definately the worste I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Such a shame, they have a sign yards away from the children's park saying it is ' the world's most liveable community' (Where did that come from?!!!)

The amount of times I have pushed a pram through the dog mess, (in trying to avoid another lot!)I have lost count.

Maybe instead of all the traffic wardens the money should be spent on dog poo and litter wardens!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Greystoner wrote: »
    they have a sign yards away from the children's park saying it is ' the world's most liveable community' (Where did that come from?!!!)

In answer to your question ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb9OvofxTzM

Isn't it interesting how a place can be presented? I always think this video makes Greystones/Charlesland seem much more compact than it is in reality.

I agree whole heartedly that dog owners should be more civic minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 joinerydivision

where is north beach out of interest, I take it south beach is the one by the playground? didnt realise there was another beach (moved here from the UK a couple of years ago and have to say we adore living in greystones)

the dog owners really p me off, we were sitting on the beach the other week with our 18 month old son when a very well dressed and well spoken couple (just to prove the point you cant say its scallys all the time) let their big dog plonk his backside down only 5 feet from where we were eating a picnic and do his business. the didnt even clean it up, I was annoyed with myself after for not offering them one of my son's nappy bags to clean it up and making my point, wish i had and i certainly will in future. My mother in law who lives in eden gate has 2 dogs and always cleans up after them and she says she cant beleive how some dog owners dont do this. it would be great to catch these people on camera and get them a fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

where is north beach out of interest, I take it south beach is the one by the playground? didnt realise there was another beach (moved here from the UK a couple of years ago and have to say we adore living in greystones)
    The North Beach is situated between the old harbour and Bray Head. It has larger stone than the South Beach. Because of the Marina works going on at present the North Beach is not easily accessible. In the photo you will see the North Beach in the foreground
    4037645111_d40880c97f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Greystoner wrote: »
    Such a shame, they have a sign yards away from the children's park saying it is ' the world's most liveable community' (Where did that come from?!!!)

It came from the fact that Greystones is literally feckin' paradise.
    Good God, how do people actually complain about Greystones?

Two more pubs and you would actually go there to die if you were a good boy/girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Like dogs myself, and have owned some in the past, but it's the irresponsible owners (not all!) that are ruining Greystones reputation!

Not everyone goes to pubs either, so Greystones having more pubs is not necessarily a bonus! (public urination and vomiting from the over excess too?!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

The South Beach is a disgrace in general. Grass growing all over it and the Volleyball net rotting off another bit each week.

Gone are the days of vast amounts of people sitting listening to Mister Batty give his morning sermon on a beautiful glorious pristine beach.

The North Beach is rugged and wild but its a great walk especially exploring the ruins at the very end.

I concur Greystones is a paradise but it becomes a little less every day as people treat it with contempt

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

The North Beach is rugged and wild but its a great walk especially exploring the ruins at the very end.

Did'nt know they had already opened access to the harbour. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

That Grass and reeds growing in it are what's going to stop it getting washed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

We bring our dog to the beach, always pick up her poo....but i have seen others (going to be contraversial here) mostly " women " who suddenly get a call on their mobile and pretend to be ignoring the dog :rolleyes:....and old people too....
    But by far the most annoying thing is the empty beer cans,bottles of pee ( i think ), pizza boxes etc that appear every sunday morning....i'm guessin it'll be EVERY morning when the schools close....:(
    Chances are that these kids are more than likely related to the same people giving out about the dog poo .....:P

people..glasshouses..etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I prefer walking on kilcoole beach but it's just as bad there.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Two Boys

d'Oracle wrote: »
    It came from the fact that Greystones is literally feckin' paradise.
    Good God, how do people actually complain about Greystones?

Two more pubs and you would actually go there to die if you were a good boy/girl.

There are so many worse places! You get litter whereever you go unfortunatley, Really Greystones is pretty clean...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Two Boys wrote: »
    There are so many worse places! You get litter whereever you go unfortunatley, Really Greystones is pretty clean...

The town itself is, and surrounding area, but the beach can be in an awful state at times. People drinking, lighting fires (Which I have no problem wtih at all, it's good fun) but please bring your cans home with ye, looks disgusting all the empties on the beach, and the dog poo is unreal... It's disgusting, if you have a dog and don't clean up after it, then shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Leave my ruins alone! I swim off them twice a week this time of year. I love it as I rarely see any other souls about. I guess it's because most people think that the stinky south beach is all we have. Inaccessible is hardly the word I would use to describe the north beach. I think most people are just too lazy to make the effort to walk up it.

I probably shouldn't talk the north beach up as more people will probably ruin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

we're on our way!

Advertisement