Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance - Primary/Named.....

Options
  • 24-05-2010 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello all....

I'm thinking of buying a car at weekend, but have an insurance-related question someone might have some insight to..... I want to be a named rather than primary driver of the car if I buy it. My wife would be primary driver. She can't come to see car with me, so I'm wondering.... if I buy the car in my name on the day, do I have to then be the primary insured party on it, or can I just activate insurance with my wife as primary and me as named and drive it away that day? Any input welcome...... Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alot of insurance companies are very picky on this and will only list the primary insurer as the registered owner. You really need to contact the insurance company in question for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I've been down this road before with insurance companies and the general concensus I found is that they dont seem to have a problem when it comes to husband/wives ownership of cars & insurance.

I am the registered owner of both cars in the house but my missus is the policy holder for her car and I am just the named driver

Best call them first though to explain the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ricekrispie

Thanks for the advice lads. Will double-check with insurance co.

Advertisement