Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom enacts three strikes rule

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Guys can someone please help - I know this thread is a few months old but my dad got one of these letters today from eircom about illegal music sharing. I am the primary and only Internet user on the house and I have NEVER downloaded anything illegally. I only ever download music from iTunes. I'm really freaked out by this and don't know what to do.

It says I downloaded Imelda May and the ironic thing is I have her album bur I got it LEGALLY from iTunes.

Eircom is basically telling me that I'm responsible for this even though I haven't done it and have no idea how it happened!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

leahyl wrote: »
    Guys can someone please help - I know this thread is a few months old but my dad got one of these letters today from eircom about illegal music sharing. I am the primary and only Internet user on the house and I have NEVER downloaded anything illegally. I only ever download music from iTunes. I'm really freaked out by this and don't know what to do.

It says I downloaded Imelda May and the ironic thing is I have her album bur I got it LEGALLY from iTunes.

Eircom is basically telling me that I'm responsible for this even though I haven't done it and have no idea how it happened!!

Is your wifi secured with a WEP/WPA password? Anybody in the house use bittorrent or limewire or anything like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Do you have one of those stupid Eircom wireless routers/modems that any 12 year old can get the password for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

When a torrent file is being downloaded, the "swarm" contains the ip addresses who are up/down loading the file. Lots of trackers add fake ip addresses to the swarm. These ip addresses are what the record companies use to identify file-sharers. This means that your ip address could have been added to the swarm by someone else and seen by the record companies.

That's the problem with this system and I would like to see it tested in court. If Eircom is inspecting packets, then the above information is a bit useless as it would mean that eircom could confirm that you were indeed downloading a torrent file.

TPD wrote: »

Is your wifi secured with a WEP/WPA password? Anybody in the house use bittorrent or limewire or anything like that?

I have no idea what bittorrent or limewire is!! I'm really clueless on these things! Is WEP the password on the bottom of the router? If it is then yes I have one of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Im with SMART. 1:1 Contention, cant complain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I have no idea what bittorrent or limewire is!! I'm really clueless on these things! Is WEP the password on the bottom of the router? If it is then yes I have one of them!

Yup. I'm guessing your wireless broadcast name is 'eircom12345678' or something. You should change your password (go to 192.168.1.254 in a web browser, click wireless, there should be options to change the password), which will mean reconnecting any wireless devices like your laptop, to your router, with the new password. Somebody nearby has probably been stealing your internet.

With regards to eircom, I'd reply that somebody has gained access to your internet because of their own awful encryption system, and downloaded the files without your knowledge. I'm not sure what legal legs you have to stand on, but it's more eircom's fault than yours. Also, if you have any proof from Apple that you bought the album through iTunes, you should probably forward that to them too. A dated invoice email or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

When did you get eircom internet? If you have a netopia router from a few years ago, a child could crack your wifi.

TPD wrote: »

Yup. I'm guessing your wireless broadcast name is 'eircom12345678' or something. You should change your password (go to 192.168.1.254 in a web browser, click wireless, there should be options to change the password), which will mean reconnecting any wireless devices like your laptop, to your router, with the new password. Somebody nearby has probably been stealing your internet.

With regards to eircom, I'd reply that somebody has gained access to your internet because of their own awful encryption system, and downloaded the files without your knowledge. I'm not sure what legal legs you have to stand on, but it's more eircom's fault than yours. Also, if you have any proof from Apple that you bought the album through iTunes, you should probably forward that to them too. A dated invoice email or something.

Thanks - and the weird thing is I was syncing my iPod with my computer the other day and I lost a load of music - once again I did nothing that would cause this to happen - and I lost a few albums, one of them being Imelda may so I'm wondering has this something to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

PK2008 wrote: »
    Quick question:

Is downloading 20 GB of pr0n per day considered suspicious?

Way a head of ya! Both Eircom and NTL view this is as 'reasonable use'. Equally my doctor reckons the crippling pains in my arm and the 'chicken skinning' of my nob is down to 'run-of-the-mill wear and tear' and is 'to-be-expected' for a young man of my age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Send them a copy of the email reciept for your itunes purchase of imelda may and a photocopy of your hand giving them the middle finger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

i left eircom a long time back im with UPC now and have no problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Show eircom your receipts for legally purchased music then sue them for slander.

Advertisement