Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exhaust.

• 24-05-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a honda shadow 125cc. I really like this bike. However, there is one problem with it. It sounds like a hairdryer!!!

Can anyone recommend somewhere I could get a new exhaust that would make it sound a bit louder? I don't want it to be screaming loud but I don't want it to sound the way it does either.

I have no problem buying online as I would be able to fit it myself.

Any suggestions?

Cheers..............

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Get a garage to de-baffle the exhaust, should make it sound a bit meatier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Get a garage to de-baffle the exhaust, should make it sound a bit meatier.

Is it illegal to run an exhaust without baffle in it? Maybe that's just in the UK, or making I'm making it up. Hehehehe.

alanmc wrote: »
    Is it illegal to run an exhaust without baffle in it? Maybe that's just in the UK, or making I'm making it up. Hehehehe.

Nope not illegal over here as there's no testing for bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Nope not illegal over here as there's no testing for bikes.

Surely it's going to attract the attention of our fine upstanding law enforcers though.

I remember when I lived in Spain, I used to go for spins with a mate of mine. I had a ZX6-R back then, but Dave had a 125cc 2-stroke (I think it was a Yamaha of some sort) off-roader. Anyway, he got an aftermarket exhaust fitted which made it sound ...... different let's put it that way .... especially on the overrun. We were out for an extended spin on the AP-7. I was touching 120mph, Dave was struggling to 100. Two bike cops came up behind us on BMW 1100s. They waved a hand at me to slow down. They pulled Dave over and screwed him to the wall.

My exhaust was stock but with an aftermarket Scorpion end-can (baffle installed) which made it sound meaty but not overly noisy.

Now maybe it was because Dave's bike (@100 mph) was bouncing off the rev limiter whereas my ZX6-R was probably tootling along at about 9k revs.

By all means make it sound better, but if it's shattering your neighbours Waterford crystal while it's warming up on choke, you've probably gone a little too far.

Disclaimer: I, in no way, advocate breaking speed limits. I was young and needed the money. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

No your right... it makes perfect sense that some spanner monkey with a chisel in a back street garage is bound to know infinitely more about exhaust design than multibillion dollar R&D people at Honda.

..get the baffles out, she'll probably top 150mph after that!

• Advertisement

si_guru wrote: »
    No your right... it makes perfect sense that some spanner monkey with a chisel in a back street garage is bound to know infinitely more about exhaust design than multibillion dollar R&D people at Honda.

o u so funni!!!1 xDDD!!!!!!111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Honda do the best they can with the tight emissions / noise restrictions imposed on them - something spanner monkeys aint too concerned about :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

i really dont get this post, is it some sort of kerry man joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

...if yer gonna start removing baffles, keep an eye on the colour of your sparkplugs before you burn a nice hole in your pistons, plus your bike might actually run slower (none of this 'my mate rode a bike for years and nothing happened his pistons' malarkey)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I have a honda shadow 125cc. I really like this bike. However, there is one problem with it. It sounds like a hairdryer!!!

Quick question:

Did you buy the bike to listen to it, or to ride it?

Use you money for petrol.

• Advertisement
Advertisement