Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real IRISH fast food ?

Options
  • 24-05-2010 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

With so many countries in the world having a fast food offering & considering that there's so many Irish flung so far globally, how come an Irish Fast Food franchise has never taken off ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

How about Supermacs and Abrakababra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Sorry, my bad, I meant franchises based on Irish food

I suppose you have to look at what traditional Irish food is.
    Bacon & cabbage, Irish stew & coddle hardley stuff you would be getting in a fast food outlet.
    My parents went to America once, and were invited to dinner by some far out relations and they gave them A traditional Irish dinner of Corn Beef and purple cabbage?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 electrofrog

Based on Irish food eh? what would they serve? Stew and Coddle :D

C'mon now what traditional Irish food do ye think would really do well in a fast food franchise

Bacon & cabbage, Irish stew & coddle hardley stuff you would be getting in a fast food outlet.
    My parents went to America once, and were invited to dinner by some far out relations and they gave them A traditional Irish dinner of Corn Beef and purple cabbage?

Bet me to it

• Advertisement

Well if you think creatively, there should be a way to use those traditional foods in a fast food environment, for example, (& straight off the top of my head using lando's first suggestion) bacon patty topped with deep fried cabbage, served on a soda bun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

Corned beef was used as a substitute for bacon by Irish immigrants in America as bacon was too expensive.

mmmmm...bacon patty topped with deep fried cabbage

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The breakfast roll is probably our most exportable fast food item (and maybe spicy wedges?). Not really going to worry BK or McD's?!

Was looking up Irish cuisine on Wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_cuisine
    Some interesting dishes never had boxty sounds like a mixture between a potatoe cake and a pancake might try it later

• Advertisement

Was looking up Irish cuisine on Wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_cuisine
    Some interesting dishes never had boxty sounds like a mixture between a potatoe cake and a pancake might try it later

Very tasty especially with a runny fried egg or two.

Gonna try boxty this weekend, as wess as trying to bake some soda buns

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

iMax wrote: »
    Well if you think creatively, there should be a way to use those traditional foods in a fast food environment, for example, (& straight off the top of my head using lando's first suggestion) bacon patty topped with deep fried cabbage, served on a soda bun.

Don't see it taking off really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

gallaghers in Temple Bar is an "Irish" restaurant. They serve boxtys and coddle and all that stuff. Great place to bring foreign friends. If you can get over the diddly diddly music that is..

there is no way that you could make a fast food version though. Well I suppose a boxty is a twisted version of a kebab.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Cinful

I'd buy it. If it's as good as Blue_Lagoon's cooking. She's Irish. Can she cook! Fast too!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

iMax wrote: »

But that wouldn't be an irish dish. Just because it use the same ingredients as bacon and cabbage doesn't make it irish. If McDs started selling curry milkshakes, they wouldn't be traditional indian dishes.

The is no irish fast food as irish cuisine is generally suited to proper meals, just like french, or italian cuisine, neither of which have any basis in fast food.
    Irish food belongs in irish pubs, and last I checked we were doing pretty well there

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Carvery to go? Set up a food stall with a slab a beaaf and some mashed pataytoes with gravy outside any nightclub and you'll be minted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Wouldn't mind a plate of champ after a night out... jaysus that stuff is magical.

Advertisement