Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huge amounts of HDD being used- is this right?

• 24-05-2010 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, quick question from someone who is just getting used to windows machines...

I have noticed my comp getting a bit slow, so decided to do a scan using windirstat to see what was used where- this is my work machine and though primarily mine, it has been used by other people in the past.

Anyway, I have found some numbers that seemunusual to me and just wanted to check them with people who might know more...

Ok, in the 'Windows' section I am apparently using 17g, spread over folders called 'winsxs' (10.3g), 'system32' (3.6g) and 'installer' (1.3g).

In <files> I have 2 pretty big files called 'pagefile.sys' (2.2g) & hyberfil.sys (2g)

Onbviously I know that some space on my HDD will be given over to the OS and program files, but tbh these numbers seem pretty high to me- are they all right? :confused:

Thanks a million,

Zo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

zoegh wrote: »
    Hey everyone, quick question from someone who is just getting used to windows machines...

I have noticed my comp getting a bit slow, so decided to do a scan using windirstat to see what was used where- this is my work machine and though primarily mine, it has been used by other people in the past.

Anyway, I have found some numbers that seemunusual to me and just wanted to check them with people who might know more...

Ok, in the 'Windows' section I am apparently using 17g, spread over folders called 'winsxs' (10.3g), 'system32' (3.6g) and 'installer' (1.3g).

In <files> I have 2 pretty big files called 'pagefile.sys' (2.2g) & hyberfil.sys (2g)

Onbviously I know that some space on my HDD will be given over to the OS and program files, but tbh these numbers seem pretty high to me- are they all right? :confused:

Thanks a million,

Zo

These are virtual memory paging swap file and hibernation. If you never hibernate, you can disbale it in Power Options, if you're short of space.

17GB does seem a lot for the windows folder. On mine its 1.88GB, for Xp Pro.

Are you just curious, or does the machine perform poorly? You could try a defrag, or maybe a re-install - but as you say this is a work machine, check with employer/IT Dept/etc first....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

is the computer running windows 7. just checked on mine and my Windows folder is 15GB, maybe vista/7 on your computer is roughly the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Vista also has a strange hard drive bug. keeps growing like a tumor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Well I tend to defrag every 2-3 months or so, and do a full scan every month, with the background scans going everyday...

I'm running Vista, and it doesn't perform that bad, I'm just looking to try and save some space, and I just copped the numbers and they seemed a bit excessive, really...

Overheal- when you say a bug, is it something i can get a patch for? Or is it just the joy of Vista?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

it appears to be just the joy of vista. its something i noticed - and there was nothing i thought i could do about it. If you download and run windirstat, it will just show up as a large chunk of unknown filespace that seems to grow as the OS gets older.

To solve the problem (and keep the machine lean) I just kept reformatting 2-3 times a year. Not really a solution, but it did keep the machine clean and lean.

I havent run any maintenance tools since installing vista retail a few months ago however - i really do need to look into that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement