Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home recording

• 24-05-2010 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭

hey i'm considering getting equipment for a home studio, nothing over the top just something simple, for recording vocals, guitar, bass and putting it onto my laptop. what i am wondering is, what would i need, mic obviously but preamp? etc also. also what particular products would you suggest

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

From the jist of your post, you will prob go for a usb audio interface something like the m-audio stuff and most of them will have a simple enough mic pre....

it will cover all your midi, guitar, bass stuff no probs...

m-audio fasttracks should do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Ross Mc

PMI wrote: »
    From the jist of your post, you will prob go for a usb audio interface something like the m-audio stuff and most of them will have a simple enough mic pre....

it will cover all your midi, guitar, bass stuff no probs...

m-audio fasttracks should do it.

yeah had a look at it, seems like it will do the job i want it to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Ross Mc

anybody got any other products for similar price that I could check out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Try the Digidesign M-Box if you want to use Protools, which is the studio standard. Quite easy to use too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

couldnt recommend the fast track ultra enough, fantastic for home recording. 6 inputs, and it actually sounds quite good for something so cheap...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

IT can be such a nightmare. I have a Mobilepre which is mostly mine but has some issues popping and crackling and the ASIO can be awkward to set up at times.

Micing amps is just so bleh unless you have a decent room and a lot of patience.

It's better to get an amp with direct out to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

I'll second the MBox.
    Decent sound, 2 channels and easy to use.

The Mbox has the preamps built in.
    All you need is a mike, SM57 is the defacto standard for guitars, the MBox and on to your laptop via USB.
    From there ProTools LE comes with the MBox.
    Reaper is also very good, and free to evaluate as long as you want.

If you have a Mac then Garageband is already on there and will do everything you want at the moment.

The MBox, and similar interface, can take guitar direct and there are many free amp sims on-line. This can be an easier method of recording but I personally prefer to use a miked amp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

Howya lad,
    i've got an alesis multimix 16 hooked to the pc. all guitar/bass amps etc modelled with amplitube 3, toontrack ezdrummer provides drummage. this setup is grand for me as its all going through headphones and not disturbing our toddler. the only time i get to play guitar at home these days is late at night.
    also, you could consider a line6 variax as a guitar to cover both acoustic and electric needs

Advertisement