Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to cut broadband over illegal downloads - READ POST#1 WARNING

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

And weren't they only targeting stuff like torrents and limewire, not direct downloads? Edit- beaten to it :) what was the senders name? Wouldn't they be sending letters instead of emails? Smells fishy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

wow at Dr Hurr

Hotfile is similar to rapidshare! Thought it was only p2p + Music they were after

Did Eircom ring you or just send out emails?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SergeyS

That means that they DO monitor direct downloads. Which is obviously breach of privacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Dr Hfuhruhurr

here is the rest of the email... to be honest Im still deciding if ill ring them or not !!

Website or protocol used: Hotfile.com

Copyright holder: American Music Artists

It is important that you know that eircom has not in any way monitored your internet connection or activity, nor have we shared any of your account or personal data with IRMA or anyone else as part of this communication. The notification has resulted from independent monitoring conducted on behalf of IRMA.

We understand that you may be concerned on receiving this letter from eircom. It may be that you do not know how this happened and that you yourself have not shared music files over the connection in breach of copyright. It could be that someone else who uses your computer and internet connection might be responsible, however you as the account holder need to make sure that music files are not shared or downloaded illegally on your account.

If you have concerns, or wish to avoid this happening again, please visit www.eircom.net/legalmusic for details of the steps you can take to ensure that your computer and internet connection are no longer used for such activity. There are alternative services available where you can enjoy music online legitimately, including www.eircom.net/music and http://www.itunes.com/.

If you have been unlawfully sharing music, even if unknowingly, then we would ask you to please stop. If we receive another notification from IRMA relating to your account, we will be required to take further action and you risk having your broadband service withdrawn.

We hope that this assists you in using your broadband service to enjoy music legitimately. We will call you to answer any questions you might have. However, if you would like to contact us in advance please LoCall 1890 253 059 or visit www.eircom.net/legalmusic.

Yours sincerely

Carlos Hernandez

Director of Customer Management and Operations

eircom Limited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Those stock letters are widely available online. Faking an e-mail wouldn't be too hard. A general telephone query to Eircom asking have they been in correspondence with you might be of use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

Can you post the headers of the email? I suspect it is fake as well.

Edit: And who are the "American Music Artists", meant to be that hold the copyright?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

In any case, they were TV shows that were downloaded, nothing to do with IRMA. Smells like a fake, looks like a fake, ....

Ah, total fake i'd say

Listen guys Its not a fake. I just rang tech support and they said I recieved two warnings ..I ****ing wish i was joking so ill put up what I recieved from the emails .

Illegal Downloads Cease and Desist Request 090-xxxxx
    Sent: 07 July 2010 19:34:41

Dear Mr.xxxxxx,

eircom has agreed to work with the Irish Recorded Music Association (IRMA) to combat illegal music sharing. We want to make you aware of this activity and assist you to use your broadband service to enjoy digital music legitimately.

Many music files are protected by copyright and while it may be acceptable for you to store them personally on your computer for personal use, it is unlawful to share those files without the copyright owner's permission. In the terms and conditions of your broadband service, you have agreed not to use your broadband service to create, host or transmit material, which infringes among other things the copyright of another person or organisation (see www.eircom.net/termsandconditions).

IRMA on behalf of its members has notified eircom of illegal peer to peer (P2P) file sharing using eircom internet protocol (IP) addresses. eircom records have identified one of those IP addresses as being linked to use from your eircom broadband account. Some of the details of the notification supplied by IRMA are set out below and can be viewed online at www.eircom.net/legalmusic.

Timestamp of report:22:46 03/07/2010

Track details: Files downloaded through third party website (Hotfile.com)

IP Address: xx.xxx.xx

Website or protocol used: Hotfile.com

Copyright holder: American Music Artists

It is important that you know that eircom has not in any way monitored your internet connection or activity, nor have we shared any of your account or personal data with IRMA or anyone else as part of this communication. The notification has resulted from independent monitoring conducted on behalf of IRMA.

We understand that you may be concerned on receiving this letter from eircom. It may be that you do not know how this happened and that you yourself have not shared music files over the connection in breach of copyright. It could be that someone else who uses your computer and internet connection might be responsible, however you as the account holder need to make sure that music files are not shared or downloaded illegally on your account.

