Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Think my springer bitch was covered by a dog down the road!

Options
  • 24-05-2010 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi all,

I awoke this morning to find my springer, aged 4, had got out of her run and a neighbouring dog was mounting her...Not sure how long he was there as my other dog alerted me to it.....could not have been long...My question is, how long does a bitch have to be covered by the male?...didn`t even think she was in heat, no blood or anything, but seh normaly would never stand for a dog:(...

What are my options for her if he is covered??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

You can take her to the vet and get an injection to stop her getting pregnant, like the morning after pill for dogs! I think it's best given within 72 hours, but the sooner the better, so I'd take her in this morning if you can. It'd be better to not risk her being pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

A bitch can have a silent season. That means no blood but still has a full season. I have a bitch that has done this 3 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Polythene Pam

Get to your vet straight away, he can spay her and if she's pregnant she's sorted anyway.
    Sorry but you should have spayed her before this happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Get to your vet straight away, he can spay her and if she's pregnant she's sorted anyway.
    Sorry but you should have spayed her before this happened.

If you want to spay her then they vet can spay her now, but some vets won't spay them when they're in heat.
    If you don't want to breed from her then it's really best to spay her.

But you can just get the injection to stop her getting pregnant this time, if you don't want to spay her, or the vet won't do it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rubs

Thanks all...got it sorted:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement