Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 55-250 IS

• 24-05-2010 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

The above lens is now available in Eire for less than €200!
    What I really want is the Canon 70-300 IS but can't afford the €499 price (and won't be able to afford it for a while yet!)
    Is the 55-250 worth a punt at that money? it gets very mixed reviews.
    I'm currently using a Tamron 70-300 as my long lens and tbh its not a great lens. Heading over to Biggin hill airshow at the end of June and would hate to come back with a load of crappy photos just because of the lens!

Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Andrew33 wrote: »
    The above lens is now available in Eire for less than €200!
    What I really want is the Canon 70-300 IS but can't afford the €499 price (and won't be able to afford it for a while yet!)
    Is the 55-250 worth a punt at that money? it gets very mixed reviews.
    I'm currently using a Tamron 70-300 as my long lens and tbh its not a great lens. Heading over to Biggin hill airshow at the end of June and would hate to come back with a load of crappy photos just because of the lens!

Thanks for any feedback.

I had (and sold) a canon 55-250. I've no experience of the Tamron 70-300 but can't imagine there will be that much between them in terms of image quality. Have a look at the comparison reviews that can be found on dpreview.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I have the 55 - 250 IS and its my favourite lens. Its fairly quick and very sharp. My 55-250 goes everywhere with me. Spoke to a guy from Canon U.K. and he felt optically it was an excellent lens If you can get it for less or around €200 get it now, you wont be disappointed.
    The only flaw is it feels a little flimsey but like anything else thats not a problem if you mind your kit.

I think you will be wasting your time bringing the Tamron to Biggin Hill it wont be up to it. I used mine at a G.A.A match a few weeks ago and it drove me mad. Its ok for static shots but thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I bought it a few weeks ago on pixmania for 230e. Where is it available for less? I checked Gunns, Hall, Conns, Camer Centre, PC World, Curry's, Harvey Norman etc... Before buying. Then they go up the price.

Nice enough lens for the price and I checked all the reviews and comparisons with Tamron & Sigma equivalent before buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

NothingMan wrote: »
    I bought it a few weeks ago on pixmania for 230e. Where is it available for less? I checked Gunns, Hall, Conns, Camer Centre, PC World, Curry's, Harvey Norman etc... Before buying. Then they go up the price.

Nice enough lens for the price and I checked all the reviews and comparisons with Tamron & Sigma equivalent before buying.

Its on simplyelectronics for €195.95 with free delivery. And its on amazon too but difficult to get stuff delivered from them!

LeoB wrote: »
    I have the 55 - 250 IS and its my favourite lens. Its fairly quick and very sharp. My 55-250 goes everywhere with me. Spoke to a guy from Canon U.K. and he felt optically it was an excellent lens If you can get it for less or around €200 get it now, you wont be disappointed.
    The only flaw is it feels a little flimsey but like anything else thats not a problem if you mind your kit.

I think you will be wasting your time bringing the Tamron to Biggin Hill it wont be up to it. I used mine at a G.A.A match a few weeks ago and it drove me mad. Its ok for static shots but thats it.

Thanks for the info, most helpful, Think I'll go and order it now!

• Advertisement

Its on simplyelectronics for €195.95 with free delivery. And its on amazon too but difficult to get stuff delivered from them!

Ah I see. Simplyelectronics have gotten slanderous reviews here and elsewhere. I wouldn't risk it. Glad I used Pixmania and spent the extra 35e.

Ah I see. Simplyelectronics have gotten slanderous reviews here and elsewhere. I wouldn't risk it. Glad I used Pixmania and spent the extra 35e.

Were the bad reviews about their customer care?

I would just imagine buying a Canon, Nikon or any other big brand product is pretty safe no matter where you buy it?

LeoB wrote: »
    Were the bad reviews about their customer care?

I would imagine if you buy a Canon Nikon or main brand product you are pretty safe.?

Check this thread and see what you think. Very mixed reviews.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/camcorders-video-editing/739921-simply-electronics.html

If you were that bothered about buying online, Gunn's have the lens for €240.

• Advertisement

If you were that bothered about buying online, Gunn's have the lens for €240.

I buy most things online, including my camera and this lens. Just heard bad things about simpleelectronics.

I buy most things online, including my camera and this lens. Just heard bad things about simpleelectronics.

I just put Pixmania into the search box on boards, you think simplyelectronics have a bad rep?:eek::eek::eek:
    I think I'll spend the extra tenner and buy in Gunn's!

I just put Pixmania into the search box on boards, you think simplyelectronics have a bad rep?:eek::eek::eek:
    I think I'll spend the extra tenner and buy in Gunn's!

If I had have known it was only a tenner more in a shop here i'd buy it there too. The internet is only good when you're savings outweigh the risk.

Haven't heard anything bad about pixmania, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. But I got my lens in 3 days and it works perfectly. Even registered the warranty with Canon with no problems.

Advertisement