Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harrassment in Photography forums

Options
  • 24-05-2010 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66039752&postcount=13

I got a temp ban, for the second time, for little or no reason other than standing up for myself. One particular mod [Cailin] in there has been on my case every post I make, even when it's a perfectly harmless, on topic post.

I have been called 'arrogant' twice in one thread for giving advice to another member. The Moderators 'Cailin' and [Caban Sail] tell me to 'cool it' and warn me for no reason, even after I explain myself Cailin decides to ban me.

This is harrassment. I didn't think this type of behavious was condoned on boards.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

FWIW,
    A Canon 50D ... and you have it in Auto/semi auto modes? .

does sound snotty. to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

tbh wrote: »
    FWIW,

Banable though?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

To be fair to Thecageyone, I believe that had their post been just that then it would have seen a little "snotty" but as there was a second line to the post which offered a little advise then I could hardly think that they were being arrogant.

I have a 40D and was glad when people pointed out the 'mistake' of always using the auto feature.

I wouldn't have banned for that alone, but neither did the phot. mods in fairness. they didn't even infract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Are two threads necessary for this though?

You have a specific complaint rather than general site feedback so I would stick to the one in helpdesk and follow the dispute resolution procedure of contacting the Mod ---> CMod ---> Helpdesk/Admin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You created a thread in helpdesk, why are you attempting to affectively **** stir by creating this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

To be fair the OP was looking for C&C on his photos and you went off on another tangent altogether. You may have been well intentioned and I am sure you were.

CabanSail pointed this out to you in his post and instead of heeding it you went off into a rant. You got some advice from one of the forum mods. You reacted agressively and was told to cool down.

I don't see an infraction I don't see a banning. Learn from it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Cabaal wrote: »
    You created a thread in helpdesk, why are you attempting to affectively **** stir by creating this thread?

I think they were majorly over the top banning me. If the first posts seemed a little arrogant, I made it clear I wasn't being so in the follow up. I was banned for re-itterating this in a new topic made by the Mod [Cailin] in which she made refernce [heavily] to my posts. I again offered up that I did nothing wrong, wasn't being arrogant and felt I was being targetted.

I've sent a message to the overall board admins too on this. I feel it needs attention, this is terrible IMHO.

Just to again, explain - I was not trying to be arogant in response to the thread starter - I just gave a brief, quick response. The kind of advice I received when I took photography up to begin with [only last year seriously] and I was glad of it.

I'm not stirring anything, I want explanations and input. I feel genuinely bullied in this case. I have never had to make these threads before and wasn't sure where best to put it.

deadtiger wrote: »
    To be fair the OP was looking for C&C on his photos and you went off on another tangent altogether. You may have been well intentioned and I am sure you were.

CabanSail pointed this out to you in his post and instead of heeding it you went off into a rant. You got some advice from one of the forum mods. You reacted agressively and was told to cool down.

I don't see an infraction I don't see a banning. Learn from it and move on.

That would be all fine, only I am banned for 14 days from that section. They didn't warn me, just banned me and sent me a pm.

I think they were majorly over the top banning me. If the first posts seemed a little arrogant, I made it clear I wasn't being so in the follow up. I was banned for re-itterating this in a new topic made by the Mod [Cailin] in which she made refernce [heavily] to my posts. I again offered up that I did nothing wrong, wasn't being arrogant and felt I was being targetted.

I've sent a message to the overall board admins too on this. I feel it needs attention, this is terrible IMHO.

Just to again, explain - I was not trying to be arogant in response to the thread starter - I just gave a brief, quick response. The kind of advice I received when I took photography up to begin with [only last year seriously] and I was glad of it.

I'm not stirring anything, I want explanations and input. I feel genuinely bullied in this case. I have never had to make these threads before and wasn't sure where best to put it.

again, fwiw - when the mod told you to cool it, the proper response was "my bad - sorry".

• Advertisement

FWIW,

I did explain in my follow up post that i wasn't being arrogant/snotty. If I was initially, I'd have stuck by it. I was genuinely offering the best advice I could see for the OP - A simple - Get that great camera out of Auto! - pretty much. And I did say I liked the images. I should have said that in the initial posts, it was an on the fly post tbh, but intentions were good.

I did explain in my follow up post that i wasn't being arrogant/snotty. If I was initially, I'd have stuck by it. I was genuinely offering the best advice I could see for the OP - A simple - Get that great camera out of Auto! - pretty much. And I did say I liked the images. I should have said that in the initial posts, it was an on the fly post tbh, but intentions were good.

totally accept that, but like I say, it did come across as snotty, intentional or not. And it wasn't just one post where you were arguing, it was several. Like I said - next time "my bad - sorry" would be my advice.

again, fwiw - when the mod told you to cool it, the proper response was "my bad - sorry".

