Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to cut broadband over illegal downloads - READ POST#1 WARNING

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Le King wrote: »
    BTW guys when is UPC going to court over this?

It started in the middle of last month. Still ongoing AFAIK. By the time IRMA have paid Michael McDowell's legal fees (he's representing them), it'll be interesting to see if they're still around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It started in the middle of last month. Still ongoing AFAIK. By the time IRMA have paid Michael McDowell's legal fees (he's representing them), it'll be interesting to see if they're still around.

Who - IRMA or UPC? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

With all the pressure that IRMA/RIAA are putting on Eircom, we don't really hear alot about IFCO/MPAA and their efforts to protect their intellectual property. Nor do we hear about the gaming industry's efforts. That's not to say their efforts are non-existant but they just seem overshadowed.

In my opinion the RIAA is going about this all wrong. If they wanted to stop illeagal downloading they would try to subtly mould perceptions in popular culture in order to make illeagal downloading seem cheap, base, and taboo. They tried this, in a very clumsy way, with the "Knock off Nigel" adverts on television a couple of years ago but so cheesey were they that I thought they were a parody paid for by the Pirate Bay (I thought they were non-profit......).

If they really are as machievellian as some of the downloader camp say, maybe they could do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Molko

Back on topic, had anyone here actually been cut off? Or know anyone who has been cut off? Or even given a 'you're on strike one' notification?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

briany wrote: »
    With all the pressure that IRMA/RIAA are putting on Eircom, we don't really hear alot about IFCO/MPAA and their efforts to protect their intellectual property. Nor do we hear about the gaming industry's efforts. That's not to say their efforts are non-existant but they just seem overshadowed.

In my opinion the RIAA is going about this all wrong. If they wanted to stop illeagal downloading they would try to subtly mould perceptions in popular culture in order to make illeagal downloading seem cheap, base, and taboo. They tried this, in a very clumsy way, with the "Knock off Nigel" adverts on television a couple of years ago but so cheesey were they that I thought they were a parody paid for by the Pirate Bay (I thought they were non-profit......).

If they really are as machievellian as some of the downloader camp say, maybe they could do this.

The newspapers group - NLI - are pretty hefty in enforcing their copyright provisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Cabaal wrote: »
    Nice twisted logic, don't you think its up to the artists to fight that fight?
    By you downloading and paying nothing the artist gets nothing....now how does this help the artists?
    That was in response to your post in which you justified the record label's practice of screwing artists over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It seems that in the UK the ISP'S are now calling for the digital economy bill to be looked at again as it was rushed in before Labour left government with a huge amount of politicians not bothering to follow proper protocols when voting it in.
    Usually when England sneezes we get a cold so it'l be interesting to see if it has any impact over here or sets any precedents that may be followed in the future.It's a bit disconcerting as to how quick eircom were to comply with irma,it was done before anyone knew about it. Even so I haven't heard of anyone getting disconnected yet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

blubloblu wrote: »
    That was in response to your post in which you justified the record label's practice of screwing artists over.

And what screws artists more than taking their material for nothing?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

zerks wrote: »
    It seems that in the UK the ISP'S are now calling for the digital economy bill to be looked at again as it was rushed in before Labour left government with a huge amount of politicians not bothering to follow proper protocols when voting it in.
    Usually when England sneezes we get a cold so it'l be interesting to see if it has any impact over here or sets any precedents that may be followed in the future.It's a bit disconcerting as to how quick eircom were to comply with irma,it was done before anyone knew about it. Even so I haven't heard of anyone getting disconnected yet.

And why exactly should Eircom have spent loads of money fighting IRMA given that people who sign up with Eircom (and other isps) accept terms and conditions which prohibit downloading copyright material? So Eircom should have valiantly fought to preserve the right of customers to breach their own Terms and Conditions?:rolleyes:

Just wondering what the demographic of Eircom customers is? Are they mostly younger tech-savvie types or older people who don't know one end of a computer from the other. If it's the latter,how many of them exactly are involved in filesharing/illegal downloading?
    As for breaching eircoms terms+conditions,if we were all to follow them to the letter everyone would just be on facebook and couldn't even use youtube for fear of a violation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I started reading this back in May when the thread started. I can't believe 60+ pages later people are still debating the right / wrong of it.

