Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Impound for Hit & Run

• 24-05-2010 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

I was recently involved in a Hit & Run. The offending car... a white celica - same make, model and value as my own.
    To cut a long story short, we caught the man who did it. He was banned off the road 3 years ago... so no licence and no insurance. He is going to court.
    Now he has claimed he has no job and no money to pay for the repair of my own car, meaning I have to go through my insurance to replace my damaged car (which was parked in a car park at the time). At this point i would like to point out the damage done - 2 side panels need replacing, passenger door, bonnet, bumper, all 6 lights, and a twisted chassis in 2 places. The car has been declared a write off, not only for insurances purposes but as the chassis is bent.

My question is as he can not pay out do i have any legal right asking for his car to replace my own, as it got away with very little damage... Surely his car should be impounded off him as he has no need for one... and as he keeps driving it illegally, this would be the only way to stop him...

I am annoyed as he can cause this much damage and get away with it so lightly. He does not have to pay out as he 'can't afford to' and he gets to keep his car. The guards refuse to get involved in the matter of money to fix up my car. They only say ask him yourself... So is this a possible outcome...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sorry, but I think the legal discussion forum is a better place to ask this question, as you're asking legal questions not motoring ones. Be sure to read the charter first though, as I think only hypotheticals are allowed.

Edit - and don't take anything that's posted on a message board as fact. A solicitor is the best person to advise you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement