Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Providers.

Options
  • 24-05-2010 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I know this subject has been discussed before but it seems to be constantly changing. Who at the moment is providing the best broadband service? Im currently with Vodafone but find the broadband a bit sluggish. I hear NTL offer 24 mb is it reliable ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I have just switched to UPC/NTL 30MB and phone service, since it is cheaper than Eircom's 7MB (really 2-4 MB in Charlesland) broadband/phone package. I'll let you know how I get on once the signal kicks in.

(They also have 5MB and 15MB packages which are even cheaper.)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

I have NTL 15mb broadband and its brilliant. So fast and I haven't had any problems so far! I was with Vodafone/BT and it kept disconnecting. I haven't had that problem with NTL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

In Charlesland "UPC" are the hands down winner on speed and price.

I have the 15mb package and it rarely drops below 12mb.

I have just switched to UPC/NTL 30MB and phone service, since it is cheaper than Eircom's 7MB (really 2-4 MB in Charlesland) broadband/phone package. I'll let you know how I get on once the signal kicks in.

(They also have 5MB and 15MB packages which are even cheaper.)

I had the installers in today. It only took about 15 minutes--but that may be because I was already hooked up to UPC digital TV. Then it was an hour or two until the system kicked in. So far, so good. I'm getting about 20MB on speedtest.net but that's with WiFi - haven't tried with a direct cable to the modem yet.

If you are in Charlesland, you should have UPC cabled up to your house, even if you're not using their TV service. I don't think UPC broadband is available in Greystones proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Decks79

Yeah im in charlesland. Did you need them to install it for you? I was told i could probably do it myself? Is it complicated?

• Advertisement

Decks79 wrote: »
    Yeah im in charlesland. Did you need them to install it for you? I was told i could probably do it myself? Is it complicated?

I wasn't given the option of installing it myself. However, if ordered online, installation is free.

It's not complicated, but I think they definitely need to do it for you especially if you don't already have the TV service. (But you don't have to have to TV service to get the broadband, I believe.)

They will send an engineer. They wont allow self installs for some reason.

Damo9090 wrote: »
    They will send an engineer. They wont allow self installs for some reason.

They are not sending anyone out to me, they said they said they will be sending the modem via courier. I already have UPC as my TV provider so they said its easy enough to install. Should i request an engineer?

They are not sending anyone out to me, they said they said they will be sending the modem via courier. I already have UPC as my TV provider so they said its easy enough to install. Should i request an engineer?

Its simple to install. Connect tv and power cable to modem and your laughing.

I had tv when i ordered the BB and they insisted that the engineer had to install. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Personally, I think you are better off getting an engineer. It's easy to install, but if there are any signal faults or poor connection (my sitting room connection wasn't strong enough for both TV and broadband) then the engineer will be around to fix it on the spot.

Your install should go without a hitch, but then again there is always a chance that you could get stuck.

Do you know if the person that lived there before you had UPC broadband? If they did, you can be pretty sure everything will work the way you want it to.

• Advertisement

no one lived here before me. Might just install myself and if i have any problems ill get on to them.

UPC broadband is down this morning. Tech support says it's a general problem in the local area.

Not a very good first impression for a brand new customer!

UPC broadband is down this morning. Tech support says it's a general problem in the local area.

Not a very good first impression for a brand new customer!

Indeed, but it is rare.

Good to know, Damo. It was down for 2 or 3 hours in the morning yesterday. I work from home so I need a reliable service, but it's been fine since it came back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

UPC is definately your best bet OP.

I am using UTV at the moment as UPC is not available to me :(. It's perfect, download speeds are a little slow as it's only a 3mb connection. The phone line can only handle 5mb... which is pathetic in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I've been having a lot of problems with UPC down just in the last month or so - not happy with it at all

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭caji

I don't have any experience with UPC as I use Vodafone. My advice is to avoid them!!
    We had a problem with our broadband recently. It took about 10 phone calls and about 3 hours on the phone dealing with different people each time to get a solution. The problem was with the router (which we told them initially) but they had to go through their checklist from the start each time we rang. Very frustrating. They say they keep records of their calls - they don't! :mad:

Well i took the plunge and went with UPC. Cany say im too happy though. While the speed test tells my im getting a speed of 11mb's it certainly doesnt feel that way.

Tried to send a mail from my iphone there and it took forever, with vodafone it was pretty instant. Feels like im doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

I have been using the Irish broad band wireless service for 2 years and it is the most reliable I could find. I get 4Mb/4Mb for €50 per month and for the reliability it can't be beaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheBardWest

We're moving to Wicklow Town early July - living near Seapoint. Recommendations for Broadband there? Someone suggested Irish Broadband fixed, but apparently they don't service Seapoint. A neighbor has Vodafone, though I'm not impressed by their offerings nor the reviews. Any other suggestions?

• Advertisement
Advertisement