Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports in Waterford City

• 24-05-2010 1:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,648 ✭✭✭✭

I dont know if these woudl go with this fourm but anyway

An intresting point was given on Anfearrua saying that Hurling and Soccer are the most dominted sports in Waterford City. Ur Views

I agree that both sports hasve a massive following in the city but i belive that Gaelic Football also plays a part too. Waterford Footballs reputation is growing rapidly in the country and Countie. We are one step away from a Munster Football Final and have gained promotion to the Division 3 of the league for 2011. I was one of the few people that travelled up to dungarvan from the city for the munster football quarter final yesterday and on the bank holiday weekend the footballers will be playing on sunday and the hurlers on monday. will many travel from the city for the football ??. In the senoir club football championship there are only 2 football clubs in city St Savouris and Gaultier and a number of promosing footballers have joined county football clubs it Tony Grey who is Waterford Football captain(Transferd from De la salle to Stradbally).

I think that more Intercounty football games should be played in the Walsh Park so more from the city can see the footballers play. The Hurlers play both in Walsh park and in Dungarvan why cant the footballers do that too. I know that football is huge in the west of the county but so is hurling. Why is Football so poor in the City and both codes are popular in the west of the county.

Rugby also has a great following in Waterford City. Munster and Ireland have a big following. The Munster A team played here in Feburary and there was a great support base out in the rsc for the game but its not played to a real serouis level in the City. Waterpark RFC are now in the All Ireland Junoir Leagues coming down from AIB divison 3 and Waterford city Rfc are in the Munster junoir leagues. Waterpark Secondery school is the Rugby Nursury in the city winning many games in munster but do not compete in the Munster Senoir Schools Cup. It would really see a growth in the playing of rugby in the city if they did play in the Munster Senoir Schools cup. Im not saying that no youngster plays rugby in Waterford city but its not on par with say Rugby in Limerick and Cork Citys or even in Clare.

Other sports in Waterford City which are popular are Tennis (St Annes), Rowing (Waterford Boat Club), Athletics and Boxing.

Really Waterford is not just a Hurling or a soccer city it has a wide range of sports to choose from.

ur Views.??

Sorry for going a bit mad lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

We also have some of the best swimmers in the country, and Waterford schools usually do well in basketball at National level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

PTH2009 wrote: »

Rugby also has a great following in Waterford City.

Really? I wouldn't it has that great a following, especially not compared to Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Waterford has always been well known for Amateur Boxing [esp underage] and has/is well respected for the level and high standard of boxers it has produced over the years .

Also over the last ten years or more ,Waterford has established its on the Kick Boxing Scene ,producing some fantastic results national and international.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

... and lets not forget Cycling/Triathlon from the county that gave us Sean Kelly (whose Annual challenge cycle, the Sean Kelly Tour is the largest cycling event in the country attracting 3300 participants or so last year.

Between the local cycling clubs Comeragh CC, Sportif Waterford, Waterford Tri Club, Dungarvan CC, we have in the region of 250-300 bike riders and there are probably at least that many again just out there keeping fit on their bikes from my observations. Comeragh was the club that Ciaran Power came from, 2 time RAS winner, 2 time Olympian and pro cyclist on the continent and in the US for more than a decade, the club had a team in the RAS last year and top 10 positions in the national A championships as well as many other victories including the team prize in the national B championships 3 of the last 4 years. Dungarvan CC had a breakthrough year last year too with victories which they have continued this year, whilst the newly formed Sportif club goes from strength to strength and continues to swell in membership catering for all kinds of cyclists, from leisure to racing to mountainbiking.

The Tri Club records victories in their respective categories on a regular basis too and are particularly strong in the Vet categories.

I am not sure that I can think of another sport that is growing as fast as cycling in Waterford. Comeragh CC swelled in membership by 80% over its average for the past 20 years in the past 12 months, whilst the Sportif club have gone from zero to nearly 100 members in the same time. The Sean Kelly tour has doubtless played its part going from 800 participants to 3300 in the space of 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Would love to see some baseball and american football played here :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Rugby is definitely growing in popularity, when my son started at Waterpark nearly 6 years ago they struggled to make a team for his age group, a few years later they could easily field 3 teams in his age group and there are more and more children joining each year. Sports shops have also seen an increase in the sale of rugby related gear.

De La Salle College will be starting a school rugby club this coming September and there's plenty of interest in it already. At the college's recent awards night I was impressed at the sporting achievements of the pupils, especially in the sports that do not get the same level of attention as some of the more traditional sports. Some pupils had won medals at national and european level in sports such as swimming, cricket, martial arts, badminton, golf, tennis and rowing, a few more that I cannot remember.

My other son plays hurling and gaelic football for both his school and club, as well as soccer for his club and street league, had to drop athletics to accommodate these sports and he'd love to play rugby if it didn't clash with his already full agenda.

I think it's great that there is a wide variety of sport options not just the couple of traditional sports. Anything to encourage children to get involved in sport and hopefully carry through into adulthood has got to be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

TBF in my experience Hurling really isn't that well followed untill about the semi final then everyone is mad for it.

Problem with Waterford is the band wagon gets jumped on for pretty much everything, Waterford United should be getting 1 or even 2 thousand people for a home game and they did whenever a "big name" came into town.

I have so much respect for the ones who slog out the hard or non glam times and espically the fans of the football (GAA) and easily known if they do go on a run everyone will be out in force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

There's very little following for the womens team sports such as camogie or gaelic football compared to the mens teams. Maybe if they had beach volleyball in Woodstown then there might be a following.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I for one would follow that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

one well kept secret that waterford people dont seem to know about is that some of the best squash players in the country come from waterford.
    celtic squash club won the all ireland club championships a few years ago and went on to represent ireland at the european team championships in germany.
    a few ex irish no.1 play there still. a great tradition of squash in waterford, pity all these great players have nowhere decent to play...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Shock horror, GAA site says GAA Sport most popular in certain area.

Advertisement