Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A4 2.0TDI vs 1.9TDI

• 24-05-2010 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

I'm planning on changing my 2004 Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE for a late 2008 or early 2009 2.0TDI SE. I recently got my car serviced and mentioned to my mechanic that I was planning on changing in June in case he knew of anybody who might be interested in my car. When I told him what I was looking to buy he told me to stay clear of the 2.0 as it was a totally different engine to the 1.9 and could potentially give bother.
    My problem is that they don't make that model of A4 in 1.9 so its a 2 litre or stick with what i've got!

Has anyone got any experience in edealing with the new 2 litre engine?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

It is a different engine, smoother and more powerful, but apparently not quite as economic. Believe the emissions are better though. It also sounds a bit better (though that isnt hard given what the 1.9 sounds like).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

djdeclan wrote: »
    I'm planning on changing my 2004 Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE for a late 2008 or early 2009 2.0TDI SE. I recently got my car serviced and mentioned to my mechanic that I was planning on changing in June in case he knew of anybody who might be interested in my car. When I told him what I was looking to buy he told me to stay clear of the 2.0 as it was a totally different engine to the 1.9 and could potentially give bother.
    My problem is that they don't make that model of A4 in 1.9 so its a 2 litre or stick with what i've got!

Has anyone got any experience in edealing with the new 2 litre engine?

We put 6 out to one customer in early 2008. They are now coming (or have come back) from 2 year leases with between 70,000 and 110,000km on the clock, and I don't remember one having any engine issues. One did get returned to Audi, but that was because there was a suspension problem and the car was leaning to the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

The first 2.0TDi's were still PD engines, but all are 16v. THe early ones had an unusual appetite for oil, but have a far better power delivery than the narrow band of the 1.9 8v. They were also a little quieter.
    The newer ones are Common Rail, and came in in 2008 sometime. They are much quieter than the PD ones. Lower emmissions too. The torque curve would be different than the older 2 litre, so while both are 140bhp they do feel a little different to drive. I haven't heard of any problems with the Common Rail one, although it does like a little oil from time to time too!
    I say go for a well minded one. No point in holding on to an older generation car because you're afraid of the unreliability of newer models. All new diesels are more complex, higher power, lower emmissions and less reliable than their earlier counterparts, but if you're afraid of that then you're as well off go back to an old 1.6 non-turbo Jetta diesel from the early 90's. They won't let ya down! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    The first 2.0TDi's were still PD engines, but all are 16v. THe early ones had an unusual appetite for oil, but have a far better power delivery than the narrow band of the 1.9 8v. They were also a little quieter.
    The newer ones are Common Rail, and came in in 2008 sometime. They are much quieter than the PD ones. Lower emmissions too. The torque curve would be different than the older 2 litre, so while both are 140bhp they do feel a little different to drive. I haven't heard of any problems with the Common Rail one, although it does like a little oil from time to time too!
    I say go for a well minded one. No point in holding on to an older generation car because you're afraid of the unreliability of newer models. All new diesels are more complex, higher power, lower emmissions and less reliable than their earlier counterparts, but if you're afraid of that then you're as well off go back to an old 1.6 non-turbo Jetta diesel from the early 90's. They won't let ya down! :)

Totally agree by the same logic you should avoid buying any new thing as there may possibly be problems with it in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the OP is looking at late 2008 or early 2009 A4 then he is looking at the B8 (current) shape which has the Common Rail engines only. The 1.9 or 2.0 PD TDi engines were never used in the B8 shape A4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭djdeclan

Tea 1000 wrote: »

Cheers for all the replies lads, my mechanic was hinting that the 2 litre was basically a disaster of an engine that would give me a load of trouble and be harder to fix (my current car hasn't given me an ounce of trouble in 2 years and 25,000 miles), but from what you tell me I have nothing out of the ordinary to worry about.

In other news, I was talking to a dealer today about changing and he told me that white A4s are making a premium of between €750 and €1,500 because of their colour.. Are people willing to fork out that much for a colour?!

In other news, I was talking to a dealer today about changing and he told me that white A4s are making a premium of between €750 and €1,500 because of their colour.. Are people willing to fork out that much for a colour?!

If that is the case, it's great news as we've a white A4 due back shortly. Looks like we stand a chance on not making a loss on an early 2008 car - which will be a pleasant change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Well they (Audi's) do look great in White.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

Do the Dual Mass Flywheels go in the newer 2.0TDI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

did you put your feet in the mechanics shoes and ask yourself why he's saying that? Granted it doesn't seem like he'd gain anything out of you keeping the old one, may actually loose business as you wouldn't be having all the supposed problems with the 2.0, but I find it's always a good habit to get into, why does he think that etc. Obviously you don't want to go down the extreme route and question what everyone says, but just in general bear it in mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Moanin wrote: »
    Do the Dual Mass Flywheels go in the newer 2.0TDI?

Yes.

The 2.0 PD TDIs are sh!te for reliability, perhaps this is why the OP's mechanic is advising him/her to steer clear of them?

I haven't heard of the newer CR diesels giving trouble with the engine(though they can go through gearboxes at a rate of knots), so far they are better than the PD engines they replaced(bar the 1.9 TDI which is bulletproof) but I would also say that the CRs are too new to have developed any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Yes, for precisely the same reasons that people pay more for a "D" reg(vanity/stupidity).

Cracked cylinder heads at 70K ish miles anyone ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

....In other news, I was talking to a dealer today about changing and he told me that white A4s are making a premium of between €750 and €1,500 because of their colour.. Are people willing to fork out that much for a colour?!

Bet he had a white one for sale ;)

RoverJames wrote: »
    Cracked cylinder heads at 70K ish miles anyone ?

I'd be surprised if there are many which have made it to that mileage yet. Don't think the CR was available until early 08.

Highest mileage we got back was 102,553kms. Tie Rod replaced at 99,216km. Boot lock and Horn fixed under warranty at 31,140km. Rest of service history we have is all normal service, tyres and tax - except the huge amount of body repairs that have been done to the car. From reading it looks like the driver is more used to bumper cars than small executive saloons :eek:

I first heard about them about 18 months ago, the lad I was talking to seemed to think it was the next social evil in motoring terms, much like the DMF :D From what I have heard since it was only on the early non CR VAG 2.0TDi.

Advertisement