Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to cut broadband over illegal downloads - READ POST#1 WARNING

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

HMV have launched an online digital music download service with tracks less than half the price of iTunes,maybe with value like that legal downloads will become a bit more popular. Heres the link. http://www.hmvdigital.com/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

zerks wrote: »
    HMV have launched an online digital music download service with tracks less than half the price of iTunes,maybe with value like that legal downloads will become a bit more popular. Heres the link. http://www.hmvdigital.com/

According to the site it doesn't work outside of the UK

It's just launched so we may wait and see.Typical,it'l be out of date by the time we get it-just like broadband.:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

It's just launched so we may wait and see.Typical,it'l be out of date by the time we get it-just like broadband.:(

I thought that was out a while? I thought I remembered seeing some kind of HMV dowload site before. It's just 7digital anyway

That was shortlived,seems like they're gona treat this one seriously.Might keep the morally pure happy for a while if it allows access from Ireland:D
    Back on topic,has anyone got the dreaded 3rd strike yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's tough to know what's going on with the letters from Eircom here on boards because they are limited to fifty letters a month. So someone would have to be unlucky enough to have been caught 3 times in a row and be on boards. It's possible just not that likely.

Got to love the way that Eircom are dragging their heels on the whole issue. It's like IRMA's trying to drag Eircom to it's weekly bath and Eircom is not actively resisting but just going completely limp. Basically doing as little as they can get away with while looking like complying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Just goes to show how much we were being ripped off back in 2000-2004, and before. 20 Pounds+ for a CD before the Euro arrived wouldn't have been out of order :mad: I remember back in 2001 I bough Illmatic and The Blueprint 1 at the same time (had bobs), they cost £44 irish for the two of them.

What annoys me aswell is that these digital music sites only sell up to 320kps from what I can see. How come not 1411 kps, ie CD quality. Do you have to cough up more for CD quality tracks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

:eek: is broadband out of date:confused:how do you access the internet these days?:P

:eek: is broadband out of date:confused:how do you access the internet these days?:P
    With tinfoil and a whisk attached to the computer:D It might actually be better than some of the offerings we get in this country.Maybe eircom are using their network to email infringers and it's so useless the letters are simply not arriving:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Mikefitzs wrote: »
    People build "Kit Cars" all the time, you don't need permission from the original manufacturer to copy their design unless you are doing it for financial gain.

If I buy an apple and keep the seeds then am I not allowed to sow the seeds to grow a tree to eat the apples? In the legal and copyright world the 1st apple grower (GOD) has copyright over the tree.

yes if someone today just discovered/invented apples he would certainly try to own the rights to apples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Kriebie

Actually that is exactly what is happening with genetically modified crops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Kriebie wrote: »
    Actually that is exactly what is happening with genetically modified crops.

Correct, with all GM and other non-GM but commercially developed crop seed, the farmer is not allowed to "save seed" for the following years crop as they would have traditionally done. They have to buy it from the producer each and every year The seed is effectively "copyright" and the farmer is effectively paying for the use of it each year. The same applied to a music track that you pay for as a dowload. You never actually own it - you just have the use of it as per their terms and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 zoom41

I'm sorry if someone else has posted this but i haven't the time to trawl 63 pages...surely this is an infringment of my human rights i mean if i caught my postman going through my mail i could sue him...after a little reserch i found this

DEFAMATION LAW
    IN IRELAND

Defamation is one of the most serious dangers facing journalists and publishers today. Eighty per cent of all defamation actions are brought against the media - and a libel action can bankrupt a small newspaper or radio station.
    Balance of rights
    Journalists may feel that they should have the right to say whatever they like. After all, Article 40.6.1.i of the Irish Constitution says that the State guarantees the right of citizens to express freely their convictions and opinions. But the right of freedom of expression in Ireland is not absolute.

The Article goes on to say that, because of the importance of educating public opinion, the State will try to ensure that the organs of public opinion such as the radio and the press (it doesn't mention television) keep their right to liberty of expression, but they shall not be used to undermine public order, morality or the authority of the State.

The right of freedom of speech is also guaranteed by Article 10 (1) of the European Human Rights Convention, which provides that: "Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas, without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers."

If i'm wrong i apoligise in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 adam111111

from a business point of view , if eircom will go ahead & start "punishin" it's consumers , will that not b a reason 4 them 2 find another internet provider , will eircom really drive customers away ???

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

well, looking to other countries, the AV industry would like for all ISPs in a country to adopt its policies, meaning there is no alternative, but thankfully they have to start in one place and thankfully they chose eircom, probably because its the biggest and semi-state.
    Thankfully eircom are dragging their heals at every opportunity because they're the biggest and semi-state...

on the downside, as eircom puts up each legal "pin" to fight it, they keep slowly getting bowled down, which means when it comes to the other companies, they will have no way left to resist....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

wolf99 wrote: »
    well, looking to other countries, the AV industry would like for all ISPs in a country to adopt its policies, meaning there is no alternative, but thankfully they have to start in one place and thankfully they chose eircom, probably because its the biggest and semi-state.
    Thankfully eircom are dragging their heals at every opportunity because they're the biggest and semi-state...

on the downside, as eircom puts up each legal "pin" to fight it, they keep slowly getting bowled down, which means when it comes to the other companies, they will have no way left to resist....

