Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is dog in heat?

Options
  • 24-05-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

I just noticed on Saturday after I got her clipped that my dog is swollen a bit around her neither regions (not sure what else to call it!). Is she coming into heat? Someone had said to me she could be going out of heat but I hadn't noticed the swelling previously and hadn't noticed any discharge over the past few weeks whereas I did the last time she was in heat.

She was last in heat in October so would be due around now as its six months or so later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

If her last heat was in October, it is very likely that she is coming back into heat. If she is licking at "her nether regions" (:p) more than usual, bit mopey and nesting then she is clearly coming into heat. Larger dogs tend to have bigger gaps in heat cycles than smaller breeds (a "cycle" can be anything from 4 to 9 months) so now may be right on que. However, if she is out of sorts and very down in herself it could be pyometia. Watch out for it - it is most common to occor half way between heats but can occor at other times in her cycle. If there are any signs of discomfort around her vulva she might have an infection that will need to be seen to by a vet.

If you are concerned about her then a trip to the vet would not go a miss - infections involving that region can turn very nasty if not treated quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

it's called the vulva, btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Get male dog to check her out he'll know whether she's in heat or not:cool:

Advertisement