If you have concerns, or wish to avoid this happening again, please visit www.eircom.net/legalmusic for details of the steps you can take to ensure that your computer and internet connection are no longer used for such activity. There are alternative services available where you can enjoy music online legitimately, including www.eircom.net/music and http://www.itunes.com/.

If you have been unlawfully sharing music, even if unknowingly, then we would ask you to please stop. If we receive another notification from IRMA relating to your account, we will be required to take further action and you risk having your broadband service withdrawn.

We hope that this assists you in using your broadband service to enjoy music legitimately. We will call you to answer any questions you might have. However, if you would like to contact us in advance please LoCall 1890 253 059 or visit www.eircom.net/legalmusic.

Yours sincerely

Carlos Hernandez

Director of Customer Management and Operations

eircom Limited

on the second email ..... it on said " second strike and a jpeg see attached .

Eircom Cease and Desist request #2‏
    Sent: 07 July 2010 22:46:45

This it in black and white I told the tech support bloke I wasnt filesharing music but he replied that I had been dling a lot of content lately and to check my browser history ,,,to which I told them to shove it .............Im not ****ing joking :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Eircom are a bunch of scumbags for doing this. I cant wait to switch to UPC.

• Advertisement

>_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

I got two warnings in the space of a couple of hours for downloading 2 Tv shows....check out the portion of the email they sent me .:mad:

eircom has agreed to work with the Irish Recorded Music Association (IRMA) to combat illegal music sharing. We want to make you aware of this activity and assist you to use your broadband service to enjoy digital music legitimately.

Many music files are protected by copyright and while it may be acceptable for you to store them personally on your computer for personal use, it is unlawful to share those files without the copyright owner's permission. In the terms and conditions of your broadband service, you have agreed not to use your broadband service to create, host or transmit material, which infringes among other things the copyright of another person or organisation (see www.eircom.net/termsandconditions).

IRMA on behalf of its members has notified eircom of illegal peer to peer (P2P) file sharing using eircom internet protocol (IP) addresses. eircom records have identified one of those IP addresses as being linked to use from your eircom broadband account. Some of the details of the notification supplied by IRMA are set out below and can be viewed online at www.eircom.net/legalmusic.

Timestamp of report:22:46 03/07/2010

Track details: Files downloaded through third party website (Hotfile.com)

**** there tracking files from filedownload services too? i.e hotfile i though it was only Peer to Peer stuff..**** sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

nuxxx wrote: »
    wow at Dr Hurr

Hotfile is similar to rapidshare! Thought it was only p2p + Music they were after

Did Eircom ring you or just send out emails?

thats what i thought too, if this is true then it really is time to switch ISP.

My fellow Irishman Ive been using FTP sites for over 2 years because I thought they were fool proof....So Im not pulling your leg here. this email is 100% real.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

its fake

eircom send letters in the post not emails, they dont have everyones email address's but do have all the billing address's
    also they have to allow you time between warnings to stop, not send warnings 3hrs apart

also irma have nothing to do with the tv or films that would be the mpaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

...and they certainly don't include stupid "gotcha" attachments.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

lol.....
    did not see that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just saw this online,it made interesting reading-not much hope of Ireland following suit especially in the provision of broadband for every citizen.

Suvi Linden, Finland’s communication minister, announced that Internet access is considered to be no longer for entertainment only, and the country’s government does not plan to introduce a “three-strikes”-style regime allowing to punish unauthorized file-sharers with cutting off the Internet.
    finland-wp-a-138x200.jpg

There have been a lot of discussions on the topic of whether Internet access should be a fundamental right or not. Finland seems to have come to a clear conclusion it should, appearing to be the first country in the world to accept Internet access as a civil right. Last week, all Internet service providers in Finland were demanded by the government to make sure that each person in the country has access to 1Mbps speed connection at the very least.

Finland’s communication minister admits that the government considered the role of the Internet in the everyday life of its citizens. They came to a conclusion that the Internet services are no longer used for entertainment only. Finland has a long story of developing a current information society; however, a few years ago they realized that not each citizen had had access.

This new legislation also ensures that file-sharers can’t be deprived of this fundamental right by being disconnected under a “three-strikes” regime that rights owners have been promoting all over the world. Suvi Linden adds that the government is going to adopt a policy where ISPs will send out warning letters to unauthorized file-sharers, but never disconnect people.