Eircom have not been semi-state for a long time now.

zoom41 wrote: »
    I'm sorry if someone else has posted this but i haven't the time to trawl 63 pages...surely this is an infringment of my human rights i mean if i caught my postman going through my mail i could sue him...after a little reserch i found this

DEFAMATION LAW
    IN IRELAND

Defamation is one of the most serious dangers facing journalists and publishers today. Eighty per cent of all defamation actions are brought against the media - and a libel action can bankrupt a small newspaper or radio station.
    Balance of rights
    Journalists may feel that they should have the right to say whatever they like. After all, Article 40.6.1.i of the Irish Constitution says that the State guarantees the right of citizens to express freely their convictions and opinions. But the right of freedom of expression in Ireland is not absolute.

The Article goes on to say that, because of the importance of educating public opinion, the State will try to ensure that the organs of public opinion such as the radio and the press (it doesn't mention television) keep their right to liberty of expression, but they shall not be used to undermine public order, morality or the authority of the State.

The right of freedom of speech is also guaranteed by Article 10 (1) of the European Human Rights Convention, which provides that: "Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas, without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers."

Perhaps you could tell us which "human right" entitles people to download copyrighted material? And what exactly has freedom of speech or even defamation got to do with downloading copyrighted material?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What has defamation got to do with an ISP terminating a customer's service? If you're not going to read 63 pages of thread, you could at least read the 1st post, in which the current situation is outlined.

You couldn't be much more wrong.

I haven't heard of anyone I know getting a letter from Eircom yet.
    Just wondering is it?

1.Eircom not bothering to meet the targets wanted by IRMA

2.People changing isp.

3.People being more canny while downloading

4.People deciding to go legit and have stopped illegal downloads.

Can't see number 4 being the main one,once folk get into a habit of getting stuff for 'free' it's hard to break that habit.I wonder what percentage of customers are Eircom afraid they'd lose to other isp's over this and maybe that's why the blanket enforcement isn't whats happening and only a small percentage of infringers are getting targeted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

<SNIP>

You are wrong so your apology is accepted,
    You have no human right to download copyright material :)

• Advertisement

Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas, without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers."

IT CLEARLY STATES THE RIGHT TO RECEIVE AND IMPART INFORMATION OR CAN YOU ALL READ?

Oh and btw i do not condone illegal downloading i just don't like the way eircom has gone about this they are invading peoples privacy and trying to rule with an iron fist...can't wait to see the first person to be brought to court over this and i'm sure whoever that maybe will win thier case and i hope they go ahead and take a civil case against them i know i would.

jor el wrote: »
    What has defamation got to do with an ISP terminating a customer's service? If you're not going to read 63 pages of thread, you could at least read the 1st post, in which the current situation is outlined.

You couldn't be much more wrong.

I have read the first post and it is incorrect file names are recorded i have a letter here from eircom to prove this and btw was not me it was my son he download an Ian Brown album it states torrent,time it was downloaded and artist name.

Needless to say i could'nt have this happing again and have since changed ISP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

and btw was not me it was my son

fugitive_head.jpg

"I dont care"

I have read the first post and it is incorrect file names are recorded i have a letter here from eircom to prove this and btw was not me it was my son he download an Ian Brown album it states torrent,time it was downloaded and artist name.

Needless to say i could'nt have this happing again and have since changed ISP.

"Needless to say I couldn't have this happening again as it is a breach of the terms and conditions which I freely accepted when I signed up to Eircom so I told my son to respect Ian Brown's rights and the rights of all copyright holders and to stop downloading copyright material":rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

IT CLEARLY STATES THE RIGHT TO RECEIVE AND IMPART INFORMATION OR CAN YOU ALL READ?

And this somehow means you can freely download music without the owner's permission, how exactly? The right to receive and impart information has absolutely nothing to do with downloading copyrighted material. If you think it does, then you are very deluded.
    they are invading peoples privacy and trying to rule with an iron fist...

Wrong again, there is no invasion of privacy. Read the 1st post and try to understand it this time.
    can't wait to see the first person to be brought to court over this and i'm sure whoever that maybe will win thier case and i hope they go ahead and take a civil case against them i know i would.

No one is going to court over this, though I'd like to see someone try and argue in a court of law that they had the right to download copyrighted music, or that eircom had somehow broken any law by cutting off a customer for continued downloading of copyright material.
    I have read the first post and it is incorrect file names are recorded i have a letter here from eircom to prove this

Then read it again. Where does it say that the file names will not be recorded anyway?
    and btw was not me it was my son he download an Ian Brown album it states torrent,time it was downloaded and artist name.

Doesn't matter who downloaded it as the account holder is always legally responsible. All of the information would have been provided to eircom by a third party, together with the IP address that was sharing the music. eircom then link that IP to you, and contact you on behalf of the music industry. No laws are broken, no privacy invaded, absolutely nothing to with defamation, and nothing you can do when you have accepted that it was someone in your household that downloaded the music illegally.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas, without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers."

sigh,
    I'm not even going to bother typing a response that even tries to address the massive error's in your post..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭seawolf145

DEFAMATION LAW
    IN IRELAND

Balance of rights

A pity it doesnt count on boards.ie.
    You dont have any rights to express your opinion here,only the mods decides that for you.
    Maybe they will think for you too if you are lucky.Think they do that in North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kriebie

Please emigrate to North Korea then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭seawolf145

Kriebie wrote: »
    Please emigrate to North Korea then.

I cant dont know anyone there do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

dub45 wrote: »
    Eircom have not been semi-state for a long time now.

ah my bad.
    TBH I wasn't quite sure if it was still the case so based that attribute on someone in the industry recently telling me that Eircom are they only company allowed to build land line infrastructure which doesn't sound like a totally privatized market to me...

maybe its something similar to the ESB/ESB Networks dealy...

Advertisement