The jig is up guys.

Suck it up and move on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

ArthurG wrote: »
    I started reading this back in May when the thread started. I can't believe 60+ pages later people are still debating the right / wrong of it.

The jig is up guys.

Suck it up and move on!

WERD

ArthurG wrote: »

The jig is up guys.

Suck it up and move on!

Why not shut down boards altogether and never debate anything again? If a topic warrants discussion lets discuss-no matter how long it takes. If you're not interested anymore stay away.

Just wondering what the demographic of Eircom customers is? Are they mostly younger tech-savvie types or older people who don't know one end of a computer from the other. If it's the latter,how many of them exactly are involved in filesharing/illegal downloading?
    As for breaching eircoms terms+conditions,if we were all to follow them to the letter everyone would just be on facebook and couldn't even use youtube for fear of a violation

It's the dilemma that Eircom are faced with. People downloading/streaming copyright infringing material are violating the T&Cs of Eircom's contract but if they are shut off, how will that affect Eircom's income? If Eircom figure that it's advantageous to allow their customers to break the terms because it gives them more business well then why wouldn't they let it happen until it no longer gives an advantage? What if UPC doesn't cave and we have two competing ISPs where Eircom offers slower speeds and less content and UPC is offering better speeds and doesn't deny content or threaten to disconnect you? Which one are people going to choose? If UPC is in your area well then you'll probably choose UPC (for the speed of course...). This is such a losing battle for the copyright holders and that's unfortunate for them. Why not put money into local ISPs helping them improve infrastructure, raising speeds and push towards ad supported music and video streaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

It's all ridiculous, RTE didn't close down 2FM in the 80's because people were taping songs from the radio.

load of crap - If artists are worth the money we'll go see them live.
    If movies are good we'll go to the cinema.
    If we want to copy something we will do that too!

Just a passenger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

This is such a losing battle for the copyright holders and that's unfortunate for them. Why not put money into local ISPs helping them improve infrastructure, raising speeds and push towards ad supported music and video streaming?
    great point
    everybody wins

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Orion101

Piracy is a natural response to excessive pricing on behalf of the big wigs, be they in the film, game, or music industry.

If you buy an over-priced product the greed merchants win, the artists survive, and the consumer loses.

If you pirate something you gain at the expense of the others.

In my simple view of things the answer is not bull headed legal proceedings, or making an example of people. Reduce the price of the product to a reasonable level and a majority of people who appreciate it will buy it. I bought Lord of the Rings a few years ago for 35 euro - which in hindsight was crazy. But a new release for 10 and an old film for 5 would be reasonable. There will always be that 10-20% who want something for nothing, but that's always going to be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Orion101 wrote: »
    Piracy is a natural response to excessive pricing on behalf of the big wigs, be they in the film, game, or music industry.

If you buy an over-priced product the greed merchants win, the artists survive, and the consumer loses.

If you pirate something you gain at the expense of the others.

In my simple view of things the answer is not bull headed legal proceedings, or making an example of people. Reduce the price of the product to a reasonable level and a majority of people who appreciate it will buy it. I bought Lord of the Rings a few years ago for 35 euro - which in hindsight was crazy. But a new release for 10 and an old film for 5 would be reasonable. There will always be that 10-20% who want something for nothing, but that's always going to be the case.

That makes no sense, what your saying is that if you or the general public see's a product as too expensive they are within their rights to rob it in order to force the prices down!!!!!?????? Are you serious!

Lets list things that are generally seen as "too expensive" by joe soap...

Porsche's
    Fabergé eggs
    Penthouses in downtown Dubai
    Photo shoots with Elizabeth Hurley!

