Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold weather on the way

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

well we only got to 9.9c today in wall to wall sunshine! That is a discrace in may.

After a ****e winter, we just want a bit of heat!

not in france anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The good news is that the latest ECM sets us up for a repeat of last years June bank holiday:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Birdnuts wrote: »
    The good news is that the latest ECM sets us up for a repeat of last years June bank holiday:)

im praying for this! I live in leixlip and the leixlip festival is on over the bank holiday, we had great weather last yr and it was the best 4 days ive had in the town.

and is that 25c again?? for 3 weeks or something not Four days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

owenc wrote: »
    and is that 25c again?? for 3 weeks or something not Four days!

We need some serious rain at this stage; everything is turning to dust. I won't say no to another warm spell but please let us have a decent drop of rain before hand if even just for the gardens. To date, I have recorded less rain in the whole of 2010 so far than I did in one month in November last.

Total ridiculous at this stage. :(:(:(

We need some serious rain at this stage; everything is turning to dust. I won't say no to another warm spell but please let us have a decent drop of rain before hand if even just for the gardens. To date, I have recorded less rain in the whole of 2010 so far than I did in one month in November last.

Well i haven't had much rain either but its not a drought everything is fine here, we had rain about 3/4 weeks ago. I hate it i hope it stays away i'll be fine without it. When does it get dark at 11.30pm and bright at 2.30?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Serious growth restrictions in all grass and tillage fields at the moment . . .

owenc, we got nearly 20C today . . more than 9.9 anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Saturday looks pretty wet for most according to the latest fax charts from the UK MetO

Serious growth restrictions in all grass and tillage fields at the moment . . .

owenc, we got nearly 20C today . . more than 9.9 anyway!!!

you were just about under the high pressure 8c for tomorrow!!

• Advertisement

Saturday looks pretty wet for most according to the latest fax charts from the UK MetO

NOOOOOO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

DE you hoping for a storm ;)

delw wrote: »
    DE you hoping for a storm ;)

Yep :o

Did anyone else spot these all too rare altocumulus clouds in the late afternoon today? (image attached). The sort of clouds that would herald a thunderstorm normally,

but not so this time! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Yep :o

Did anyone else spot these all too rare altocumulus clouds in the late afternoon today? (image attached). The sort of clouds that would herald a thunderstorm normally,

but not so this time! :mad:

Yes! I saw these on the way home from work. I didn't have a camera to take a photo. They looked like ghosts :D Very cool though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Totally agree.

I just want rain, fields are starting to burn in some places from the thirst. I don't care if it gets a bit cold or too warm once it rains but the heat and no rain is just a disaster and cold weather is no make up either with no rain....

Rain, Rain come and stay (within reason)
    Water the ground then go away (but not for too long)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

we must be just lucky because the grass is growing fine here.
    anyway it looks like over the coming day those who want rain will see some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Min wrote: »
    Totally agree.

I just want rain, fields are starting to burn in some places from the thirst. I don't care if it gets a bit cold or too warm once it rains but the heat and no rain is just a disaster and cold weather is no make up either with no rain....

Rain, Rain come and stay (within reason)
    Water the ground then go away (but not for too long)

We'll have enough rain in July and August, jeez, what is it with this country, a few weeks of relatively dry weather and we start screaming about drought! :rolleyes:
    Cant wait to hear the complaining when the floods come! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Cherrycola wrote: »
    We'll have enough rain in July and August, jeez, what is it with this country, a few weeks of relatively dry weather and we start screaming about drought! :rolleyes:

To be honest the whole year has been dry? Very dry winter and Spring.

It is not just a few weeks of dry weather, it has been a dry winter and spring, the only major precipitation events since the November rains around here has been the two blizzard events - January and March, highly unusual.

Rain won't be much good to me in July and August if there was to be no rain in the next few days, crops that have been sown needs water and grass growth has been very poor.

Met Eireann have been a disgrace in my opinion, on the farming forecast they talked about growth being restricted due to the soil moisture deficits, then this morning on the 7:55am used 'I'm afraid' when announcing rain is due for Saturday, I would be afraid if there was no rain in sight.
    I have very dry land and it can take lots of rain, it needs it very badly now.