It partly reminds of France’s Constitutional Council striking down a previous version of this “three-strikes” legislation, because it has been unconstitutional. The government found Internet to be essential for the free communication, and thereby complete civic participation in a democratic society.

One should note that with this trend of countries making Internet access a civil right, the copyright holders’ anti-piracy efforts will automatically become much more complicated. Of course, critics of this trend keep saying that it is not a right, but rather a privilege, but some countries start thinking that the ability to express opinions and ideas and fully participate in a democratic society can hardly be called a “privilege”. It’s nice to see that some countries are making such decisive attempts to confirm it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Listen guys Its not a fake. I just rang tech support and they said I recieved two warnings ..I ****ing wish i was joking so ill put up what I recieved from the emails .

Illegal Downloads Cease and Desist Request 090-xxxxx
    Sent: 07 July 2010 19:34:41

Dear Mr.xxxxxx,

Does sound like a joke, but as suggested, post headers of the email so we can see where it originated.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

java wrote: »
    Does sound like a joke, but as suggested, post headers of the email so we can see where it originated.

It is fake, check his "Attachment" in the previous post

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

zerks wrote: »
    Just saw this online,it made interesting reading-not much hope of Ireland following suit especially in the provision of broadband for every citizen.

Suvi Linden, Finland’s communication minister, announced that Internet access is considered to be no longer for entertainment only, and the country’s government does not plan to introduce a “three-strikes”-style regime allowing to punish unauthorized file-sharers with cutting off the Internet.
    finland-wp-a-138x200.jpg

There have been a lot of discussions on the topic of whether Internet access should be a fundamental right or not. Finland seems to have come to a clear conclusion it should, appearing to be the first country in the world to accept Internet access as a civil right. Last week, all Internet service providers in Finland were demanded by the government to make sure that each person in the country has access to 1Mbps speed connection at the very least.

Finland’s communication minister admits that the government considered the role of the Internet in the everyday life of its citizens. They came to a conclusion that the Internet services are no longer used for entertainment only. Finland has a long story of developing a current information society; however, a few years ago they realized that not each citizen had had access.

This new legislation also ensures that file-sharers can’t be deprived of this fundamental right by being disconnected under a “three-strikes” regime that rights owners have been promoting all over the world. Suvi Linden adds that the government is going to adopt a policy where ISPs will send out warning letters to unauthorized file-sharers, but never disconnect people.

It partly reminds of France’s Constitutional Council striking down a previous version of this “three-strikes” legislation, because it has been unconstitutional. The government found Internet to be essential for the free communication, and thereby complete civic participation in a democratic society.

One should note that with this trend of countries making Internet access a civil right, the copyright holders’ anti-piracy efforts will automatically become much more complicated. Of course, critics of this trend keep saying that it is not a right, but rather a privilege, but some countries start thinking that the ability to express opinions and ideas and fully participate in a democratic society can hardly be called a “privilege”. It’s nice to see that some countries are making such decisive attempts to confirm it.

Finlands decision to make this a "human right" is over the top and completely necessary. In fact if you look at closely you'll note that it is not a Human Right but a Legal Right. Regardless, it doesn't have any bearing on what is happening in Ireland. There are lots of things that I have a 'legal right' to but doesn't mean I get them. Furthermore, your legal rights can be curtailed if you don't operate within the law. If you break the law you'll find that many of your basic rights no longer apply.

Nowhere was it mentioned that internet access was a human right.The Finnish government declared it was a fundamental right for people to have internet access regardless what they want to do with it.Fair enough it can be abused and illegal activity does take place,but if you got 3 strikes say for your driving would you expect your car to be taken from you? The 3 Strikes policy in UK is in line to be revoked as it was rushed in and voted for by people who didn't even bother to turn up for the debates.
    Eircom merely rolled over as soon as pressure was put on them to disconnect file sharers.Lets burn the books in case we read something we shouldn't,the internet is beyond borders and as much as big business and government want it can't be controlled.The vast majority of people whether you like it or not regard anything on the net as 'free' with little thought of how it got there.It's gone from buying dodgy cd's and dvd's from the 'guy with the gear bag' to the stage that more people have internet access and bypass the middleman by downloading content despite it being legal or illegal and little thought goes to the consequences.
    The 3 strikes will be irrelevant as users simply switch isp or use vpn as soon as they feel the pinch from eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

the internet is beyond borders.

