Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PostFone - An Post Mobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It's a one small point out of the whole pricing structure, how long are most Postfone customer going to spend abroad each year compared to in Ireland where they are getting cheaper calls? The money they saves on calls and text in Ireland should easily off set the money spent to recieve the texts.
    Alternatively, they could contact Postfone before going abroad and have texting disabled on their accout. Another option is someone is that worried about a couple of cent (in which case they really should be going on foreign holidays anyway), could tell all their friends and relatives to not text them while they are abroad.

At the end of the day they are doing a pretty good offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Gillo wrote: »
    They have their rates advertised, so it people choice whether or not to use the phone. TBH it's a very small point to nitpick on, if anyone is that worried about recieving texts while abroad, just leave the phone off.

That's BS of the highest order. The vast majority of people take their phones with them. Most will be aware of the charges and stick to them. Being charged for something you have no control over isn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

chrislad wrote: »
    That's BS of the highest order. The vast majority of people take their phones with them. Most will be aware of the charges and stick to them. Being charged for something you have no control over isn't right.

Yes I agree that most people would bring their phone with them although I don't that the majority will mind paying the charge you seem set on highlighting, and no I don't work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Of course you mind paying for the "You are roaming on ****" and "You can call home by ringing ****" etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think the core network is being managed by these guys, completely separately from Vodafone.

http://www.aspidersolutions.com/news.asp?NID=50&MID=4

Something like that ;)

I would be surprised if you are charged for rec texts. You can't prevent people texting you like.

I know it is clear as day on the website but it is too retarded for me to accept as being the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I would be surprised if you are charged for rec texts. You can't prevent people texting you like.

I know it is clear as day on the website but it is too retarded for me to accept as being the case.

It's standard practise in America afaik. For example: http://gthing.net/the-true-price-of-sms-messages

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    It's standard practise in America afaik. For example: http://gthing.net/the-true-price-of-sms-messages

Jaysus thats crazy, i send about 1500 texts (even more sometimes) a month, so if i receive a text for every text i send it would cost me $600 a month! Thank god for PAYG unlimited texts in Ireland! €20 well spent!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jwcurtin wrote: »
    Jaysus thats crazy, i send about 1500 texts (even more sometimes) a month, so if i receive a text for every text i send it would cost me $600 a month! Thank god for PAYG unlimited texts in Ireland! €20 well spent!;)

Well the US does similar to us, like you are charged $1 a day for the first text, and free after that etc

• Advertisement

jwcurtin wrote: »

Oh I know. Thankfully, most of the practises over that side of the ocean weren't ever implemented over here. I like to think that those sort of practises are the reason that Europe's mobile networks developed at a far quicker rate than they did over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The whole pay for all calls received is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Oh I know. Thankfully, most of the practises over that side of the ocean weren't ever implemented over here. I like to think that those sort of practises are the reason that Europe's mobile networks developed at a far quicker rate than they did over there.

Its a condition of comreg and the EU that you receive texts for free while roaming in the EU. Sadly they cant control external EU roaming

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Just been looking at www.postfone.ie
    It seems to be expensive compared to other networks, not even competing imo

I just switched to Postfone. I am delighted to have Vodafone coverage at Tesco prices.
    Better than those crazy O2 charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Haddockman wrote: »
    I just switched to Postfone. I am delighted to have Vodafone coverage at Tesco prices.

except you dont get double the credit that you do with tesco mobile

The "double" credit on Tesco is only valid for 30 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

The "double" credit on Tesco is only valid for 30 days.

yes i know that, but when making calls the double "bonus" credit gets used up first out of interest, what does it say on the screen of the fone for the network name?

It says Postfone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can you get onto the interweb?

I'm currently paying 4.8 cent a minute with a free gig of data, they'd want to get a lot cheaper before I'll be making the switch..

• Advertisement

Can you get onto the interweb?
    No. Postfone don't do internets. ;) But I never use WAP and other such stuff so it suits me fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭d1975

No. Postfone don't do internets. ;) But I never use WAP and other such stuff so it suits me fine.

and they don't do premium txt even if you texting the radio stations ie 53104 or 53981 etc...

Nope. Great really. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The website says there is a minimum charge per call, but does not state what it is.
    Anyone know how much it is ?

edit; I saw it, just didn't understand it at first; "Prices are subject to a minimum call charge of the per minute rate, except where stated otherwise".
    So that's 20c really, or 40c per minute for a 30 second call.
    Maybe not so good after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Yeah but the rate would be 40c per minute for 30 sec calls.
    So 2x 30 sec calls = 40c
    3x 20 sec calls = 60c

After 1 minute, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if they carried on the same trick.

It is 20 cent for the first minute or part of and then it is per second after the first minute. So if you make a lot of short calls you will be charged the minimum charge of 20 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Nope. Great really. ;)

By the sounds of this, you don't need a phone at all :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Honda08 wrote: »
    its actually being run with 087 numbers!!

Can anyone confirm this that they use 087 i taught they were using a prefix like 084 or something??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's 100% 087, The name should have told you that.;) VodaPostFone

Advertisement