Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assignment 37 - Local or Hidden History

• 24-05-2010 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

The theme of this assignment is: Local / Hidden History

I've picked this as I think it will make for some interesting results and it should be pretty inclusive as there's no special gear, techniques or software required and the subject is pretty broad no?

So.. the more local and relevant it is to you and your area the more interesting I think it will be?

Suggestions - Graveyard, museums, monuments, statues, local mill or factory, canal, castle, park, round tower, famous location, shipwreck, mine, old school etc.

I would be great to stretch people a little by encouraging you to write a bit of background on the location or subject matter or link a reference e.g Wikipedia Doesn't have to be a huge amount but I always love reading the story behind the shot so to speak. Please include your caption/comment/essay:P:P with your pic in the thread. (Optional , based on some feedback I think its important that emphasis is on the pic)

Here's the kinda thing Im talkin about -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trigger76/4622962478/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trigger76/4188413147/

General rules apply:

*Photos must be in by 2 weeks of given task - closing date midnight Sunday 6 June.
    *No old photos. Only photos taken with this task in mind qualify - sorry. Therefore, dated 23rd of May onwards.
    *Photos must be on the given task.
    *ONE photo per post. Post as many as you like.
    *C&C to be encouraged - but be nice about it.
    *Stretch yourself - no limitation to what you can do to produce the image.
    *Next task/subject to be chosen by person who has the most thanks after their post (must include a picture in the post ).

Hope everyone is cool with this? I recognise its possibly not as straight forward as some of the other assignments but I think it has potential to give us some interesting gems.

Trev

PS By the way I have no idea what Im gonna do so dont want to build any false expectations here:D :rolleyes::D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

4635816358_315cf4c4b8_o.jpg

I've lived near this castle for the last 20 years. What's even more strange, is that today was the first time ever I went to visit it. I was really pleased that I did :)

Anyway, it was this assignment choice that lead me to a place that is quite an amazing location for photography. That I never really knew existed

wiki article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

CE352D7003C448B89FBFBC53595A1E64-800.jpg

history found here.
    http://indigo.ie/~skerries/history/rept0304.html

cycled past this place the other day and said to myself i must come back and have a look. then this assignment cropped up and was perfect excuse. the graveyard is tucked away at the side of the road and overgrown.very peaceful spot some of the grave stones had date of 1806. but there were other headstones there that were nothing more than stubs and i could not make out the carvings but i would imagine they were there much longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

1C2F5118EBD84DFBA8595E40A5CD85D7-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Great idea for the assignment(even though I have no idea what to shoot) - I really feel disappointed sometimes when people post very interesting 'place' shots on the Random thread - with not a word:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Termonfeckin (from the Irish: Tearmann Feichín meaning "Feichin's refuge")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Termonfeckin

FA0781C4CC494D0AAF39D1C4B0C7E1EF-500.jpg

• Advertisement

Chorcai wrote: »
    Termonfeckin (from the Irish: Tearmann Feichín meaning "Feichin's refuge")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Termonfeckin

As Father Ted might say - 'that's Feckin brilliant':):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Mel fan

Corkagh Park is a gem in West Dublin, running from Clondalkin along the Naas Road.
    There are a number of old mills in the park, including the one below; the old Clondalkin Oil Mill (also known as Fairview Oil Mill), which was powered by the Camac river.
    The mill is recorded as being ruinous as far back as 1663. It was a small flour mill which would have been used to grind grain for local consumption. The oil mill produced linseed oil which was extracted from the seed of the flax plant.

I have been in this park many times in the last year and only noticed it today when I was looking for it, thanks Trev!

CA3152F3974A4686B4478FA9E34EC2DF-500.jpg

http://parks.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=73&Itemid=133
    http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/history-heritage/built-heritage-1700-today/the-mills-of-south-dublin/the-mills-of-clondalkin/

http://pix.ie/melfan/1693792

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭term

Went up the Glasnevin Cemetery today to see how far the refurbishment for the 2016 anniversaey has come, and it's really amazing. The older part of the graveyard has been completely cleaned up, new paths laid and most of the fallen monuments restored. The centre-piece of the republican/national heroes looks excellent as well, and the visitor centre has a great cafe. All well done to OPW for the work.
    Broke my heart to see a guy in his mid-20's sitting on a newer grave, in tears on his own amidst all of this.
    More pics on the flickr page (not of the guy, obviously).

4639169476_d687377c41.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Famous for Gentlemen's shirts....

