Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to cut broadband over illegal downloads - READ POST#1 WARNING

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Cabaal wrote: »
    Just because somebody doesn't post on boards.ie saying they got one doesn't make it untrue

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

axer wrote: »
    There is no such thing as future facts.

The world will end, you will die. Future Facts.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BubbaBear

Steviemak wrote: »
    The world will end, you will die. Future Facts.;)

The world will probably end. You will probably die. The fact that no one has posted on boards that they are immortal does not mean immortals do not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Elite_Etnisa

But sure 99 % of people download illegal stuff off the web its simple and eircom should shut the hell up ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

BubbaBear wrote: »
    The world will probably end. You will probably die. The fact that no one has posted on boards that they are immortal does not mean immortals do not exist.

May not be a immortal human but immortal none the less

Turritopsis nutricula

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

How funny would it be if eircom employees got disconnected.I wonder if the guys that came up with the 3 strikes rule ever taped music off the radio back in the day before t'internet came along.If I buy a cd and loan it to a friend am i breaching copyright,its not up to me if they copy it before they return it to me.Ireland returning to the old days of people being told what they can and can't do,may as well move to China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Blindpew2

What would happen if you just recorded music from an online radio station? Would Eircom give you a strike for that I wonder.

Hope you don't have the online radio too loud in case someone else hears it-imro will want payment :D.Talk Talk in UK proved that this legislation is virtually unenforceable due to so many unsecured wireless networks.I know eircom will say you should have your network secure but with a customer base of older people who aren't computer savvy who will they blame?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Is it related to Torrents?....or stuff from Rapidshare or Megaupload etc?

Blindpew2 wrote: »
    What would happen if you just recorded music from an online radio station? Would Eircom give you a strike for that I wonder.
    Is it related to Torrents?....or stuff from Rapidshare or Megaupload etc?

It only applies to illegal music downloaded via bittorrent, nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

It only applies to illegal music downloaded via bittorrent, nothing else.

So if somebody downloads with uTorrent or a different torrent client it doesn't make a difference or do you mean torrents being downloaded in general?

Either way people will just pay 50 to RapidShare and download from there. Although RS have gave up customers in the past.

Osu wrote: »
    So if somebody downloads with uTorrent or a different torrent client it doesn't make a difference or do you mean torrents being downloaded in general?

Yah, torrents being downloaded in general. It doesn't matter what client you use, if you download an illegal music torrent from any torrent site you're at risk of getting caught.
    Either way people will just pay 50 to RapidShare and download from there. Although RS have gave up customers in the past.

Yah, that's an alternative, although as you've said, they've given up people in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Any news on the UPC case yet? Cant find any online. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Yah, torrents being downloaded in general. It doesn't matter what client you use, if you download an illegal music torrent from any torrent site you're at risk of getting caught.

No you need to be connected to the swarm and actually downloading the copyrighted material. A torrent file has no copyright and is not illegal to download.

This will never last. It will be interesting to see if they actually go ahead and ban someone. See that is when the actual law of the country kicks in. Access to the internet is a basic human right. This would be shot down in a court imo. It's the same old same with scare tactics and no real substance behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

20goto10 wrote: »
    Access to the internet is a basic human right.
    Nope, its not. Besides disconnecting someone's broadband line is not the same as banning someone from accessing the internet.

Nope, its not. Besides disconnecting someone's broadband line is not the same as banning someone from accessing the internet.

Eh, yes it is. you cannot ban someone from having internet access at home. Why? Because no such law exists.

we'll just have to see what happens when push comes to shove. I would gladly push my provider all the way to test their resolve. But then again, it'd be alot easier just to be smart about it and not get caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Eh, yes it is. you cannot ban someone from having internet access at home. Why? Because no such law exists.

we'll just have to see what happens when push comes to shove. I would gladly push my provider all the way to test their resolve. But then again, it'd be alot easier just to be smart about it and not get caught.

Where is the law stating that the internet is a basic human right?
    And they are not "banning" your internet connection. They are enforcing a term of the contract that YOU agreed to when you signed it. You will not download copyright infringed items. End of.

RangeR wrote: »
    Where is the law stating that the internet is a basic human right?

It hasn't come up as an issue in Ireland, but it will do should Eircom actually go ahead and ban someone. Have a google if you want to find info on other countries.

