Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor & roaming with Android phone ?

• 24-05-2010 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

I am new to all this. Have a Legend with Meteor.
    Heading on holidays this week.
    What is the story with roaming on these. I dont plan on making/recieving too many calls but what is the story with Aps running in the background while you are away.
    Can you get screwed unknowingly ? I have the task-killer ap but no matter how many times i kill stuff things seem to be running again in a couple of hours.
    Do all of these aps use the mobile internet to run ?
    Also is there a widget to turn mobile internet off ?
    I have one for the wireless and bluetooth a little on/off switch kind of thing ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Switch off your data roaming. Not sure how to do it on a Legend.

I have a Hero, and was away there in February, and switched on the data a few times, for Google Maps, (I got lost :pac:) and it cost me a fortune. Data roaming isn't the cheapest.

Also, make sure you contact Meteor to tell them you will be roaming, they may still have it disabled, they generally require a €60 deposit, or 2 months bills paid before they will enable the roaming. Security measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just turn off 3G and you shouldn't use any data at all unless its wi-fi of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Turn it off I think it should be off by default anyway.

1MB will cost you €10.24 while roaming average web page to load up is well over 1MB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Buy a Vodafone sim and use the VF Live apn for 99c a day up to 50 mb if you want to be using the net.
    Otherwise disable 3G, on my desire you hold down the power button and select it there or use a widget which was on the phone already.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sanitarium

neonman wrote: »
    Turn it off I think it should be off by default anyway.

1MB will cost you €10.24 while roaming average web page to load up is well over 1MB.

Average page size is nowhere near 1MB unless it was built by a 10 year old using MS Frontpage using 100's of animated gif's.

This page itself is 16.93 KB..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Sanitarium wrote: »
    Average page size is nowhere near 1MB unless it was built by a 10 year old using MS Frontpage using 100's of animated gif's.

This page itself is 16.93 KB..

I'd have to disagree! Most pages would be over 1mb un my experience.

This page would only be that size if you are viewing the mobile version but load up the full version which wouldn't even be too glam and check the size of that.
    Ads bulk up most pages these days and if they're not saved in a cache they'll cost a fair bit when roaming.

Advertisement