Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holidays not allowed

Options
  • 24-05-2010 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

Ok

So i requested my holidays from my boss and after 4 weeks they came back to me to state that I could not take 2 weeks together at the time I requested due to it being our busy period.

At this stage I had already booked my holidays. So If I dont go I will lose the money I have paid for my flights and hotel deposit which is about €1000 at this stage.

I work a two day week and my colleague that I work with is more than happy to cover my hours. As I had no problem covering her hours when she was away for 5 weeks in a row at the start of the year.

Do I have any rights? She has said I can take two weeks at an off peak time, but my kids are in school. So it means I cant take them out of school for holidays.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This is from citizensinformation.ie
    It is for your employer to decide when annual leave may be taken, but this is subject to a number of conditions. Your employer must take into account your family responsibilities, opportunities for rest and recreation that are available to you and to consult with you (or your union) at least one month before the leave is to be taken. In addition, annual leave should be taken within the appropriate leave year or with your consent, within 6 months of the relevant leave year. Further holding over (also known as carrying-over) of annual leave at your wish is a matter for agreement between you and your employer.

Do you have a union rep you can speak to first?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

eoin wrote: »
    This is from citizensinformation.ie

Do you have a union rep you can speak to first?

No we are not unionised unfortunately.

I have 5 and a half weeks holidays for this year and have only taken one week, so I have four and a half to take... which I am not allowed take in summer months...

See, I don't know how this part works:
    "Your employer must take into account your family responsibilities"

I don't know if there are any guidelines whatsoever as to what this actually means, or it's really as vague as it looks. Unless there are firmer definitions, then it looks like the only part set in stone is that they can decide when you take your leave. But that's purely based on a layman reading a few websites!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Quality wrote: »
    Ok

So i requested my holidays from my boss and after 4 weeks they came back to me to state that I could not take 2 weeks together at the time I requested due to it being our busy period.

At this stage I had already booked my holidays. So If I dont go I will lose the money I have paid for my flights and hotel deposit which is about €1000 at this stage.

Sorry but that's entirely your own fault. You took liberties by booking and paying for your holiday before your boss had approved it.

I've seen people do this sort of thing countless times in companies i've worked in, and it not only p*sses off your colleagues (who may have an increased workload if you were refused because someone else has already been approved to take holidays at the same time), but your boss too, who will resent you for just assuming you could book your holiday without him saying you could have the time off.

eth0_ wrote: »
    Sorry but that's entirely your own fault. You took liberties by booking and paying for your holiday before your boss had approved it.

I've seen people do this sort of thing countless times in companies i've worked in, and it not only p*sses off your colleagues (who may have an increased workload if you were refused because someone else has already been approved to take holidays at the same time), but your boss too, who will resent you for just assuming you could book your holiday without him saying you could have the time off.

I know, but that is the thing, My colleague is more than happy to cover for me, she works part time also and would love the extra few hours. There is no problem with cover. It is just my boss being difficult.

And the fact that she took 4 weeks to come back to tell me I couldnt have them pisses me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Is it possible your boss does not know your collegue will cover for you ?

InReality wrote: »
    Is it possible your boss does not know your collegue will cover for you ?

She knows she is available as my colleague took 5 weeks holidays early on in the year (in a row) she has used up her holiday entitlement. I covered for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

She knows she is available as my colleague took 5 weeks holidays early on in the year (in a row) she has used up her holiday entitlement. I covered for her.

Yes, but have you actually told your boss that your colleague has offered to cover for you?

Don't assume your boss will just ask someone to cover for you.

Also, I agree with eth0_, consider it a lesson learned. Always wait for the go-ahead before booking anything.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Yes, but have you actually told your boss that your colleague has offered to cover for you?

Don't assume your boss will just ask someone to cover for you.

Also, I agree with eth0_, consider it a lesson learned. Always wait for the go-ahead before booking anything.

Yes she does know. I work a 2 day week and so does my colleague.

She knows I have cover.
    She knows I will lose my deposit.
    She knows my kids are in school.

I mean, I am not that indespensible.

It is a lesson learned on my behalf, I will no longer accomodate her when she is looking for me to cover holidays on my days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Have you examples where you did cover holidays on your days off? If so list them with dates etc and engage with her again and say look I have helped you out on these occassions when you needed it. Admit you were wrong to book the holidays without her clearance of the days but its a reality now you lose money and disappoint your children. All you are asking is that she now returns the favour by granting you leave for these holidays. If she doesn't reply straight away leave her to think it over and make sure you let her know that you will not book holidays again without ensuring the leave is cleared.

Leave it at that. If she doesn't agree to it then fair enough you gave it your best shot. Don't book anything in future unless it is cleared. Its up to you if you want to accomodate her requests in future but if it suits you and you get more money don't cut off your nose to spite your face ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

And the fact that she took 4 weeks to come back to tell me I couldnt have them pisses me off.

It is strange that it took her so long to come back to you and given all you say that she is still requiring you to be there during this period...

I wonder is it possible that something is going to happen during that time, which will require your presence and that she is not a liberty to discuss right now....

Jim.

Not sure jim, but I do know one thing the place won't coming crashing down because of me
    taking two weeks leave. :)

and dead tiger,

cutting off my nose would be telling her to shove her job, but I won't be leaving until I get something else. It just makes me very frustrated

Just gonna hold out, I am not cancelling my holidays and losing my money and having to tell my kids they are not going away cause mammy has to work! No way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Did you book your holidays after you gave them notice?

