Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Record

Options
  • 24-05-2010 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Right so here's my problem,

I've serious drink problem, that when i Drink i blackout and cant remember and do stupid things, This has gotten me into trouble in the past with Drink driving and Garda and Wreaking 2 company cars.

So i'm currently serving a 6 year Ban and I was out drunk and took a car i have zero memory of it at all, But i was arrasted and after 2 years of in and out of court i've gotten a 3 month suspended sentance and a 10 year ban,

So what i want to know is can work technicly fire me for this, even though it was nothing to do with them and on my own time and nothing from the company involved.

I know i've disrespected the hell out of them and myself but I'm seeking alchol help and have been seeing a counselor for near on 2 years,

Nothing bad has happened since that night and i feel i'm addressing me issues but i have to meet my boss later for a chat and i fear he will be giving me bad news....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

This is not a criticism, but your username of feckinmuppet shows you seem to recognise your errors - thats a good start.

I have read your post 3 times and think I have all the details. There is a lot there to take into account.

As an employer, I have to ask myself: will your conduct affect your working role? Either in performance or daily duties (driving for example)? Then, is there any danger your conduct could follow you into work. (people coming in taking a shot at you).

Also:
    Does your employer know of your problems? What is their opinion of them? If they are liberal, they may just say nothing as long as you keep it out of work.

When you started your current job, did you have an application form which asked about history of criminal convictions etc etc

There are so many variables, this is a complicated issue.

If the employer doesnt know, and they find out, AND they see it as an issue, they could let you go.

If they accept you have a problem and are addressing it, they may do nothing.

Just keep your head down and work hard. Show them you are an asset that they need. Go the extra bit for the company. Show how valuable you are.

If you are slacking or drawing attention to yourself, you may be let go. There is bound to be grounds in your contract they could use

Work at it and you can put this behind you.

Good Luck

Superscouse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

What did your boss say ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Sorry to hear things are that bad, I hope you find somebody who can help you to sort yourself out. A lot of us have an iffy relationship with drink and the culture doesn't help if you can't hold it.

Anyway, unless its impacting your work performance, I doubt they will sack you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

if you are a taxi driver then yes he could fire you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

2 company cars destroyed already how are you still there ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

You obviously don't need a licence for your current postion, ( as you already had a 6 year driving ban before you ****ed up again resulting in a 10 year ban....) the company you work for must have a soft spot for you (you have written off two of their cars and they still havn't sacked you) so your current predicament shouldn't bother them too much....

having re-read you post, you stated that you are "currently serving a 6 year Ban and I was out drunk and took a car" does that mean that you took a car with out the owners consent while on a current ban????, trying to read between the lines here, but it sounds like you got pissed, stole a car while banned and got cought??

I hope you finally cop on to yourself, appreciate the fact the fact you got away relatively lightly, eat humble pie, and hopefully keep your job and learn from the breaks you have recieved, whether deserved or not.

Booze can be a demon, having worked in the pub trade i have seen what it has done, and experienced its effects first hand i hope you appreicate how lucky you are to be still alive and have a job, and learn and mature from your current situation.

Advertisement