Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MTB Accessories... What do I need?

• 24-05-2010 2:01pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I’m getting back into mountain biking after nearly a 10 year break. I think I've finally chosen a bike, the Giant Trance X3 - its way more than I thought I wanted to spend, but I think it’s better to get the right bike first time, and not having to upgrade and waste more money in a few months etc.

So, now I have the bike, I need to also get all the other little bits that I’m going to need. It’s been so long I forget what I need and what’s good. I’d appreciate some advice and recommendations if you would please  Any great deals people know about please let me know, I’m way above budget already!

Pedals: I just want basic flats. One of my mates recommended I spend €50 but do I really need to? What is the difference between ones that cost €50 and ones many times that?

Shoes: My mate says to get some FiveTen’s – says they have a special firm sole and sticky grips that are brilliant for mtb. Are they good, are they necessary?

Helmet: Realistically how much should I spend? Any recommendations for ones that don’t cost crazy money but give good protection etc?

Pads: I found these and these – seem like good value.

Apart from these obvious ones, what else do i realistically need to buy? What are the best sites to get good deals?

Any advice please shout!
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Helmets - they all provide the same level of protection (more or less) - just get something that's comfortable and that you like the look of.

Get a good pair of gloves, or two - will protect your hands while riding or crashing.

Trail essentials - multi-tool, chain breaker, pump, spare tubes x2, tyre levers

Either a couple of bottles and cages or a hydration pack of some kind

Few pairs of padded shorts (you can wear baggies on top if you like).

If you're getting flat pedals make sure they're good and grippy, ideally with replacable pins: like this not this. 5-10s are worth the money if you're going to stick with flats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

long finger gloves - gorse is great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

Essential to have a couple of these in your bag imo, (they work with both shimano and sram chains) http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=871

Pedals: You say you've done some mountain biking before. If you feel comfortable enough on your bike already maybe think about going with spd's instead of flats? They can be quite useful for lifting the bike over obstacles and keeping you connected on jumps while also allowing you to put down a smoother amount of power(very important on slippery technical climbs) are are also more efficient. Something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4516 might be an idea rather than full on spd's, the cage gives you leeway to miss the spd and still have good grip until you can get to an easy place to clip in.

If you decide not to go with clipless then I've heard nothing but good things about 5.10's and most people seem to think they're the only option for flat shoes.

Helmet: As said above most of the time a helmet is a helmet, but there are some bike helmets which have more protection at the back of the head in case you fall backwards. Not a very common way to fall and unless your planning on doing very technical stuff then probably not worth the extra cost.

Forearm Pads: I've never seen any one wearing elbow pads on anything other than a downhill course. I've had quite a few offs that have scratched up my forarms but it would have to be a huge crash to break anything. If you were to get them it would probably be for scratch and scrape protection not break protection so you have to consider that against the extra weight and sweatiness they come with.

Knee Pads: are a lot more common and to my mind it's a lot easier to damage your knee than your forearms. Personally I dont wear them but I've been considering getting some for a while.

Hydration: Personally I'd say go for a camelbak http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30751 but they're quite expensive (don't try and get a cheap knock off, they're no where near sturdy enough and just fall apart on the trail). If you decide to stick with a bottle make sure you get one with a cover on it http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24135 as the lid quickly picks up mud and dirt. If you do go with a bottle be aware that your probably going to have to carry a bag anyway for your tubes and pump etc as a saddlebag generally won't stand up to the shaking and knocking it's going to take on irish trails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

zil wrote: »
    a saddlebag generally won't stand up to the shaking and knocking it's going to take on irish trails.

Haven't noticed that to be a problem. Strap the pump to the frame and use a well secured saddle bag. I hate cycling with a bag on my back, leisure cycling anyway. Also handy to put phone/keys/tools into a saddle bag. Not good to come off the bike onto such things if they are in a pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I only use Five Ten's these days (tried SPD and SPD-SL pedals and am back to using flats now)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 aibhne

if you opt for the camelbak, the great outdoors outlet(downstairs in the shop) has a sale on the platypus(same idea just a differnet brand)ranging from between €10-€20 a good deal in my opinion

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks I'll definitely look into the FiveTen's - I used to have a set of the original Shimano DX - the first ever 'Downhill SPDs' and did not like them that much. If Five tens are even almost as good then I'm sold. They are going to be a lot cheaper overall cause with SPD's you need to buy the shoes and the pedals, plus they are pretty much normal runners whereas a lot of spd shoes look like ski boots and walking around with cleats can be annoying

Anyone know the best place to buy then either in Ireland or online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

www.chainreactioncycles.com
    www.wiggle.co.uk

I'd use them 2 for most stuff. Both free delivery.
    Chain reaction have Fiveten's anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 aibhne

your best bet is probably chain reaction, id buy shoes in my lbs for sizing reasons but dont know any where selling fivetens.
    OCtuning might be worth a try also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Zascar wrote: »
    If Five tens are even almost as good then I'm sold. They are going to be a lot cheaper overall cause with SPD's you need to buy the shoes and the pedals

You realise you still need to use pedals with the Five Tens? They're not much use on their own... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hahah yes of coruse, I just ordered a nice pair of flats from crc along with some other bits.

Does anyone know can you buy FiveTen's in Ireland? I want to see the styles and make sure that they fit right etc

Also, do people use mudguards etc or are they just a waste of time?

Advertisement