These things would all cost an arm and a leg so in line with your thinking I am within my rights to "force" the cost down by taking what I want for a while!!! rofl. While I so so so utterly wish your logic was sound.... I simply cant agree , sadly. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

More great stuff from the Libs & Cons
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/20/farewell_sabip/

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Orion101

hightower1 wrote: »
    That makes no sense, what your saying is that if you or the general public see's a product as too expensive they are within their rights to rob it in order to force the prices down!!!!!?????? Are you serious!

Porsche's
    Fabergé eggs

These things would all cost an arm and a leg so in line with your thinking I am within my rights to "force" the cost down by taking what I want for a while!!! rofl. While I so so so utterly wish your logic was sound.... I simply cant agree , sadly. :(

I'm not sure how you understood that from my post. I suggested a causal relation between over-priced products and piracy. The terms right or wrong weren't mentioned, nor did I say that people are within their rights to steal what they don't feel like paying for. You introduced these concepts.

What I did say is that people are more likely to steal what they cannot afford or what they see as providing poor value for money, and that a possible solution for this is to change the the consumer's perception/ability to buy a product by lowering the price.

Make sure to dust yourself off when your done rofling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Why not put money into local ISPs helping them improve infrastructure, raising speeds and push towards ad supported music and video streaming?
    That would be the logical thing to do but sadly these media conglomerates don't collaborate with anyone, they sue.

This so-called "War on Piracy" is just the byproduct of them being pissed off because their profits aren't what they used to be, and are steadily declining over the last 5/6 years or so. They really should be asking themselves the question why and not trying to force the hand of everyone else to bend their way in some silly hope that they'll automatically generate huge profits once more.

Porsche's
    Fabergé eggs

That's silly, those items are physical actual things. Music is sound. You can't download a porche.

Just a passenger

z0oT wrote: »
    That would be the logical thing to do but sadly these media conglomerates don't collaborate with anyone, they sue.

This so-called "War on Piracy" is just the byproduct of them being pissed off because their profits aren't what they used to be, and are steadily declining over the last 5/6 years or so. They really should be asking themselves the question why and not trying to force the hand of everyone else to bend their way in some silly hope that they'll automatically generate huge profits once more.

Yes and I suppose it's their right to sue but how can they look sympathetic in the eyes of the wider public when persuing much publicized legal action against the grandmothers, single mothers, kids and college students? Not only that but looking for extraordinary sums of money from them. It just makes them seem evil and out of touch with reality even though yes they have been wronged (allegedly) but why not make the punishment fit the crime? Force the downloader do a week's worth of unpaid work at the label's offices or something. Now that's just a tongue in cheek example but something towards that end if that's the route they want to continue following. If and when they win this war on piracy with the sue everyone route it's not like everyone's going to love the RIAA/IRMA/MPAA again, not that we did before because we didn't really know who they were but we'll have a negative view of them now that's for sure.

The War on Piracy, in my opinion, is only part of a greater struggle for net neutrality anyway. Yes access to the internet is controlled by large telecommunications companies but they know that our continued satisfaction with their services rests on us being allowed to do what we want, when we want to do it. Now if people start saying, in enough numbers "I don't care about the internet, just give me Facebook,YouTube and streaming music" then we could have a big problem. What if we start seeing satellite TV style internet packages offering access to sixty large websites only? My opinion on media conglomerates putting money into ISPs to build infrastructure for fast streaming was only what they should do to claw back an advantage but it's not what I wish to see happen as it's the very kind of move that could truly end net neutrality and usher in the era of TV style internet with of course all the large discussion forums being bought up or squeezed out..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I'm not sure how you understood that from my post.

Ehhhhh....
    Piracy is a natural response to excessive pricing on behalf of the big wigs

Thats very clear tbh that your opinion is that copyright infringement is a normal response to perceived high prices of a commodity.

Mikefitzs wrote: »
    That's silly, those items are physical actual things. Music is sound. You can't download a porche.

