Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog training opinions

Options
  • 24-05-2010 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I've been considering doing a dog training course for a few years and I finally have the time now. I mainly want to do it because it's interesting, but, if I was good enough, I'd like to be able to supplement my income.

I was hoping to get opinions on the dog training Ireland FETAC course. http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/_people_training.php has anybody had any experience with the course?

I do know that experience is what most people would look for first and foremost, so I'd probably end up spending a LOT of time doing free lessons etc but besides the experience needed, if you were thinking of hiring a trainer, what type of qualifications would you look for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'd look for some kind of qualification, but more important would be a recommendation, from someone else or a vet or shelter or the like.
    You could offer you services to one of these, helping train dogs for re-homing, that would help get the word out.
    Also important would be a love of dogs and friendly personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yes I would have to do a long while of practise classes & one-on-ones and I do volunteer with various shelters so I could incorporate anything I learn into that to build up experience, confidence and knowledge.

I'm a bit worried about spending money on it, I am working only part time and getting married in a few months so I don't want it to be a complete waste of money. Then again, if I was to never make a penny out of it, I know I would enjoy it. I can't make up my mind. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I am doing the DTI course at the moment its great :D

Advertisement