Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice places for a picnic!

Options
  • 24-05-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

With the weather being so lovely, I have been trying to come up with a list of places to go for a old fashioned picnic with some friends.

Trying to avoid the obvious places in the city along the canals, the Spanish Arch, Salthill and even Silver Strand/Barna and Renville.

Been to Menlo, down by the Castle already, and haven't got a boat handy to go up river right now.

Would love if people could suggest some nice spots that would be suitable.

Ta muchly, there *may be* be a hang sangwich and a tin of warm lilt for the loveliest suggestion :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Half way between Spiddal and Inverin there is a lovely secluded beach called Tra Salín. It is a rough and ready type of beach with dunes and rockpools and lapping waves. I love the place.

Also nearby are the wind turbines, you take a right on the way to inverin, they are up on the hill, and the swoosh-swoosh of the blades coupled with the beautiful connemara coastline make them a really bizzare and special place.
    Very Sci-fi which I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

The hill of doon in oughterard is a lovely spot and you could camp there too if you wanted I think there may be pics up if you goolge"hill of doon"

go into oughterard turn right at boat inn and keep going about 5 miles till you cant go any further it really is a beautifull spot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's been years since I've been but Coole Park near Gort is really nice in this weather.

They have swings and slides there too, which is always a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Great suggestions, had thought about the Hill of Doon and Coole as well, might try Inverin as I don't think I have been there. More suggestions welcome, makes for an interesting thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Tawin Island is lovely and quiet and handy access from Clarinbridge

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Is it just me or did you not used to be LadyPsomething something?

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Is it just me or did you not used to be LadyPsomething something?

That would be a correct observation Bob-Harris. LadyPennyworth is on sabbatical.
    Great advice from everyone, think I'll head to Inverin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Roundstone is always a top choice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

There's a lovely spot out that way called something like 'the coral beach', not sure exactly where it is, only got taken there once, might be between Inverin and Roundstone. Fantastic blue water there.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    There's a lovely spot out that way called something like 'the coral beach', not sure exactly where it is, only got taken there once, might be between Inverin and Roundstone. Fantastic blue water there.

Coral Strand?

It would do for a picnic alright :pac:

114893.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Inchagoill. But bring your flippin' rubbish back home with you!

www.corribcruises.com will get you there (and home too if you ask nicely)

Oh, did I mention to please bring your rubbish back home with you? :)

Chances are you'll see me out there, say hello :pac:

Leave nothing but footprints and take nothing but photos...always been a motto with me JohnCleary so no need to worry. Thanks!

How long to Coral Beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

How long to Coral Beach?

Maybe and hour and a quarter. If you're venturing that far, Dog's Bay/Cleggan are much nicer than the Coral beach. If you're in that part of the country Omey Island would be a great place for a picnic too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Aren't all the places suggested without the city boundary?
    Co.Galway forum

snubbleste wrote: »
    Aren't all the places suggested without the city boundary?
    Co.Galway forum

Rabble rabble rabble.

There was no mention of suggestions having to be within the city.

Indeed. Anywhere in the city or outskirts is also welcome (somewhere like menlo for example) as not want to spend my day stuck in a car

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

It might be a bit far out but what about one of the Aran Islands or InisBoffin? Bit of a drive to the ferry point, but after that plenty of outside-ness:) Personally I just discovered InisBoffin there and I would love to go. Don't have a car though and I can't find a proper bus connection:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Dutchess wrote: »
    It might be a bit far out but what about one of the Aran Islands or InisBoffin? Bit of a drive to the ferry point, but after that plenty of outside-ness:) Personally I just discovered InisBoffin there and I would love to go. Don't have a car though and I can't find a proper bus connection:(

Citylink took over the Michael Nee coach service to Cleggan, that should do it for ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭LowOdour

the connemara national park in letterfrack. There is a seating area with slides etc for kids to play. Very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

inisboffin wrote: »
    Citylink took over the Michael Nee coach service to Cleggan, that should do it for ya :)

looked them up and they do indeed, cheers!

would you know of any package deals that include a bus ticket and ferry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Dutchess wrote: »
    looked them up and they do indeed, cheers!

would you know of any package deals that include a bus ticket and ferry?

Fairly sure you need to do it separately, not much diff. Try ringing the ferry cos though.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Renville in Oranmore- a nice short drive away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

bonzodog2 wrote: »

The Coral beach is amazing!!!!!!!!!! Its through Cararoe and turn left at the Fork, there ARE signposts for it so watch out.

I was there during the 'heat wave' and overheard some Australian woman, her son and hub giving out stink cause they weren't told about it and there weren't signs advertising it....'Shopping centres are the same world over, do they not want us to come here?? Not very hospitable are they? LOL!! Can we not keep something for ourselves???

Ha that's funny. Ended up going to the hill of doon..take the Glann Road which is a right turn in Oughterard and follow the road 11km..it will seem never ending trust me! Youll come to a small car park at the VERY end of the road and from there keep walking into the cul de sac, over a wooden stile, and just a little on from that you'll come across a beautiful spot for a picnic by the waterside. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Ha that's funny. Ended up going to the hill of doon..take the Glann Road which is a right turn in Oughterard and follow the road 11km..it will seem never ending trust me! Youll come to a small car park at the VERY end of the road and from there keep walking into the cul de sac, over a wooden stile, and just a little on from that you'll come across a beautiful spot for a picnic by the waterside. Highly recommended.

Ah yes, under the trees. Amazing place in general around the Hill of Doon when the sun is shining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 FredsMom

hey!

Myself and my fiance are two years together this week and I want toorganize a picnic treasure hunt (I leave little notes everywhere when he gets home to come and find me where I will be waiting with all his fave foods and stuff for a romantic picnic watching the sunset.) does anyone know any good spots around galway for this picnic. We live near athenry so anywhere within a 20km radius..somewhere with a nice view is what I am hoping for!! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

If only there were an entire forum dedicated to Galway

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

I love the little place next to a river up past menlo... Ill do a map because i dunno the actual name of it

Ok so

B: Is a pier, you can park the car up.. but its more north facing
    C: Is the castle which you see opposite corrib village on the opposite side of the river. I've taken herself there a few times, its gorgeous, but you've to park the car a good bit away and walk over a field. Its innocent so i cant imagine anyone minds.

• Advertisement

I had a thread a few weeks back asking the same (well just for picnic spots!). Got some really great ideas. Cant pull it up at the moment as Im on the mobile but maybe if you search. Hill of doon was beautiful and remote.

Advertisement