4639053033_4d9eafd329_b.jpg

Took this this morning;

p5250051pp.jpg

It's The Tholsel/Millmount in Drogheda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 *Jess*

history found here.
    http://indigo.ie/~skerries/history/rept0304.html

cycled past this place the other day and said to myself i must come back and have a look. then this assignment cropped up and was perfect excuse. the graveyard is tucked away at the side of the road and overgrown.very peaceful spot some of the grave stones had date of 1806. but there were other headstones there that were nothing more than stubs and i could not make out the carvings but i would imagine they were there much longer[/QUOTE]

Nice! Reminds me of a shot from movie or something. I could imagine it on a canvas too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Leinster Market, Dublin 2

6421E222569841149CB206686297C369-800.jpg

Worked near here for many years. The bridge across the middle joined two parts of the Gas Company, and the lane itself connects D'Olier St and Hawkins St. There was another very narrow lane that went out from the right of this picture onto Burgh Quay. Madigans (The Galleon) used that lane for keg storage. An opening on the other side led into the Harp Bar basement disco bar (remember them!). Sometime in the early 90s, I think, the right of way to Leinster Market was blocked off by the installation of gates. I don't know who made this decision or how they could get away with it. Much of the property around here is now owned by Trinity College.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Great stuff Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Just thought that I'd mention a book that could be useful to people for this assignment (aside from your own local knowledge). It's called "Guide to National and Historic Monuments of Ireland" by Peter Harbison, published by Gill & Macmillan. ISBN 0-7171-3239-0

I came across this site doing my bit of research http://www.abandonedireland.com/

Some great pics of really great places.

Trev M wrote: »
    I came across this site doing my bit of research http://www.abandonedireland.com/

Some great pics of really great places.

I remember coming across that site a few weeks back, as you say there are some good pics, but what I found frustrating was that the locations were not always shared.

I hear ya - but to be fair I think the guy indicates in one of the sets ("Lost Mines in Wicklow") some of the people he contacts may not want a lot of people snooping around I suppose for fear of someone getting injured , possibly insurance claims etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

dryarch300.jpg

To celebrate the milennium, Donegal County Council commissioned renowned sculptor Maurice Harron to create a sculpture of two figures based on a 19th century photograph of workers laying railway lines. The figures are made of stainless steel, and the base represents the old railway viaduct near Letterkenny. This artefact is situated at the roundabout which leads to the dual carraigeway.

This is the first thing you see when entering the town from the South or East, and as someone who works away from home a lot, it lets me know I'm back!

I have made two versions, so two seperate posts.

DSC_3914_Border.jpg

:)

Here's another view:

DSC_3748_V1_Border.jpg

Am I correct in saying there are no railways lines up that part of the country these days?:D

• Advertisement

Trev M wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying there are no railways lines up that part of the country these days?:D

Long gone, but we live in hope! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lovely_do0ody

cool .... this pic's is great

IMG_1745.JPG

The Hiring Fair Sculpture (aka The Rabble Children).

This monument was created by Maurice Harron and was erected in December 1994. Hiring Fairs were held in Letterkenny in years gone by when children between the ages of 11 and 16 were sold for periods of six months to wealthy farmers of the Lagan Valley. These Rabble Days were held annually in May and November at Speer's Lane, at the corner of Upper Main Street and this lasting memory to that era can be seen at the Market Square.

I love this sculpture, as the textures on the faces of the children make their expressions change with the light!

Again, I have two versions to enter :o

DSC_3924_V5_Border.jpg

Second version:

DSC_3924_V4_Border.jpg

That's all from me, for this assignment.
    Thanks to Trev M for coming up with an assignment so interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

mrmac wrote: »
    dryarch300.jpg

When first constructed, Letterkenny taxi drivers got a few calls to collect "The Tinney brothers" out at the dry arch before they copped.... :p

4643535994_08bef500cd_b.jpg

Monkstown Castle
    [FONT=verdana,arial,sans-serif]Monkstown Castle was probably built about the twelfth or thirteenth century and was erected by the Cistercian Monks of St. Mary’s Abbey that stood outside the walls of ancient Dublin, on the northern bank of the Liffey. Amongst the lands by which it was endowed were those of Carrrickbrennan, now forming the greater part of the Parish of Monkstown and including the lands on which Kingstown, Glenageary and Bulloch are built.[/FONT]

4643885349_34af67e544.jpg

Roof detail from The Church Of Ireland Parish Church, Monkstown, Dublin. Some details of history are here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

where you based dave? was only thinking of the monkstown castle. i know it as wheelers castle though. not sure why i called it that, must have been a local thing.