Besides that, it's impossible for them to prove it was you if you live in a house with more than one person or have wifi access.

RangeR wrote: »
    They are enforcing a term of the contract that YOU agreed to when you signed it. You will not download copyright infringed items. End of.

Yes and if I say I was not downloading copyrighted material, how exactly are they going to prove it? They need to get a warrant and confiscate your PC. If they can't prove it then they are actually in breach of contract for disconnecting you.

It hasn't come up as an issue in Ireland, but it will do should Eircom actually go ahead and ban someone. Have a google if you want to find info on other countries.
    Oh I see - it is magically a human right - is this just cos you say so?

Back to reality, Internet access is not a human right in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Yes and if I say I was not downloading copyrighted material, how exactly are they going to prove it? They need to get a warrant and confiscate your PC. If they can't prove it then they are actually in breach of contract for disconnecting you.
    Except they are not breaching contract for terminating your contract for illegally downloading copyrighted materials. They are terminating your contract because of illegally sharing copyrighted materials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Oh I see - it is magically a human right - is this just cos you say so?

Back to reality, Internet access is not a human right in Ireland.

It's not, and its very unlikely that it'll be brought up as an issue in the next 5 years or so. France, Estonia and two other EU countries have it instigated as human right, but god know what the EU stance on it is.

This should make interesting reading for people using vpn.http://torrentfreak.com/huge-security-flaw-makes-vpns-useless-for-bittorrent-100617/

I wonder will the smaller isp's around Ireland be forced to row in with eircom and vodafone.I read that upc are next to be hauled up to sign on with 3 Strikes rule.

Except they are not breaching contract for terminating your contract for illegally downloading copyrighted materials. They are terminating your contract because of illegally sharing copyrighted materials.

They can't prove it. Therefore the act didn't happen.

They can't prove it. Therefore the act didn't happen.
    ah but they can. If you upload from your connection and I download it then I can prove the contents of the file. It doesn't matter anyway since this is not a crimminal issue thus the same level of proof without doubt is not needed. Eircom can disconnect your connection for breach of contract. If you want to challenge that you will have to bring them to court but good luck with that.

zerks wrote: »
    I wonder will the smaller isp's around Ireland be forced to row in with eircom and vodafone.I read that upc are next to be hauled up to sign on with 3 Strikes rule.

Well the Digital economy act in the uk will only effect isps over a certain amount of subscribers, IRMA are going after the big dogs 1st, but in Ireland theres only a handfull.

UPC are actually going to fight it tho, Eircom with there massive debts and crappy business planning settled out of court.

UPC are a real ISP, im looking forward to how it pans out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Freedom of speech is a basic human right. Just because the Internet isn't mentioned specifically on documents pre-dating it, doesn't mean your rights don't apply online.
    Disconnecting someone's broadband line is a serious infringement on that person's rights and should not be done so lightly.
    If I were to ban you reading newspapers, books or magazines, making phone calls, etc. in your house, you could still go do that somewhere else. That doesn't make it acceptable.

ah but they can. If you upload from your connection and I download it then I can prove the contents of the file. It doesn't matter anyway since this is not a crimminal issue thus the same level of proof without doubt is not needed. Eircom can disconnect your connection for breach of contract. If you want to challenge that you will have to bring them to court but good luck with that.

As I've already said, the only way to prove it is to seize the offenders PC. I'm not taking anyone to court as I'm not downloading illegal material, but if I was I would have absolutely no issues in doing so. Luck would not be a factor, just the law.

• Advertisement

blubloblu wrote: »
    Freedom of speech is a basic human right. Just because the Internet isn't mentioned specifically on documents pre-dating it, doesn't mean your rights don't apply online.
    Nobody is blocking you from using the internet. They are terminating your contract with them for breach of contract. They are fully within their rights to do this. Read up on contract law.
    Disconnecting someone's broadband line is a serious infringement on that person's rights and should not be done so lightly.
    Nope its not.
    If I were to ban you reading newspapers, books or magazines, making phone calls, etc. in your house, you could still go do that somewhere else. That doesn't make it acceptable.
    You have no right to ban me from "reading newspapers, books or magazines, making phone calls". You have the right to choose to not sell me any of those items but you don't have the right to ban me from using them. This is a contractual issue - not a human rights issue.

Advertisement