Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best non - locking Trem?

• 24-05-2010 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting a guitar with a tremelo, but don't want a Floyd, Kahler, Edge pro or anything.

So what in your experiences are the best non - locking trem's out there, ie that will return to pitch. I wouldnt be doing Dime squeals, just normal bending - Rush, Floyd, some Maiden etc bit of Blues.
    Also, do I need locking tuners and what nut material is the best?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭500x

Hi Peter,

I really like the PRS trem system/Locking Machineheads.

If I'm being honest, I probably over do it a bit with the vibrato... Making some guitar noise takes the focus off my sloppy playing! It does feel stable, and generally goes back to pitch very well.

Depending on your budget, this might be an option worth checking out.

Also, it might be worth while checking if PRS put this trem system on the 'SE' models, which tend to be cheaper than the American made guitars. They are excellent instruments... IMHO.

Best wishes,

Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

500x wrote: »
    Also, it might be worth while checking if PRS put this trem system on the 'SE' models, which tend to be cheaper than the American made guitars.

The SE is only slighty cheaper than the USA PRS........by squillions.:)

The bridge on the John Petrucci Music Man sig guitar has a new design too. They are just as expensive as the PRS USA though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Ross Mc

I've heard good things about wilkinson trems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Thinking of getting a guitar with a tremelo, but don't want a Floyd, Kahler, Edge pro or anything.

So what in your experiences are the best non - locking trem's out there, ie that will return to pitch. I wouldnt be doing Dime squeals, just normal bending - Rush, Floyd, some Maiden etc bit of Blues.
    Also, do I need locking tuners and what nut material is the best?

Why don't you want a locking trem? Most of the guitarists in the bands above use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

The prs non locking is the best there is in my opinion. Ive never played another which had better tuning stability anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Dord wrote: »
    Why don't you want a locking trem? Most of the guitarists in the bands above use them.

I'd like to be able to retune to drop D, open G etc with minimum hassle. It's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I'd like to be able to retune to drop D, open G etc with minimum hassle. It's just me.

If you want to switch between regular tuning and drop D with a trem easily then get a floyd loaded guitar and put a D-Tuna on it.

While not a trem, this bridge from Hipshot will allow you to use almost any tuning at the flick of a few levers.

46.jpg

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=33

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

The Bigsby is your only man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Get one of the older locks without hex keys :) just a flip up down with finger thing...

also old kayler trem needed none of this crap :) but thats when we got the 1st edition of floyd rose's way back in 80's :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Without a doubt it has to be the PRS trem.

On mine I have it floating very high so I can bend backways and I also bent the arm up so it is up nice and high and still loads of room to go down.....

But deffinetly the best trem system I have ever used and also very comfortable mine is a 93 egIII(bolt on)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

I use an american deluxe strat - non locking trem with LSR roller nut and locking machineheads and it stays perfectly in tune for all except divebombs etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

lizzyman wrote: »
    I use an american deluxe strat - non locking trem with LSR roller nut and locking machineheads and it stays perfectly in tune for all except divebombs etc...

It may have need a quick setup , that trem is rock solid and should divebomb no problem.

Advertisement