Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Blocking Illegal Downloading.

Options
  • 24-05-2010 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

I know there's so much different opinions on this but i'm not looking for any and I'm not giving mine either.

My Question is How Will they know you're downloading illegally? Ok they can see how much your downloading. How do they know it's illegall content?

Just looking for the technicality behind it.

If you change your ip, they won't be able to see what you're downloading?

Thanks,
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Joebits wrote: »
    My Question is How Will they know you're downloading illegally? Ok they can see how much your downloading. How do they know it's illegall content?
    IP and perhaps deep packet inspection.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_packet_inspection
    If you change your ip, they won't be able to see what you're downloading?
    No. This would be done with the connivance of the ISP so they would have a record of the IP assigned to you and when it was assigned and dropped.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

As far as I know they're not going to be blocking anything pro-actively
    They're meant to be acting on reports they receive from IRMA ...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mr.spids

their blocking piratebay(dot)org but I just use vidallia and firepoxy lets me in just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

mr.spids wrote: »
    their blocking piratebay(dot)org but I just use vidallia and firepoxy lets me in just fine

Yes - from what I recall PirateBay was singled out by IRMA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

As far as I know they are only blocking the domain name service for pirate bay, set your DNS to 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220 (opendns.org) and you can still access it. careful tough, they're on the hunt. I reccomend changing your ISP. That'll teach em.
    You could also have a look at peerblock.com although I'm not sure how effective this would be in the face of ISP collaboration.

• Advertisement

how do you change your isp?cheers lad from galway myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

how do you change your isp?cheers lad from galway myself

Your Internet Service Provider. So move from Eircom to UTV for example

thanks mate wony be doin that anyway

Advertisement