Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clogged percolation area

• 24-05-2010 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

As mentioned, I have a clogged percolation area... help. There are 3 households with seven people waiting on a good bath..

Assuming that the septic tank is overused and after some good advice it seems that the best option is to add another leachfield. I am not keen to use a pump (electrics) so preferably not a raised system.

Googling has made it confusing with the amount of "solutions" around.

Has anybody used enzyme products to clear the percolation area? (and biomat)
    Or know of any other methods that might clear the area?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Seek professional advice from EPA / FAS approved Soil Tester, with full PI insurance.
    (See L.A web site for approved list of Agents).

Planning permission with be required :-
    1. for positioning a new percolation area or
    2. constructing a raised percolation area or
    3. installing a new treatment plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 riveter

Thanks for that RKQ, found the list of advisors.

You are very welcome.

Check your original planning permission - if it was granted after 1991, then a "Reserve Percolation Area" to S.R6:1991 will be shown on your site plan.

You can build a new percolation area in this Reserve Percolation Area without a new planning application, so check your documents! S.R.6:1991 was the national standard up to recently and still is the only standard refered to in our Building Regulations. Many Councils now refer to EPA Recommendations. (Soon to become law as per EU Court decision)

S.R.6:1991 required a Percolation Area & a reserve Percolation Area to be shown on the proposed Site Plan. So that if the original percolation area failed then the reserved could be installed and used asap.

PM any queries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

1. get the septic tank emptied. That buys you time and a bath.
    2. Check all pipework is clear of blockages and sludge/grease build up.
    3. Dig big deep hole next to septic tank.
    4.Lay 4" sewer from new 5" hole drilled 14" down from top of septic tank across to new big hole.
    5.Attatch perforated 4" pipe to sewer pipe in hole and wrap it with fabric.(Geotex)
    6.Fill big hole with stone(4" down to 2" if poss)
    7.Cover big stoney hole with soil and sow grass.
    8.Enjoy baths.
    There are much posher versions of the above, but you get the jist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 riveter

RKQ, Yes it was granted after that so will dig up the paperwork ( a job in itself)

Dunsandin, Likin' your instructions :).
    Was checking material this morning and found out that percolation pipe is ordinary sewerage pipe with holes drilled in it, at more than three times the price.
    Business venture anyone?

• Advertisement

Once you find your Site Plan, you'll be able to construct the reserve percolation area. Its worth checking you septic tank to ensure its working correctly. It should be emptied once a year.

A copy of your planning documents can be ordered from your L.A for a fee, (it might be still available to download for free if its on the internet still).

Its worth refurbishing your existing percolation area, once you determine the actual cause of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ecoboy

Hi riveter.
    Seems odd to have THREE households using the one septic tank and also seems urgent if 7 folks are waiting to wash!! Needs some serious discussions between the households and some fast investment. Get new / bigger septic tank and rework your percolation area. Sorting enzymes or reedbeds or whatever, isn't a fast solution, and you need one. Don't think green, think 'let's sort it'...fast.

dunsandin wrote: »
    3. Dig big deep hole next to septic tank.
    4.Lay 4" sewer from new 5" hole drilled 14" down from top of septic tank across to new big hole.
    5.Attatch perforated 4" pipe to sewer pipe in hole and wrap it with fabric.(Geotex)
    6.Fill big hole with stone(4" down to 2" if poss)

:confused: What can I say?
    Read S.R.6:1991 - otherwise you will endanger public health.
    (The latest EPA Guildlines can be downloaded from their site. Includes diagrams of percolation areas, details on trench construction, laying Geotextile membrane on top of trench etc)

Use proper smooth walled pipe (drilled) do not use yellow drainage perforated pipe.
    Construct a legal reserve percolation area.
    Do not pollute your well or your neighbours well!

Ensure all works comply fully with S.R.6:1991 (why try to re-invent the wheel and end up building a disaster?)

I agree that you need to get this sorted asap, once you find whats causing the problem.

Agreed, sr6 1991 is posher version of what I said, but mine was just a brief outline, theirs is well considered plan constructed by highly paid engineers and consultants. But the jist is much the same, and mine is closer to reality of what happens the ground! Theirs just sounds better in theory. In practice both are a stony hole designed to absorb and percolate the liquid fraction of what enters a septic tank. Ive seen lots of beautifully constructed, meet all rules types of perc areas that didnt do what it said on the tin. Stony hole with pipework to distribute sh177y water, refine that as you will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

But you are affording no protection to the groundwater.
    A properly constructed percolation area will be constructed so that a minimum seperation distance (1.2m to base of trench) will be afforded to the watertable.
    The percolation area provides a significant amount of treatment to the wastewater before it ultimately reaches the watertable.
    Although it was common practice once upon a time, what you are suggesting is now illegal and likely to pollute the groundwater.

• Advertisement

I agree with what you are saying, and I think the whole septic tank thing is a far far from ideal solution to the problem, but watertables are notoriously slippery customers, very up and down types, as are rain driven washoff, poor soil suitability for percolation and a host of other issues. In an ideal world, all wastewater and foul would go to a processing facility, be treated and discharged as grey. But its a bit rich to be calling what I said as a.not what happens. b.not what happens despite the best intentions and systems. c. even remotely worse than what most local authorities do in discharging raw untreated sewage by the millions of gallons every day of the week. Pot.kettles.Black. Even the best system of percolation is a compromise, and what most have in Ireland is not within a country mile of being close to a "best" system. Sadly, obviously.Plainly, the list I posted was, again, intended as nothing more than a synopsis, omitting many important steps to ensure legislative compliance. Obviously the OP would have to fully inform themselves of the regs pertaining and follow those to the letter to ensure best practice and environmental compliance.

Advertisement