• Advertisement

T-rev wrote: »
    where you based dave? was only thinking of the monkstown castle. i know it as wheelers castle though. not sure why i called it that, must have been a local thing.

I live in Bray, work in Sandyford, but have family in Blackrock, so was wandering around a bit yesterday evening ;)

4644732966_836b5e43d4.jpg

Exterior of Monkstown Castle

Heh thats gas I live about five mins away from the castle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

I lived 5 mins from that castle too until I was 26.

Small world I moved into monsktown when I was 26 :eek: Its like a Trev swap out :eek::eek:

4FCBA85E62854DC58EC519F44CB0A0A0.jpg

Lighthouse at the end of Dun Laoghaire East Pier.

The Pier runs 1290 meters and was built during a period from 1817 - 1823 with the lighthouse being constructed 1847 with dwelling facilities for the lighthouse keeper and family . In 1944 a diaphone fog signal was installed, consisting of a piston driven by compressed air. In July 1968 the East Pier station switched from vapourised paraffin to electricity, and became unmanned. The lighthouse became fully automated Oct 1977.

On the 8th February 2008, the Dún Laoghaire Harbour Company began resurfacing the top level of the East Pier of Dún Laoghaire Harbour Im delighted to report that the restoration is due to be complete by 8th June2010!

• Advertisement

6E41141EB7894C8EB9B2E215CFE8E8A7.jpg

CHRIST THE KING

"In 1978 the statue dedicated to Christ the King at the end of Haigh Terrace in Dun Laoghaire was unveiled. Made of bronze it was designed by American born sculptor Andrew O’Connor. Based in Paris for many years O’Connor was strongly influenced by Auguste Rodin whom he knew. O’Connor’s work is well represented in Dublin’s Hugh Lane Gallery of Modern Art and his pieces are on display in many parts of the world. Some of his most notable works include a statue of Abraham Lincoln in Springfield, Illinois, Tristan and Iseult in the Brooklyn Museum, New York, the Lafayette Monument, Baltimore and Peace by Justice in the Hague. He was given the French Government’s Legion d’Honneur for his Monument aux Marts de la Grande Guerre. lihis sculpture later became known in Ireland as the Triple Cross and more recently the Christ the King memorial, Dun Laoghaire."

“The original decision to erect a monument to Christ the King came at a public meeting on June 9, 1931 in the Town Hall, Dun Laoghaire. An appeal booklet appeared the following year announcing Andrew O’Connor as the committee’s choice of sculptor. The piece was eventually cast in bronze but World War II intervened and it was hidden in France to avoid its three tonnes being melted down for war use. It was eventually delivered to Dun Laoghaire in 1949. However, due to local clerical opposition to the stark design the statue was not erected and for many years was stored in a back garden on Rochestown Avenue. Eventually Christ the King was unveiled on December 16, 1978 forty-seven years after the public meeting in the town hail.”

The sculpture is 18 feet high and symbolises three distinct aspects of Christ’s life; Desolation, Consolation and Triumph.

Ref: http://thedogsinthestreet.net/2010/03/07/christ-the-king-in-dun-laoghaire/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Can I very humbly submit a photo ? am a newbie and very slowly trying to learn, but I like the challenge :D I'm in awe of the pics on here.

This is an ogham stone at Knockboy Church, Co Waterford. Several Ogham stones were used in the building of the church, as mantels for the windows, so this pic is taken looking up from under the mantel. The church is now a ruin, adjoined by a graveyard where the oldest graves I could decipher the engravings on were around the 1760s (but there are older ones impossible to read). The building is derelict, and ivy's growing everywhere, that's the "plant" in the pic. I like that centuries ago, whoever built the church felt the need to preserve the ogham stones probably found in the area. It's the past preserving the past :).
    http://www.waterfordcountymuseum.org/exhibit/web/Display/article/72/

4641652903_7a4ff822f2.jpg

Please ignore the frame, moment of weakness :o.

Sorry every one, just realized should have said lintel instead of mantel... am French, if that's any excuse :/

Good stuff Mountainsandh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 psycrow

Always come on here for a gander but never post so I thought i'd give it a go

Glasnevin Cemetery - The round tower which stands over Daniel O'Connell's Tomb

4641939826_c6db38573e_b.jpg

My Flickr

2yl5y5v.jpg

Photograph 29/5/2010

The Leixlip Spa situated close to the Royal Canal at Louisa Bridge was discovered in 1793 by a group of workmen excavating for the canal.
    William Connolly who acquired Leixlip Castle in 1732 had planned to develop the spa into a classic Roman type thermal spa but it fell into disrepair.

