Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PostFone - An Post Mobile

Options
  • 24-05-2010 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭

Another new entrant on the Vodafone network, http://www.postfone.ie/

No real offers yet, no data tarrifs...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I don't see any great offers coming, it's on the Vodafone network, not exactly the home of cheap calls.

Don't know why they didn't just start selling Vodafone in the post offices rather than start a whole new mvno. An post used to sell Vodafone/Eircell if I remember correctly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Shelbo

Another new entrant on the Vodafone network, http://www.postfone.ie/

No real offers yet, no data tarrifs...

Saw this in the post office last week - they're only offering 4 phones and a SIM so not a great offering - call & text rates are ok though compared to the big operators - they have matched Tesco Mobile on basic rates but they haven't given the double value credit offer on top ups that Tesco Mobile give so Tesco Mobile are much better value overall still.

No data tariffs yet - no doubt they will come in due course - if they want to match Tesco Mobile on that they'll have to be pretty competitive - you can use Tesco Mobile free double value credit for GPRS browing so you can browse plenty of pages for free in effect which is great or you can buy one of their data bundles - 50MB daily bundle for €0.79 or €2.99 for 350MB weekly bundle which are pretty good value compared to the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

more players in the market always welcomed from me :)

Can't read the link on my mobile. Do they get a new prefix or?

• Advertisement

082 or 090?

Lay your bets gentlemen!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Is it genuine? That website looks awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

082 or 090?

Lay your bets gentlemen!

its actually being run with 087 numbers!!

Sully wrote: »
    % Rights restricted by copyright;
    http://www.domainregistry.ie/Copyright.php
    % Do not remove this notice

domain: postfone.ie
    descr: An Post
    descr: Statutory Body
    descr: Discretionary Name
    admin-c: AKR181-IEDR
    tech-c: ENS2-IEDR
    renewal: 26-February-2011
    nserver: AUTH01.NS.EIRCOM.NET
    nserver: AUTH02.NS.EIRCOM.NET
    nserver: AUTH03.NS.EIRCOM.NET
    source: IEDR

person: John Cronin
    nic-hdl: AKR181-IEDR

person: Eircom Net System Dept.
    nic-hdl: ENS2-IEDR

would that verify it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mossie

Sully wrote: »

It is genuine. Talk and text only for now. Aimed more at older people and people who don't want their kids having internet access I think.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Shelbo

Random wrote: »
    more players in the market always welcomed from me :)

Can't read the link on my mobile. Do they get a new prefix or?

You're right - competition & lower prices always welcome especially in these times!

You get an 087 no but you can keep your own no & port it if you like.

and postfone is gonna show up on the screen of my phone or vodafone? are they completely independent of vodafone from a customer point of view?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Vodafone coverage at Tesco prices is win for me. Are SIMs actually available yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mossie

Haddockman wrote: »
    Vodafone coverage at Tesco prices is win for me. Are SIMs actually available yet?

I work for An Post so I know a little about this. SIMs are available but it's being rolled out gradually. Most main POs should have them by now smaller offices will take a while. To start there will be 300 office nationwide stocking SIMs, depending on how it goes more will follow
    Random wrote: »
    and postfone is gonna show up on the screen of my phone or vodafone? are they completely independent of vodafone from a customer point of view?

It will show postfone. It will use the vodafone network and have 087 prefix but in all other ways is totally separate. Customer services, top-ups etc will hve nothing to do with vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

30c for receiving a text while roaming (outside EU). Ouch.

Yes, it is free with every other network.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Tesco use O2 backhaul and masts but have their own infrastructure, so not just a Tesco sticker on O2 network.

I find it hard to see how this will work. Is it simply Vodafone resold (unlike Tesco)?

Ironically eircom and An Post was once P+T.

Is this venture destined to go the same way as postbank, i.e. becomes non-viable and closes down after a year to 18 months leaving its' customers to find a new provider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

Haddockman wrote: »
    Is this venture destined to go the same way as postbank, i.e. becomes non-viable and closes down after a year to 18 months leaving its' customers to find a new provider?

Or shutdown and re-appear under a different name (NIB customers use An Post branches for banking now)

• Advertisement

I am surprised they did not take their own prefix. The use of 087 will likely lead to complaints from idiots that buy vodafone credit by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GenericName

I think the core network is being managed by these guys, completely separately from Vodafone.

http://www.aspidersolutions.com/news.asp?NID=50&MID=4

I reckon it's a major blunder on An Posts part, they should have got back into bed with Eircom and offered fixed line and Eircom mobile services and brought back the p&t model.
    As the captain said it's a half arsed business but from vodafones view point it's a win even it's a failure as it insures an post can't get in bed with any other network for the next few years.
    Eircom need a major high street outlet after the collapse of 3G, an post would have been perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Have to disagree there, it suits the market they are after, who only really want a phone for calls and some texts, preimarily the older end of the market who aren't really interested in high mega pixel camera's, browsing that interweb thing on a phone and GPS.
    The model is very similiar to Tesco and that works for them.

Only bad point I can think of is the 087 prefix, that'll be a nightmare. Although there was a scheme a few years ago where you could buy a top-up voucher in the post office and it would work on any network strangely it never took off, so it's possible they have set up something similiar with Vodafone ie, the voucher will work for both Vodafone and Postfone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The use of 087 will likely lead to complaints from idiots that buy vodafone credit by mistake.

At this stage a substantial amount of 087 numbers have been ported to Meteor, Three, O2 or Tesco anyway. You can't just say give me credit for 087 any more.

As for roaming in Canada, most people do not go to Canada or the US in a year. This service is not designed for the World Traveller, but for teenagers, grannys etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I would assume that they have the facility for customers to reject incoming texts. The logic for being charged for calls is that it's your choice to accept/reject/divert so you are charged accordingly. With SMS, its received. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

They have their rates advertised, so it people choice whether or not to use the phone. TBH it's a very small point to nitpick on, if anyone is that worried about recieving texts while abroad, just leave the phone off.

• Advertisement

Advertisement