Its is not however beyond the law. Whether you break the law in your town or online you can and will be penalized for it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Nowhere was it mentioned that internet access was a human right.The Finnish government declared it was a fundamental right for people to have internet access regardless what they want to do with it.Fair enough it can be abused and illegal activity does take place,but if you got 3 strikes say for your driving would you expect your car to be taken from you?

I think most road users would expect and indeed hope that your ''right" to drive the car would taken from you by appropriate legal action!

Funny how all this talk of "human rights" and "fundamental rights" does not appear to acknowledge that such rights bring obligations too and the most basic obligation is to obey the law.

Funny too how the rights of copyright owners or the rights of artists not to have their work shared by people who do not have any entitlements to do so are blithely ignored by posters quoting these so called enlightened "democracies".
    The vast majority of people whether you like it or not regard anything on the net as 'free' with little thought of how it got there.

So that makes everything ok?

Unfortunately regarding everything as free on the net is a mindset,I never said it makes it ok.Ireland has a tradition of "ah sure I didn't mean any harm" and "no fukcer gona tell me what to do" until that changes people will continue to flout the law especially online where there is no visible consequence.Just look at the drink driving law for an insight into the Irish mindset regarding the law,how many people wanted a different law for rural folk who had to drive to the pub for the few pints,they did it for years and no harm-I personally am against drink driving but just using it as an example of how people think if they feel they're not doing any harm.
    It's the fact that eircom have been ordered to get a quota of warning letters a week pisses me off,not the fact they are doing it,btw has anybody been disconnected yet?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

And what exactly has a quota of letters got to do with the issue?

What exactly is your point in all of this apart from a vague criticism of Irish Society and being pissed off at Eircom for apparently agreeing to a quota of letters?

No vague criticism of Irish society here,just a fact of life here.As for the quota of letters eircom have to issue,I thought the whole point of the thread is this topic "Eircom to disconnect alleged filesharers" so the point is relevant.They are assuming guilt without trial,it's amazingly easy to access anyones wireless connection and use it to download but the owner of the connection will be held resposible even if they are a 90 year old who knows nothing of filesharing.This point was proven by Talk Talk in the UK. A solution will have to be found-if a cd is 15 to 20 yo yo's in a shop and one click of a mouse away online,you can guess what most people will do.Maybe a fair price scheme is the solution.I personally know lots of people who regard the cinema as overpriced and regularly say they wouldn't pay to go see a certain movie but would download it.If I regard something as worth the money I have no problem paying for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

They are assuming guilt without trial,it's amazingly easy to access anyones wireless connection and use it to download but the owner of the connection will be held resposible even if they are a 90 year old who knows nothing of filesharing..

If you take a wireless bradband connection it is your contractual obligation to ensure it is safe and secure. The person who's name is on the contract is the person responsible for the downloads. Wifi is a convenience and as such your option to use it, like with most options there are pro's and cons. BB access without wires vs less secure connection possibilities.

if a cd is 15 to 20 yo yo's in a shop and one click of a mouse away online,you can guess what most people will do.

Yeah, a lot of people click.....and pay for the album. Just because an album is online doesnt mean its free? Lots of people click and download..... on itunes and the record companies dont have an issue with it. Like anywhere else you can take the album and risk being caught or you can pay for the album and stay legal.

I didn't elaborate on the point of securing wireless as it's taken as a given the owner is responsible but a huge part of the population aren't tech savvy and as long as they have access they don't even think of securing it.I have seen guys sitting in cars in the street using peoples unsecured wireless and one individual who constantly hacked their neighbours connection,eircom were even able to tell the owner who was doing it and as soon as security was changed it was hacked again,only the threat of physical violence and the law stopped it (the hacker moved house and became someone elses problem).
    i-tunes and spotify are great examples that downloading music doesn't have to be illegal,Amazon is my friend,call me old fashioned but I still like my stuff to be tactile,digital music is a bit 'cold'-prefer to have the cd/dvd.I like my video games and have ample opportunity to download as many games as I want but prefer to buy them despite the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

at the end of the day, whether what Eircom are doing is legal or not, they are doing it to deter ILLEGAL file sharing. no, two wrongs don't make a right but just sitting on here complaining about it isn't going to make the damndest bit of difference.

if you don't like it then vote with your feet and move to another ISP, simple as that. you can have the same service from another ISP (just without the letters) and probably save money at the same time.

Advertisement