Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

trouble removing a cassette

• 24-05-2010 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Looking for a little advice. I am trying to remove the cassette from a Mavic wheel. It is a Shimano 9 speed Cassette and I have a chain whip and lockring tool. I can see the rotation direction to lock as it is printed on the lockring. But the issue is that the lockring seems to be stuck. I have tried in vain a number of times to open. I am afraid of damaging the wheel. Any suggestions on how i can get this open ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Probably just a little tight - use more leverage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Looking for a little advice. I am trying to remove the cassette from a Mavic wheel. It is a Shimano 9 speed Cassette and I have a chain whip and lockring tool. I can see the rotation direction to lock as it is printed on the lockring. But the issue is that the lockring seems to be stuck. I have tried in vain a number of times to open. I am afraid of damaging the wheel. Any suggestions on how i can get this open ?

try spraying a bit of WD40 as well might help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I feel your pain, I had trouble removing a lockring recently. I let some penetrating oil sit around the threads (keep a rag around the axle to stop it getting near the bearings) and did what Morgan said: more leverage. It was made harder by the grip on the (cheap) chainwhip slipping off.

Maybe take it to a bike shop, if they have a vise grip they can get much more grip and leverage. Worse situation is they destroy the lockring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Worse situation is they destroy the lockring.

This would be my guess. I use a large (probably 18 inch) torque wrench, and the lockring (anti-)teeth tend to get a bit damaged when I apply proper leverage with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

@theotherone, Before applying more grunt, double-check to make sure that there is little or no play between your wrench and the lockring tool. An adjustable wrench should work fine, but if yours is either short (on the handle) or can't be adjusted to fit very well, then it may be an option to use a 1" socket on the lockring tool (depends on the tool though - Park tools will work with a 1" socket, for example). If your lockring tool lets you, remove the springs on your skewer and feed it through the hub and lock ring tool to reduce the risk of the tool popping out as you increase the pressure you are applying.

Also, try moving the chainwhip to a different ring (down the cassette towards the lockring) to see if that makes any difference as sometimes you can find yourself wasting energy just trying to keep the two tools in the same plane if the chainwhip is on a ring high up on the cassette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 theotherone

Thanks for the tips, a little more leverage seem to do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mrbike

try spraying a bit of WD40 as well might help

I wouldn't recommend this. Spraying WD40 into your freehub can remove the lubricant around the bearings. If you need to, use oil not a solvent.

Advertisement