Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to cut broadband over illegal downloads - READ POST#1 WARNING

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

As for your other point - dtecnet is a private company who goes on ip addresses they get via p2p, hardly the best detective work and not very trustworthy.

Mistakes can happen, but that's why it's 3 strikes and not 1. In fact, it won't be until the 4th warning letter that you're actually disconnected. No details of any possible appeals procedure have come to light, but that doesn't mean you won't have right to appeal the warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

of course there will - if you know how p2p works.

yes it is pretty much impossible that anyone will get even two warnings that were not their fault even if a wifi spot is misused but still it will cause hassle to get a call/letter.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Actually if someone is ripping off your wifi receipt of a letter will be of benefit to you and allow you to sort our your security!:)

yes, but wireless security is not always secure.

Plus what about proxies?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

has anyone actually got a letter yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Nanoc wrote: »
    has anyone actually got a letter yet?
    There's a copy of the letter here but I'm not sure if that's from someone having received it, or someone from eircom leaking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

yes, but wireless security is not always secure.
    If setup correctly then it is pretty much impossible to crack or at least not feasible to crack. Users should be thankful of receiving a call from Eircom as they will get help in closing the security hole.
    Plus what about proxies?
    If a person opens a proxy to other users then that is there problem and they are responsible for the consequences.

You're really grasping at straws. There is no reason why a person who doesn't illegally share music via torrents or other p2p networks should fear this or have a problem with it.

What people should be putting their energies into is getting Eircom to unblock The Pirate Bay instead since that is a different ball game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Vodafone joining in: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0616/1224272615990.html

Any word on Digiweb? I need to get a bundle ordered this week, want to avoid giving my business to idiots that ink these deals.

I'm not - a lot of people are still stuck on Eircoms default password and we all know how easy that is to get by.

Even wpa is ''feasible''.

I'm not - a lot of people are still stuck on Eircoms default password and we all know how easy that is to get by.
    That is where the hotline comes in to help those people so no excuse there for getting caught a second time.
    Even wpa is ''feasible''.
    No its not. The only way to break WPA is via dictionary attacks. Use a proper pass phrase (63 random alphanumeric characters) and it will not be broken.

• Advertisement

what and save it on your computer? then your computer security in general better be tip top.

what and save it on your computer? then your computer security in general better be tip top.
    and the locks on your house better be tip top too. Maybe eircom should block stupid people from the Internet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No one is stuck on anything. They haven't changed their security settings, either out of laziness or ignorance, but they can change it. A warning letter will be one way of getting people to do this, if their wifi has been compromised.

If someone has physical access to your computer, then unless the router is in a safe they should have no problem plugging an Ethernet cable into it. Also, all passwords for Wifi access are stored in plain text on the PC, so no matter what password you use, anyone with physical access to the PC will be able to simply read the password.

If you're worried about the people in your household that have physical access to your computer as some sort of risk, then you have bigger problems than Wifi security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

jor el wrote: »

If you're worried about the people in your household that have physical access to your computer as some sort of risk, then you have bigger problems than Wifi security.

...Which takes us back to the fact that mom / dad is paying for the connection. Trouble for them is, no matter how many letters they get, the little darlings will still use p2p illegally and in the clumsiest possible way. Expect these to be the first disconnects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

...Which takes us back to the fact that mom / dad is paying for the connection. Trouble for them is, no matter how many letters they get, the little darlings will still use p2p illegally and in the clumsiest possible way. Expect these to be the first disconnects.

Then it's mammy and daddies fault for not securing their machine or sorting out their kid.

RangeR wrote: »
    Then it's mammy and daddies fault for not securing their machine or sorting out their kid.

I'm not laying blame or making excuses, just stating a likely fact.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Their little darlings won't be using the net for illegal p2p use when the parents get through with them though

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm not laying blame or making excuses, just stating a likely fact.

How is it fact? Do you have facts and statistics to back up your claim?

Of course you don't, as such its your personal view

Cabaal wrote: »
    How is it fact? Do you have facts and statistics to back up your claim?

Of course you don't, as such its your personal view

Of course I don't have facts or statistics - we're talking about the future here. I'm entitled to express my opinion of what the future facts will be.

Of course I don't have facts or statistics - we're talking about the future here. I'm entitled to express my opinion of what the future facts will be.
    There is no such thing as future facts.

• Advertisement

Some of it is stupidity, some is ignorance but most is just them using the computer and not giving a shít about how it works etc.

This is a fact - just look at most of the security problems since computers took of were out of carelessness.

I am just pointing out the many flaws and the many many better ways the IRMA could be sorting out this problem.

A hint is it should not involve a private company who are doing the job a four year old could do.

Some of it is stupidity, some is ignorance but most is just them using the computer and not giving a shít about how it works etc.

This is a fact - just look at most of the security problems since computers took of were out of carelessness.

I am just pointing out the many flaws and the many many better ways the IRMA could be sorting out this problem.

A hint is it should not involve a private company who are doing the job a four year old could do.
    Firstly ignorance is never a defences in the eyes of the law.

Secondly if IRMA got "four year old"s to do the job you and others would be complaining that experts are not providing the evidence thus it should be ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Speaking of future facts, Dick Doyle of Irma has been quoting this "80% will stop illegally downloading" figure everywhere. Does anyone know if this comes from a reputable source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Of course that's just a guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

blubloblu wrote: »
    Speaking of future facts, Dick Doyle of Irma has been quoting this "80% will stop illegally downloading" figure everywhere. Does anyone know if this comes from a reputable source?

I'd say that they pulled this figure out of nowhere. There have been numerous reports about the inaccuracies in figures quoted by groups like IRMA. Here's one from Ars Technica: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/04/us-government-finally-admits-most-piracy-estimates-are-bogus.ars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just saw this on Torrentfreak.com.Seems that Vodafone have signed up on the 3 strikes bandwagon:mad: "Keeping its promise to Ireland’s largest ISP, Eircom, the music industry has targeted the country’s second largest ISP, Vodafone. According to a new report, Vodafone is in talks with the Irish Recorded Music Association about issuing warnings and eventually disconnecting its file-sharing customers. Since its introduction last month, around 800 Eircom customers have already received their first strike".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

zerks wrote: »
    Just saw this on Torrentfreak.com.Seems that Vodafone have signed up on the 3 strikes bandwagon:mad: "Keeping its promise to Ireland’s largest ISP, Eircom, the music industry has targeted the country’s second largest ISP, Vodafone. According to a new report, Vodafone is in talks with the Irish Recorded Music Association about issuing warnings and eventually disconnecting its file-sharing customers. Since its introduction last month, around 800 Eircom customers have already received their first strike".
    What's interesting in that article (Link - HERE) is that they say 800 people have received their first warning thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you think there is something dodgy about IRMA, MCPS, IPAA, RIAA or whatever 4 letter initials they use...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/17/google_music_infrastructure/

The "Freetards" on Youtube (owned by Google) might like it, but it could be bad for creators.

• Advertisement

z0oT wrote: »
    What's interesting in that article (Link - HERE) is that they say 800 people have received their first warning thus far.

Gievn that number has also been reported in the Irish Times I'd tend to believe it,

Just because somebody doesn't post on boards.ie saying they got one doesn't make it untrue :)

Advertisement