Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinchilla - hot weather

Options
  • 24-05-2010 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Just looking for some info from other chinchilla owners. I have a chinchilla only new to keeping them. Normally he sleeps sitting on all fours sometimes maybe even holding one of his front paws tucked up to his body, but in the last 2 days he has scared me a few times when I have checked on him he has been lying on his side! is this normal and how do you keep your chinchilla cool in the warm weather?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I don't have chinchillas but I know they overheat really easily. I've heard of people giving them a tile to lie on to be cool. Maybe putting a fan near the cage would be good too. You could try putting crushed ice into their water bottle (but don't freeze the whole bottle or he mightn't get enough water. And I guess they can eat things like melon and cucumber? you could give them lots of these on a saucer with ice cubes on it, and they'll cool him down and give him loads of water.

I have rabbits and I know you can put frozen water bottles into their cages or damp towels, but I don't think that'd work with chinchillas because I think you're not meant to let their fur get wet?

I'd just do a google search of "How to keep chinchillas cool" and I bet there are loads of chinchillas forums with answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

eeyore2502 wrote: »
    Just looking for some info from other chinchilla owners. I have a chinchilla only new to keeping them. Normally he sleeps sitting on all fours sometimes maybe even holding one of his front paws tucked up to his body, but in the last 2 days he has scared me a few times when I have checked on him he has been lying on his side! is this normal and how do you keep your chinchilla cool in the warm weather?

Hey eeyore, as morganafay said tiles or marble. I have two marble tiles in my Chins cage, i've 3 Chins. You can put them in the fridge over night and alternate them to keep them cool. Also you can give the cold water. Another tip would be for hours leave their sand in the fridge (overnight) even and leave it in with them all day that way they can roll in the sand or just sit in the cool container. Terecotta pots are also good for keeping them cool. If they are in a room, keep the curtain closed or keep air flowing in the room also. I am a member of a UK site that are super friendly and very helpful if you would like that link you can PM me. Also i know another site that sells Chin stuff and one is a can cozy and you freeze cheap tins and put them in it so Chins can lie up against them and they won't get wet.

HTH :)
    morganafay wrote: »
    And I guess they can eat things like melon and cucumber? you could give them lots of these on a saucer with ice cubes on it, and they'll cool him down and give him loads of water.

I know you said you don't have Chinchillas and i am not jumping down your throat BUT Chinchillas no matter the weather are not supposed to have fruit, so anyone who has Chins and read this PLEASE don't give them fruit as it causes bloat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Thanks for the info guys going to go buy a tile for him to lie on. I knew about the fruit which is a pity as it would be cool for them but if they can't have it they can't have it. Might also invest in a terracota pot also. I was thinking yesterday could I put his sand in the fridge but I was afraid to just in case I did more harm then good.

Eemia if you could pm me that link it would be great an if you had time would you mind putting up a picture or email me a picture of your cage set up, still trying to get ideas of stuff to keep him busy and active.

Only have my fella since November and still getting use to it all, big change from dogs but loving him all the same.

Thanks for the info guys going to go buy a tile for him to lie on. I knew about the fruit which is a pity as it would be cool for them but if they can't have it they can't have it. Might also invest in a terracota pot also. I was thinking yesterday could I put his sand in the fridge but I was afraid to just in case I did more harm then good.

Eemia if you could pm me that link it would be great an if you had time would you mind putting up a picture or email me a picture of your cage set up, still trying to get ideas of stuff to keep him busy and active.

Only have my fella since November and still getting use to it all, big change from dogs but loving him all the same.

You're welcome, asking questions is only way we learn and i did plenty when i got my girls first :)

This is my cage when it was first done just before xmas but things are different now, metal wheel etc in it for them, plenty of chewed wood also LOL. Before anyone points out about the screws etc i check them on daily basis to be sure they won't chew them and break their teeth.

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af306/Eemia1988/Chinchilla%20cage%20and%20accessories/DSCF2164.jpg

And this is my girls

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af306/Eemia1988/Chinchilla%20cage%20and%20accessories/Chinchillas/DSCF2161.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Ice cubes.

Dogs love them :D

Dunno about chinchillas

• Advertisement

Nice setup and cute chinchillas. I would love to get another friend for mine but would be afraid to introduce another one at this stage as he has been in the cage by himself for 7 months.

Nice setup and cute chinchillas. I would love to get another friend for mine but would be afraid to introduce another one at this stage as he has been in the cage by himself for 7 months.

TBH its hard to say if he will get along with a new one or not. My girls have bickers every now and then but no biting or tearing shreads off each other.

I got the beige back in June last year and black ones Mam at same time. I kept her female baby and she went to a new home due to agro with beige one. And just before xmas i got the white female and they went in together no bother and happy out :)

Guess i was lucky tough.

I love your beige one she is so cute, I would love a beige one but only ever seem to see the grey ones which is what I have. I would love to get him a friend but would be afraid if they didn't settle I would end up with 2 cages which I really don't have room for.

Where do you buy most of the gear for yours especially the wheel I only ever seem to be able to find the smaller wheels which are too small for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Eemia wrote: »
    I know you said you don't have Chinchillas and i am not jumping down your throat BUT Chinchillas no matter the weather are not supposed to have fruit, so anyone who has Chins and read this PLEASE don't give them fruit as it causes bloat ;)

Sorry! I said at the start that I didn't know if they could have it. That's just something they do for rabbits and guinea pigs. Ooops, sorry, I thought their diet would be similar to guinea pigs.

I love your beige one she is so cute, I would love a beige one but only ever seem to see the grey ones which is what I have. I would love to get him a friend but would be afraid if they didn't settle I would end up with 2 cages which I really don't have room for.

Where do you buy most of the gear for yours especially the wheel I only ever seem to be able to find the smaller wheels which are too small for him.

Does yours have a white belly? Then its a Standard where my girl is a black velvet as she has the colour wrapped around her belly. Yeah i was afraid the new addition wouldn't get along and then two would be in that HUGE cage but i had their old one if i needed it.

I get most of my stuff online TBH ill PM you there with link where i got my wheel, the can cozys (to keep your fella cool) and the Chinchilla site. If you join the Chin site you'll get money off the Wheel cause i got a decent amt off it seeing i asked and was a member on that site.

PM ya there now..
    morganafay wrote: »
    Sorry! I said at the start that I didn't know if they could have it. That's just something they do for rabbits and guinea pigs. Ooops, sorry, I thought their diet would be similar to guinea pigs.

Jesus don't be sorry at all, as i said i wasn't jumping down your throat :o

• Advertisement

Yeah he has a white belly. Will check the pm now. Thanks

Advertisement