Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to cut broadband over illegal downloads - READ POST#1 WARNING

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

i seriously hope this blows up in eircoms face..

Last ISP to do anything decent, 1st ISP worldwide to agree to the 3 stikes.

Typical rubbish from eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

if u have eircom shares time to sell them before they become even more worthless than they already are.

im glad i ditched eircom for upc :)

btw if eircom begins losing customers on a big scale over this agreement with irma it will be in serious trouble financially........ other isp's reading this take note..... if ye make the same agreement ye too will lose customers.... dont sign your own death sentence -- screw irma

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

So at the end of the day all this really boils down to is ;

They're trying to throw people off seeding torrents, and sharing on stuff like Limewire.

Not really going to do anything then really. Especially against the likes of Limewire sharing, connect to a VPN and then share away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

So at the end of the day all this really boils down to is ;

They're trying to throw people off seeding torrents, and sharing on stuff like Limewire.

Not really going to do anything then really. Especially against the likes of Limewire sharing, connect to a VPN and then share away.

Why should one be forced to use / pay for / put up with the slower speed of a VPN - simply to compensate for and protect one from poor laws/regulations in a country that is obviously incapable of managing its infrastructure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Does "sharers, not simply downloading" not imply both people uploading and downloading?

How can Eircom tell the difference between me downloading a copyrighted track from rapidshare/mediafire etc, and me downloading my friends track, which obviously isn't copyrighted, from the same site? There are lots of legal things on sites like rapidshare, which I download a lot, am I going to get a phonecall saying I'm breaking the law?

If it's only for Torrents, then I welcome it tbh. People downloading full films and discographies from torrents is a joke, and it's cripping the music industry. Simple file sharing sites like mediafire are much less harmful IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

How will this effect Rapidshare, Hotfile, Depositfiles and Megaupload?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Stinicker wrote: »

This thread doesn't exist for you to find out whats safe or whats not, if your downloading copyright material its against your ISP's Terms Of Use....regardless of what ISP you are subscribed to.,

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭einshteen

It won't, IRMA pay DTecNet (http://www.dtecnet.com/) who monitor file sharing networks for uploaders within that IP range. Anyways, rule number 1 of file-sharing club...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jor el wrote: »
    And they'll probably be quite happy to lose those customers too, since illegal downloaders tend to be the biggest bandwidth hogs (cause most expense to the ISP).

Agreed, its actually no loss for an ISP to loose a customer base (say 5%) that usage the majority of the networks bandwidth (say 80%). Saves the ISP a small fortune in backhaul costs

Lets not forget the added benefit of reducing slow speed complaints/issues for other users on the ISP's network.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭einshteen

Cabaal wrote: »
    Agreed, its actually no loss for an ISP to loose a customer base (say 5%) that usage the majority of the networks bandwidth (say 80%). Saves the ISP a small fortune in backhaul costs

Lets not forget the added benefit of reducing slow speed complaints/issues for other users on the ISP's network.,

When you factor in landline usage and line rental that's questionable... if it was a big problem for eircom they'd actually enforce their bandwidth limit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

This mean we all have to break out our old dc++ hubs n ****?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

This thread doesn't exist for you to find out whats safe or whats not, if your downloading copyright material its against your ISP's Terms Of Use....regardless of what ISP you are subscribed to.,

Easy there fella, I happen to often use Torrents to distribute distributions of Linux and the last thing I'd want is for to blocked from distributing open source software. I also sometimes host distros on the aforementioned hosting sites.

einshteen wrote: »
    When you factor in landline usage and line rental that's questionable

Oh ok...unless your going with cable, "mobile Broadband", LLU or anything else that doesn't run over a standard PSTN line eircom still get a large cut of the cake...not so questionable.

Your still talking about a heavy usage user base which is a small percentage when compared to the average and actually costs the company more money per month then the customer pays in fee's to the ISP.

No very questionable, its all good for an ISP if you get rid of such a user.
    ... if it was a big problem for eircom they'd actually enforce their bandwidth limit.

eerrr..you know that eircom's "NGN" means they now enforce their caps...right? (if your on the NGN...which will only increase as the keep rolling it out)

Easy there fella, I happen to often use Torrents to distribute distributions of Linux and the last thing I'd want is for to blocked from distributing open source software. I also sometimes host distros on the aforementioned hosting sites.