Are you joking? Honestly, are you? I cant tell. :confused:

If not your reasoning is absurd, simply because something has no physical substance does not mean that ownership cannot apply to it.
    please see the term intellectual property. Its a fairly well known term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property

Here's an article to demonstrate how caring and in touch the music industry and copyright holders can be-it warms the heart:(
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1296248/U-S-publisher-hits-schoolgirl-10-1-300-using-Chaplin-song-charity-video.html

Are you joking? Honestly, are you? I cant tell. :confused:

If not your reasoning is absurd, simply because something has no physical substance does not mean that ownership cannot apply to it.
    please see the term intellectual property. Its a fairly well known term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property[/QUOTE]

No I'm not joking. Should the people who live outside Croke park be moved away from their homes when concerts are on so that they won't be able to hear the music or should they be charged to sit outside their homes? Same at other venues.
    I went to Madonna in Slane some years back with the Missus and we had no tickets, got to hear it all and had a great time from the road overlooking the concert. The copyright thing is a load of legal bull to enable corporations and lawyers to gain as much as possible on someone elses back, the artist.

Music was around a long time before copyright and it was shared amongst people at great delight of everyone - composer, singer and audience.

If I play my stereo loud and the neighbours hear it, am I sharing the misic illegally.

What is "personal use" Can I play music I purchased and invite my friends to listen to it? CanI take it outside my home?

Should we get permission from the Minister for the Enviornment if we want to record a bird singing?

As I said before music is sound it is not a physical piece. Its not stealing if someone is sharing.

Just a passenger

Porsche's
    Fabergé eggs

People build "Kit Cars" all the time, you don't need permission from the original manufacturer to copy their design unless you are doing it for financial gain.

If I buy an apple and keep the seeds then am I not allowed to sow the seeds to grow a tree to eat the apples? In the legal and copyright world the 1st apple grower (GOD) has copyright over the tree.

Just a passenger

Have they discussed this whole thing on Liveline yet I wonder? Somebody ringing up Liveline to complain about being cut off unfairly (as they see it) and then the whole debate just kicks off.

Pink Floyds manager made some interesting comments regarding copyright-
    Within the last decade there’s been no shortage of opinions regarding illegal music downloads. The points of view were voiced by everyone – from ordinary citizens to record labels and mainstream artists, because everyone in our digital environment is now affected by the issue. The mix now includes the manager of Pink Floyd.
    MusicPirate-300x225.jpg

Peter Jenner, Pink Floyd Band Manager expressed some interesting comments at a Westminster eForum on the issue of music in today’s digital world.

His first idea is that the online world pushes the marginal cost of a digital music file to an essential zero, and that is simply an inescapable reality. The reason for this is the copyright law or a process of copying the law, i.e. trying to apply the law aimed at physical piracy to the digital one. Peter Jenner compare it to trying to develop airline legislation on the basis of rail network.

He is 100% right. Today, thanks to Cyberlockers, P2P and social networks, the cost of distributing a sample or a whole work is monetarily zero. It can’t be compared to shipping CDs from the other side of the country, as it used to be. Moreover, many other costs connected to music creation or distribution came to zero too, like the software to make music, including cracks to it and the database of the samples. In fact, the only cost of creating anything today comes down to one-time investment of purchasing a PC and an Internet connection.

Today things are different all the way. Without PCs and the Internet, current copyright legislation would make a bit more sense. It would affect the bootleggers around the corner, making them pay huge fines as they did it for a profit. But now people are able to get whatever content they want for free. However, if they like it, it happens that they purchase it legally afterwards. No legislation requiring to pay $2,250 for content that is sold for a dollar makes sense nowadays, and it’s the answer to the question why there’s so much controversy about such laws. The youth knows the only way to check out new music –downloading it off the web to taste. That’s because they just don’t know how it was before the Internet took off.

The only way to build sound relations between consumers and artists today is to develop appropriate legislation rather than applying the laws fitting for an old environment. Trying to stop people from copying is not a solution, but only a waste of time, money and resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Here's an article to demonstrate how caring and in touch the music industry and copyright holders can be-it warms the heart:(
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1296248/U-S-publisher-hits-schoolgirl-10-1-300-using-Chaplin-song-charity-video.html

that is such Bull***t god damn there are some dirty money grabbing asshats out there

Advertisement