Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oxygen sensor 'gone'

• 24-05-2010 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

I'l need to have this fixed as it could cause the catalytic convertor to blow, but i'm looking at a cost of 400 euro.
    il be charged around 300 euro for the part alone but i've found them on micks garage for half that ( here )

Problem is there are four different types there and im not sure which one is the correct one.
    I dont want to buy one only for the garage to say its the wrong one, and would they have a problem fitting it becuase I didnt get the part through them?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

A lot of garages don't install customer-supplied parts. Check with whatever garage you're going to to make sure they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

While not a direct reply I bought one for my RX8 here http://www.ecolambda.co.uk/ for like 70 pound - they're pretty good as for buying the right one if you gave your car make/model I'm sure someone here could point out what you need - oh and the year of registration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Depending on what car it is you can actually change this part DIY.

Viper_JB wrote: »
    While not a direct reply I bought one for my RX8 here http://www.ecolambda.co.uk/ for like 70 pound - they're pretty good as for buying the right one if you gave your car make/model I'm sure someone here could point out what you need - oh and the year of registration.

I'll be getting one for my 8 along with a new cat from MazdaRotaryParts. Great stuff at great prices if you wanna check them out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I'll be getting one for my 8 along with a new cat from MazdaRotaryParts. Great stuff at great prices if you wanna check them out!

And new coils? Exact same thing as myself...it's been an expensive few months - bought the cat on camskill.co.uk for near enough 400 squid pretty close price wize (got it the next day camskill rule for delivery times) though going to finish the ignition system and replace the leads and starter motor next will be pricing on that site thank you :D.
    biko wrote:
    Depending on what car it is you can actually change this part DIY.

It's pretty handy to do - practically plug and play for most modern cars provided you have a good and safe car jack.

• Advertisement

And new coils? Exact same thing as myself...it's been an expensive few months - bought the cat on camskill.co.uk for near enough 400 squid pretty close price wize (got it the next day camskill rule for delivery times) though going to finish the ignition system and replace the leads and starter motor next will be pricing on that site thank you :D.

No not the coils. I only replaced them last summer as a fix for the flooding but didn't work. Got new starter in january and that did the trick! I think I might try camskill if that's the delivery times they have!

I'll be replacing my leads with magnecor ones in the coming months. MRP's own starter is the business. It's faster than Mazda's fastest motor.

EDIT: just checked camskill, their cat is €600 + delivery. MRP is €536 including delivery :O

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

It's pretty handy to do - practically plug and play for most modern cars provided you have a good and safe car jack.

It sounds straight forward but I could make a complete balls of it, and I'd need seat to turn off the warning light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Theres normally 2 O2 sensors in the exhaust, one before the cat and one at the back of the cat.

The one that goes is the regulating one at the front.

Its the easiest thing in the world to replace, its like replacing a spark plug.

Go under the car, bring a spanner set, and loosen off the nut, its normally a big enough nut (15mm) or so as they can sieze on (wd40 will help here if it is). If its really tight, start the car for a couple of mins so the exhaust metal expands and then turn it off and loosen the nut.

Unclip the connector and take the sensor out to the light, it will give you the code on the sensor, use this code to find the correct one.

Meat Doria supply Micksgarage with their parts, so log on here and then put the code you see on the sensor and see what comes up, that will give you the correct code on micksgarage to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

If you use a O2 Sensor Socket it makes things a lot easier than using a spanner. Assuming you have a Rachet.
    I wouldnt recommend WD40 on a new O2 Sensor to aid fitting, they come pre-greased with Sensor safe grease.

Regarding the light, you dont need Seat to do that. Anyone with a VagCom could do this or just removed the Negative terminal on the battery for 10min.

On the pricing, you can buy cheapy ones online (eBay) for less than EUR50. For the, type of car (non-Sports/performance) I wouldnt be too bother paying for OEM parts.

Advertisement