If you do something wrong yeah? I was told to col it for no good reason. I mean, no offence, but mods are just members too - they have a job to do and that's fine. I respect that. but this was a bit - Do what you're told or I'll spank you! :D Only this kid hadn't been cheeky to begin with!

totally accept that, but like I say, it did come across as snotty, intentional or not. And it wasn't just one post where you were arguing, it was several. Like I said - next time "my bad - sorry" would be my advice.

I don't think i should apologise for actually offering advice. After explaining that was my intention I was again labeled as 'arrogant' - if anything, they should have accepted my explanation. They were way over the top jumping all over a simple post to begin with no?

Seems my first posts could be taken either way, but that doesn't really matter. If originally I had just meant to be arrogant, what of it? The thread asked for opinions: But, I wasn't and even explained, though that shouldn't have been necessary.

This isn't the first time the same Mod came after me for very little. I feel it's personal. I have no real idea why.

That would be all fine, only I am banned for 14 days from that section. They didn't warn me, just banned me and sent me a pm.

Just looked at your post about this on the Helpdesk as well. I see that you have "previous" banning form from sending a PM insulting someone. That would be taken into account especially as you are opening querying moderators advice in a thread. You should have taken any problems you had to PM with the mods in question rather than de-rail the thread with them.

Cabaal wrote: »

This sites confuses me a little, :o have you the link and i'll take down that one?

Just looked at your post about this on the Helpdesk as well. I see that you have "previous" banning form from sending a PM insulting someone. That would be taken into account especially as you are opening querying moderators advice in a thread. You should have taken any problems you had to PM with the mods in question rather than de-rail the thread with them.

I did pm the Mods. And I pm'd the board Admins. Though i am not sure when I'll get a response. The previous temp ban was for something very similar. I took an argument on the orum to pm as it was getting messy, I was not the only one involved at the time. I did call someone a 'tool' via pm, and have since apoloised for it. But in the same instance I was openly called a prick on the forum. Nothing was done about that, the comment was simply removed by the mods, and I was banned for my comment in the pm.

I don't think i should apologise for actually offering advice. After explaining that was my intention I was again labeled as 'arrogant' - if anything, they should have accepted my explanation. They were way over the top jumping all over a simple post to begin with no?

You are totally ignoring the fact they C&C threads about about commenting on the photos themselves. If you have put in the comment about use of the Auto mode as an aside it wouldn't have been ok but not by itself.
    Seems my first posts could be taken either way, but that doesn't really matter. If originally I had just meant to be arrogant, what of it? The thread asked for opinions: But, I wasn't and even explained, though that shouldn't have been necessary.

This isn't the first time the same Mod came after me for very little. I feel it's personal. I have no real idea why.

I feel you are the one taking it personally not the mods. They can just make decisions on what you write now and what you have written in the past including pm's to users insulting them.

I did pm the Mods. And I pm'd the board Admins. Though i am not sure when I'll get a response. The previous temp ban was for something very similar.

Was that before or after the post that you linked to at the start of this thread?

If it was before fair enough I stand corrected you did try and engage with them.

If it was after then it was too late you had already question their moderating and de-railed the thread.

Was that before or after the post that you linked to at the start of this thread?

If it was before fair enough I stand corrected you did try and engage with them.

If it was after then it was too late you had already question their moderating and de-railed the thread.

I got no pm or warning before the ban, just a pm afterward stating I was banned. This was after I'd explained I was not being arrogant in any way. I've given loads of advice in that section to new members who asked for it. It's usually been welcomed. I'm not in there to stir anything. I really don't see how telling someone to make use of the camera's best functions/controls equates to arrogance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

This sites confuses me a little, :o have you the link and i'll take down that one?

The Helpdesk thread is the right place to talk about this, you cannot delete threads so PM the mods of this forum and they will close this thread when they get to it
    I did pm the Mods. And I pm'd the board Admins. Though i am not sure when I'll get a response.

I would give them 24 - 48 hours to get back to you before not worrying about getting a reply, the admins have a lot to do and it might take them a while to get back to you

OK, I feel a little dumb as i can't find helpdesk :D I only had photography bookmarked as that's the only place I really visit.

What happened was I posted a thread up, then after leaving boards for other stuff I returned but couldn't find the thread I made. So i put one in here too.

[edit] found Helpdesk and have postsed up for the Admin.

Thanks, I see it's a section where the posts need to be checked before posting by an Admin. It's worth putting it in here than also, as you get a wider view on it.

This could happen to anyone, but it's happened to me. I like to see what other members think on it too, as well as the Admins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Closing this thread as it is being dealt with on the helpdesk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement