Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

01 car parked up for a year and now for another 3

• 24-05-2010 4:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭

Hey just looking for some general opinions or advice.

I have an 01 nissan almera (super sound car, never gave any bother)

It has only 80,000 miles/kms (cant remember what the clock is measured in)

I travelled to Oz for a year and parked it up, came back and drove her for about a year and a half. Since then I have moved to South America(temporarily but I am still here after two years and will prob stay another year.) All the while is parked up in a shed out of the elements but no other special loving other than that. Handbrake is off and whatever little bit of petrol that was in it has prob evaporated by now. I can't really ask anyone to go to the bother of starting her and giving her a little run in the yard. My wishful thinking is that in another year I will be able to return and drive off into the sunset so to speak. Should I have any doubts?? Selling her won't get me much I guess so I feel it's better to just have her parked up. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Plenty of cars have been driven away after being parked up for years. Better not to start it at all then to start it once a week to be left idling for a bit. It'll need a full service before you start it, but beyond that it'll be fine. Just as well you left the handbrake off though.

She'll be fine, may be no harm to get the timing belt changed when you come back (if it has one). Battery will no doubt be flat but I reckon she'll start on the petrol in her.

BTW if I was in South America the car parked up at home in the shed would be the last thing I'd be thinking about :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

My car was parked up for one year, then (jump) started, moved to another spot where it was parked up for another two years.

Last month I washed the old girl, charged up the battery, started her up and drove around for 20 minutes or so.

She passed the NCT the next morning. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

things like the exhaust valve being open could lead to rust inside the engine.rubbers will dry up and crack..if you could leave the keys with a friend and ask them to take it a spin and wash it every 3 months or so it would help the car alot, it would keep everything lubricated etc,the tyres will need changing after you come home as they will be persihed and cracked etc.

Advertisement