Well then if its free software you need not worry,
    Clearly if your not sharing out copyright material you can continue do as is without the need to ask questions about what,where, who is affected

Well then if its free software you need not worry,
    Clearly if your not sharing out copyright material you can continue do as is without the need to ask questions about what,where, who is affected

But how can the 3rd party tell the difference between something with an obscure name downloaded from a torrent that's legal, and something with an obscure name downloaded from a torrent that's illegal?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

my friends track, which obviously isn't copyrighted, from the same site? There are lots of legal things on sites like rapidshare, which I download a lot, am I going to get a phonecall saying I'm breaking the law?

all creative works, unless explicitedly specified are copyright of the author... saying 'obviously isn't copyrighted' isn't quite right

all creative works, unless explicitedly specified are copyright of the author... saying 'obviously isn't copyrighted' isn't quite right

Ok fair enough, but lets say tracks that are available for free download by the author (like the many on soundcloud), which end up on mediafire etc. Will eicom have a problem with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Ok fair enough, but lets say tracks that are available for free download by the author (like the many on soundcloud), which end up on mediafire etc. Will eicom have a problem with them?
    No because eircom will not be monitoring people's downloads. A third party company will be passing on ip addresses of eircom customers who they found sharing copyrighted music (not all copyrighted music - just music by the artists irma or otherwise represent). Its clear as day in the article that was linked to.

axer wrote: »
    No because eircom will not be monitoring people's downloads. A third party company will be passing on ip addresses of eircom customers who they found sharing copyrighted music (not all copyrighted music - just music by the artists irma or otherwise represent). Its clear as day in the article that was linked to.

Ok, to be pedantic, how will the third party company be able to tell the difference between copyrighted (by the IMRA etc) and non-copyrighted downloads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Ok, to be pedantic, how will the third party company be able to tell the difference between copyrighted (by the IMRA etc) and non-copyrighted downloads?
    They will download from you. If I was caught I would take a case against them as I don't think they can prove anything for sure with regards torrents but can with direct peer to peer networks as they can download the entire track from you. Anyway its not about downloads it about uploads/sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

you know what folks i dont know if its been mentioned but..we're the first "country in the world" that this kinda crap has been done to?

Were a small ****ty country, where ****ing hell youd never expect this kinda crap to happen?....lol ok but I mean what about the uk, swedan and other countries with a greater population of 4 million?

I think this country is being used as a guinea pig for some kinds experiment, where they can say well if it worked in "ireland" then it must work in"xyz".

Why should we the guinea pigs for theses people?

EDIT:
    god dam the adverts for UPC are tempting....

Scram wrote: »
    you know what folks i dont know if its been mentioned but..we're the first "country in the world" that this kinda crap has been done to?

Were a small ****ty country, where ****ing hell youd never expect this kinda crap to happen?....lol ok but I mean what about the uk, swedan and other countries with a greater population of 4 million?

I think this country is being used as a guinea pig for some kinds experiment, where they can say well if it worked in "ireland" then it must work in"xyz".

Why should we the guinea pigs for theses people?

EDIT:
    god dam the adverts for UPC are tempting....

Why should they be the guinea pigs for us? Someone had to do it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Any move away from criminality is a good move. :)
    The net is a basic human right..... freedom from oppression is one too.....

Nether give anyone the right to break the rule of law.

The law is backing up the right of artists to have their representative body investigate people hurting their lively hood. I dont see any difference between this and the IRFU having private security outside grounds looking for ticket touts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭antocann

in statments by eircom they only say about music and the sharers
    so what about other files non music related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

well it looks like upc will be delighted with this as all uploaders will leave eircon if their contract is up and move to upc. just because someone uses torrents and uploads stuff doesn't mean it is illigal. alot of people use torrent programs to upload compleatly legit stuff as well so how will this fare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

They dont. The title of the file is what they go after. Oh and also it doesnt matter if the torrent is incomplete, at 1% or seeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

Are torrents over vpn secure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I wonder how this will pan out 6 months down the line, pardon the pun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

zenno wrote: »
    alot of people use torrent programs to upload compleatly legit stuff as well so how will this fare.

a lot more use them to share copyrighted material.

Advertisement