I don't get flooded, snowed in - yes, iced in - yes, full blunt of storms - yes, heat - yes, floods - no.......I just see the rain running off to join a stream to join a river to join the Nore to maybe flood parts of the Thomastown area........

But why complain so much about it?! How is that going to change the weather?

Water the lawn if its going brown, which in itself is weird, because i havent seen any scorched, dry dusty gardens or fields since i moved home from the Middle East last year!
    If anything my bloody lawn wont stop growing, im mowing it every other week! :mad:

• Advertisement

Water the lawn if its going brown, which in itself is weird, because i havent seen any scorched, dry dusty gardens or fields since i moved home from the Middle East last year!
    If anything my bloody lawn wont stop growing, im mowing it every other week! :mad:

It is not the lawn that matters, it is fields of grass for cattle, fields of grass for next winter's feed for the cattle, it is fields that have crops sown and the seed is up and if it doesn't rain the crop will die and cost a lot of money.

I have seen patches on fields usually on a brow where the grass is burnt, it all depends on the soil, naturally dry soils are crying out for rain, naturally damper soils are in heaven right now.

It is natural to complain about the weather :D

Better get your watering can out so and start walking! :p

Maybe time for farmers to invest in some sort of irrigation system if this level of dry weather is going to cost them crops year after year.

the only major precipitation events since the November rains around here has been the two blizzard events - January and March, highly unusual.

Consider yourself lucky Min, we didn't even have one here :o

Models seem to be slowly backing away from bringing us any serious frontal rain this coming weekend. Increasing chance of showers alright over the next few days but looks very hit and miss jobs, and no doubt this area will be one the places that will be in the miss zone. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Everything is yellow here & has been since March. Our field burnt about 3 weeks ago, went up in no time at all. Very small amount of green growing through in it's place.

ch750536 wrote: »
    Everything is yellow here & has been since March. Our field burnt about 3 weeks ago, went up in no time at all. Very small amount of green growing through in it's place.

Still fairly green, if in an increasingly lacklustre way around here but for how much longer? No serious heat as of yet to soak up what little moisture is left in the ground so far but should it arrive before any rain falls we could be looking at 40 shades of brown rather than green for the 2nd time this year. :(:o:(

Six One news reported on the exceptional dry spell earlier, esp with regard the impacts on farming:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0526/6news_av.html?2760926,%20null,230

If only we had a forecast like this:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0531/6news_av.html?2381780,%20null,230

from the 31st May 2008. :D. A really remarkable and violent thunderstorm passed just to my east that evening. Last time I heard individual thunderclaps overriding one another with frightening frequency. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

No serious heat as of yet to soak up what little moisture is left in the ground so far but should it arrive before any rain falls we could be looking at 40 shades of brown rather than green for the 2nd time this year. :(:o:(
    Looking like there could be some heavy rain from Sunday evening thru to Monday morning. Bad news (in terms of soil moisture deficits) is the couple of days following that look mostly sunny with temps into the low 20's in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

It is not just a few weeks of dry weather, it has been a dry winter and spring, the only major precipitation events since the November rains around here has been the two blizzard events - January and March, highly unusual.

Rain won't be much good to me in July and August if there was to be no rain in the next few days, crops that have been sown needs water and grass growth has been very poor.

Met Eireann have been a disgrace in my opinion, on the farming forecast they talked about growth being restricted due to the soil moisture deficits, then this morning on the 7:55am used 'I'm afraid' when announcing rain is due for Saturday, I would be afraid if there was no rain in sight.
    I have very dry land and it can take lots of rain, it needs it very badly now.

I don't get flooded, snowed in - yes, iced in - yes, full blunt of storms - yes, heat - yes, floods - no.......I just see the rain running off to join a stream to join a river to join the Nore to maybe flood parts of the Thomastown area........

Damn you min, sending me those floods. :mad:

have you ever seen a film called The World's Fastest Indian? If so you'll know the solution to the lawn problem
    :pac:

have you ever seen a film called The World's Fastest Indian? If so you'll know the solution to the lawn problem
    :pac:

It's not one of those weird films set in Mayo again is it?

• Advertisement

It's not one of those weird films set in Mayo again is it?

:P

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412080/

Advertisement