Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfers & Helmets.

Options
  • 24-05-2010 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

I was in Lahinch at the weekend.:D On Friday evening I noticed a surfer [just one] wearing a helmet/head protector, well done,[imo].
    Considering the ammount of surfers in the water at any one time over the weekend, is there the potential for a serious head/spinal injury due to a "collision"?
    Is wearing something like this "not cool"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Do you surf? Have you tried with a helmet? People need to learn to control their own boards and anticipate those around them. If they want to surf close enough to others whereby theyare at risk, it is up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I surf a long board with a very heavy glass job so I were a helmet incase I get hit by my own board, it's easy for a off shore wind to catch a board in a wipe out or when you bail off a close out....

I don't like hoods and find the helmet warm enough in winter - only just though. I also stop my balding head from getting fried in the summer. It's much nice surfing with out one but I've gotten used to it.

Helmets are a good idea but as Old ( slightly grumpy) Guy says hang on to your board and keep an eye on others, if you get hit by a board it might not be the head and it's still going to hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Emelio

what next - suit of armour?

but that would rust, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Was in lahinch at the weekend and noticed a guy wearing a fishermans hat.
    Was it "uncool"? who cares! Did he get his head sunburnt? Nah! :cool:

Personally wouldn't wear a helmet because nobody else is wearing one. Not thats its uncool, it just seems unnecessary. Not really crowded enough in this country.

I suppose if I was surfing a rocky, crowded reef break in some far flung land I might.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Some people wear helmets on bikes!! Just wait until they make helmets compulsory while surfing, windsurfing etc. ;-)
    I personally am more worried about getting hit in the face/eyes/teeth by a board than on the head. Would wear helmet if I started surfing shallow reefs for sure but other than that I ain't too bothered. Have started wearing helmet while windsurfing in knarly conditions and have also started wearing one while skiing.
    Still don't wear one while riding my bike around town though, too inconvenient and, touch wood, I've never hit the deck.
    It's all about what you feel is right for you. I think people need to be aware of the risks involved, be aware of what is going on around them and then make their own judgement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

The main reason people wear helmets is that they have been hit by a board before (someone else's) or sustained an injury in the past.

I know one person who has to wear a helmet as he sustained a head injury year's ago while sailing and another bad knock to the head would not be a good thing - the same way the Chelsea goalkeeper where's a protective thing on his head.

Also, the thoughts of one's own 10" longboard fin landing straight down on one's head isn't that appealing to some people - or someone else's board being washed into them while trying to get out back.

I don't wear one myself but have no issues with those who do.

That was Ben from Ben's Surf Clinic in the hat - I didn't wear one and I got sunburnt on the top of my head.... where my bald patch is starting to develop.

Advertisement