Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooting in Helsinki

• 24-05-2010 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Been experiencing a bit of 'blah' when it comes to my photos recently... not liking stuff I manage to get in general, but I am heading to Helsinki next week for a conference and I get 3 days to myself over there, and would really like to spend some time working on my seascapes/ landscapes...

Basically, does anyone have any experience of Helsinki, either in general (:cool:) or for interesting plaecs to photograph?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Down by the port is nice. You have the tramlines down there as well so it makes for intersting stuff. There are lots of old nice architectural tyoe buikldings down by the port as well.

Will you be renting a car? If so then it's worth a trip up to Nuuksio where there are loads of lakes and forests. It's only about an hour or less north west of Helsinki. You should get off the motorway (if you have a sat nav its simple) and drive the backroads as well as there is some lovely scenery and farmland.

Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Cheers Ballyman,

Don't think we'll be renting a car, sadly, money is tight... Thanks for the tips though, the lakes and stuff is really where i'd like to be heading...

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

I was there with work back in February, so didn't have a lot of time to get out with the camera. Plus the fact that I had very little free time during daylight and it was bloody freezing all the time!

I've a few shots here:
    Helinki pics

I really like Helsinki, but there's not a huge amount to see, a day or two is more than enough.
    The countryside/forests outside do look very photogenic, but I never really got a chance to get outside the city.
    Definitely get the ferry out to Suomenlinna (takes about 15 mins), it's an island just out in the bay with lots of cool buildings on it. Lots of the typical brightly painted wooden buildings.

Not quite Helsinki, but I'd also recommend getting the ferry accross to Tallinn for a day, the old town there is absolutely gorgeous.
    Tallinn pics

Aww, Hearvee, those shots are gorgeous, so snowy and pretty!

I had been hoping to go to Talinn if budget allows, and deffo planning on heading out to that island. We only have 1 full day there, so that'd be the day for the boat trip. We fly in early on Tuesday and leave late on Sat and I have my work thing on t he Thursda & Friday, so I reckon that should leave us enough time to have a nice wandwer without getting too bored...

Looking forward to it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

There's a good walking guide here:
    Helsinki by foot
    Should give you an idea of what's good to see, and includes Suomenlinna.

As for Tallinn, I sailed with Tallink, cost about €35 return, and took 2 hours each way. Plus a day there works out cheaper than a day hanging around Helsinki!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

The railway station is great. When I was there, I took a circular train ride to see what is what. You deffo MUST go the the white church. It is amazing place. Striking white building against blue sky is just magnificent. And take picture of the bird's egg you can see from the quays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

Like the other posters have stated the architecture in helsinki is quite nice
    or at least different; it's quite robust. Interms of things to do see etc...

The Red Church; it's a russian orthodox catherdral down by the port built
    from red brick. The interoir is really beautiful, especially in the late afternoon
    the light is fantastic.

Power Station, behind the red chuch is a big power station i think coal fired
    or at least it was. I feel it has great potential for photography, it has very
    strong lines and industrial look.

Silver Balls, near the red church/harbour there are lots of highly polished
    stainless steel spheres, about the place.

Sumolinna, a former swedish and russian forteress on an island in Helsinki
    harbour, the church also serves as a light house, there is a submarine out
    of the water and lots of other interesting a strange things going on. The
    baltic ferries pass through a gap between sumolinna and another island
    it's bearly big enough for them to get though might be worth a look.

Hotel Torni, is the 4th tallest building in Helsinki and has a bar Ateljee Bar
    with great panoramic views of the city, as do the toilets.

Kalio church, big bold industrial type of thing, can't miss it. look like some
    thing from 1984.

If you have the time there is an old style passanger ferry the JJ Runeberg
    to Porvoo, which still has many of the old wooden finnish tradional homes.
    it leaves form the port near in the middle of the market.

Wow, thanks guys...

Really looking forward to it now- thanks so much for the tips!

Zo

Advertisement