The Spa water bubbles up from the ground at a constant 75 degrees (Fahrenheit= 23 degrees Celsius) and then drains into the Rye River below.

Over the years the Spa had disappeared into the countryside but with the Leixlip Spa Committee now reconvened the future of the Spa is bright and hopefully it will once again be a place to visit and enjoy.
    The Royal Canal was built to compete with the Grand and the canal was conceived by a disgruntled member of the Grand Canal Board. The canal was to be 146 kilometres long and construction began in 1790.
    The Leixlip site was the venue for one of the most expensive civil engineering tasks ever undertaken in Ireland as the canal had to cross the Rye water valley, 85 feet below the level of the canal.
    The engineering effort took 6 years to complete and cost more than £150 million by today’s standards.

• Advertisement

keps wrote: »

Photograph 29/5/2010

The Leixlip Spa situated close to the Royal Canal at Louisa Bridge was discovered in 1793 by a group of workmen excavating for the canal.
    William Connolly who acquired Leixlip Castle in 1732 had planned to develop the spa into a classical thermal spa but to no avail.
    The Spa water bubbles from the ground at a constant 75 degrees and then drains into the Rye River below.

Over the years the Spa had disappeared into the countryside but with the Leixlip Spa Committee now reconvened the future of the Spa is bright and hopefully it will once again be a place to visit and enjoy.
    The Royal Canal was built to compete with the Grand and the canal was conceived by a disgruntled member of the Grand Canal Board. The canal was to be 146 kilometres long and construction began in 1790.
    The Leixlip site was the venue for one of the most expensive civil engineering tasks ever undertaken in Ireland as the canal had to cross the Rye water valley, 85 feet below the level of the canal.
    The engineering effort took 6 years to complete and cost more than £150 million by today’s standards.

Brilliant piece of history. What a great idea this challenge is, I'm hooked to the thread now.

Thanks -have to admit my historical input was minimal - ain't Google Great
    :):)

Now that you've got me interested I can add..

The geological explanation for thermal springs is that they are associated with synclinal folds extending, like valleys, deep down into the rock which forms the earth's crust. They may be thousands of feet deep. They were formed in ancient seas the carboniferous or limestone period and were in due course filled with the usual horizontally stratified limestone. Because limestone is such a water permeable rock these deep folds allow the water to make contact with warmer rock at great depths. As a result of this warming at a great depth, cyclic convection currents on a huge scale are set up with warm water rising at three to four mile intervals and cold water descending to replace it at centres in between.

The water bubbling into Spas such as the Leixlip one never freezes no matter how low the ground temperature gets. It stays at a constant 23/24 degrees Celsius.

psycrow wrote: »
    Always come on here for a gander but never post so I thought i'd give it a go

The idea was to give a bit of background on the photo- where is it etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

4651106190_8b59e74daf.jpg

pete4130 wrote: »

Pete can you fill us in on the Local / Hidden History

Thanks -have to admit my historical input was minimal - ain't Google Great
    :):)

Ah but the choice was great, don't be so modest :D

I'll be watching out for all these places next time I do any bit of travelling around. The lost ireland website is brilliant too, can't remember who posted the link.

There's a nice bit of history behind this one too, so thought I'd post it.

In 1985, a young girl in the O'Rourke family who had come to say the rosary at this grotto in Melleray, had an apparition of Our Lady. The next day a little boy had another vision, and a message from Our Lady to the people of Ireland. For a week, a number of people at the grotto reported visions/apparitions, and messages from Our Lady, the crowds grew bigger day by day, and the place became mobbed with people who saw the statue moving, or saw her speaking, crying, etc... Around the same time in Ireland, other places reported "moving statues". The grotto is still a very popular place of pilgrimage to this day, with prayers being said there on a regular basis.
    I went there intending to take pics of the religious paraphenilia that was exhibited in the shelter at the grotto, there were crutches, religious statues and pictures, rosary beads... but when I got there, everything had been removed. It seems the shelter is about to be modernised, so I missed my shot :(.

She didn't move for the pic though :P.

4645576009_2fec7dbfc9.jpg

My little brain has trouble trying to figure out size of pics once posted on the page... :/ Not possible to change size in edit ???

edit : yeay ! did it ! just had to compare urls and change manually :) There's hope for me yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

My little brain has trouble trying to figure out size of pics once posted on the page... :/ Not possible to change size in edit ???

You need to click on "go advanced" when in the editing box, then you have the usual buttons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 psycrow

The idea was to give a bit of background on the photo- where is it etc

Sorry yeah I edited my original post there

• Advertisement
Advertisement