I have to say I would be extremely pissed off if I handed in notice for holidays only to be told 4 weeks later that I can't go!

When are the hols booked for?

requested holidays april 13th, booked flights on april 20th.

I honestly didnt think it would be a problem, My colleague is available to cover, the holidays are before month end in August.

I have enough days for holidays as I work a two day week and carried over 3 days from last year. I have only taken 2 days so far this year.

So she expects me to take the 9 days holidays I have which is four and a half weeks in sept oct nov and dec?

I know it was stupid of me to book before I got the ok. I know it is her final decision on who gets holidays and who doesnt.. I just find it soooo unfair and frustrating..

I never let them down. I am never sick, my work is always done and I have a clean record.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't think you were stupid at all tbh. If I hand in notice for holidays I'll assume it's all good to go if nothing is said within a day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Denimgirl

ring in sick and get a doctors note thats what i'd do sh*g that!,it sounds like your boss is very spiteful you only work 2 days a week for God sake!AND you have cover for the 4 days that you'll be off.

Denimgirl wrote: »
    ring in sick and get a doctors note thats what i'd do sh*g that!,it sounds like your boss is very spiteful you only work 2 days a week for God sake!AND you have cover for the 4 days that you'll be off.

Oh great, so then the taxpayer has to pay the social welfare payments.

Oh great, so then the taxpayer has to pay the social welfare payments.
    what social welfare payments?!?! i did'nt say claim sick benefit!!! i said call in sick!

Depends on the company. They might automatically get the social welfare payments.

Either way, it's very unprofessional and hopefully they will clamp down on doctors handing out day passes like this.

Depends on the company. They might automatically get the social welfare payments.

Either way, it's very unprofessional and hopefully they will clamp down on doctors handing out day passes like this.
    i've never heard of the social welfare automatically giving anything out!? it can be a lengthy process for people to get what their dole as it is!!thats what i would do anyway if i were her as it's seems to be just out of spite they are saying no to her.

• Advertisement

Can my boss do anything if I have a sick note and go on holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

No you are perfectly entitled to go on holidays while on sick leave.

If you looked for holidays and they were denied and then you called in sick , your employer would take a very dim view of this, you can be sure that there would be repercussions later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Denimgirl wrote: »

Your advice is terrible and is leaving her open to possibly getting the sack .

It would be bloody obvious if you had holidays turned down to then be out sick on those days you had requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

You say that your colleague would be glad of the extra hours.
    Does that mean the the company has to pay him/her extra to cover your holidays and if so that may be what the problem with that scenario is. Does someone usually get paid extra to cover you on leave or do they usually just do without the cover?

Given that it took your boss so long to respond i would try and sit down and have a reasonable conversation. Explain that you realise you should have double checked but that you assumed a non response meant it was okay. Given that holidays have been booked i'm sure something could be worked out for this time around.

BC wrote: »
    You say that your colleague would be glad of the extra hours.
    Does that mean the the company has to pay him/her extra to cover your holidays and if so that may be what the problem with that scenario is. Does someone usually get paid extra to cover you on leave or do they usually just do without the cover?

Given that it took your boss so long to respond i would try and sit down and have a reasonable conversation. Explain that you realise you should have double checked but that you assumed a non response meant it was okay. Given that holidays have been booked i'm sure something could be worked out for this time around.

It is irrelevant that my colleague gets paid extra to do my job, as she would have to be paid at any other time of the year when she has to cover for me,
    It would actually make more sense for her to cover me when it is busy as the revenue would be in to cover the holidays and not when its quiet and the revenue is not there.

Although it is peak season, my job is still the same.

She came back to me last week asking me to confirm my holidays again, and I told her that I had already booked my two week holiday in August, she said that she had not given permission for this and that I she thought i had made alternative arrangements.

I told her that seeing as I will be losing over a €1000, that I would not be able to afford another holiday this year and that I didnt need leave,

She came back to tell me that I was entitled to one week leave and that I would be paid for it. So I picked the last week in August. THis was all done by email. My boss is not in the same site as me. I would only meet her once a year.

She has already been a bítch to me about holidays in the past,

At christmas time I was with my family in Wexford, she required me to work on a day that I was not normaly rostered for work. The weather was horrendous and a lady had been killed in a road traffic accident the day before I was due into work. I text her and asked her permission to have the day off work that I had organised cover that I was in Wexford and the weather was terrible.
    She text me back saying we would all like the time off work but I was required to work.
    So I left wexford at 6am and drove to Meath in torrential rain fall. She rang to check I was in work at 9.15am. I emailed her when I had all my work done at 3pm to ask if I could go home early and said no that I had to work a full day.

I had to stay there till 5.30 and drive back down to Wexford. I actually cried the whole way down. COuldnt believe how badly I had been treated.

It wont be happening again!

reprazant wrote: »
    Your advice is terrible and is leaving her open to possibly getting the sack .

It would be bloody obvious if you had holidays turned down to then be out sick on those days you had requested.
    I know it maybe not something that people put on a public forums but come off it! it's somethng that would go through anybodys mind after spending over a grand on a holiday for 2 weeks and having someone saying NO just because she can,does'nt seem to be any other reason why!she only works 2 days a week FGS!so what what most people do cancel their holiday and be a good citizen!It sounds like a terrible company to work for and I would be looking for part time work anywhere to get out of there Tescos anywhere!

Advertisement