Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long will victoria sponge stay fresh?

Options
  • 24-05-2010 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

I'm making a wedding cake for the first time shortly and victoria sponge is an option for the largest layer. I'm going to be stuck for time close to the wedding and I'm wondering how long a standard victoria sponge could be made in advance of the big day? It will be standard jam and buttercream with a rolled fondant icing. Would 4 days in advance result in a stale cake?

Any advice or timescales really appreciated.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Mine usually last a couple of days, but I found that if you prick the top of the cake all over with a toothpick when it's nearly cool and spoon over some sugar syrup flavoured with lemon or orange or vanilla, then wrap it in parchment paper and put in a cool place it will stay moist for longer.
    Hope it goes well - I made a cake for a wedding New Years Eve and was tied for time - stress city! Esp when the bride informed me she had forgotten to buy a cake topper - sisters-in law!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

washiskin wrote: »
    Mine usually last a couple of days, but I found that if you prick the top of the cake all over with a toothpick when it's nearly cool and spoon over some sugar syrup flavoured with lemon or orange or vanilla, then wrap it in parchment paper and put in a cool place it will stay moist for longer.
    Hope it goes well - I made a cake for a wedding New Years Eve and was tied for time - stress city! Esp when the bride informed me she had forgotten to buy a cake topper - sisters-in law!:rolleyes:

Was going to ask the same question so butting in here.
    That's a good idea!
    Question: Would the fridge be too cold to store an un iced sponge cake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

washiskin wrote: »
    Thanks a million, that sounds like a great idea!
    I'm going to ice the top with buttercream all over, and then fondant icing, so would you make my day and let me know your sugar syrup recipe?
    Thank you so so much! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Even with the drizzle suggested, I think 4 days is too long to expect a victoria sponge to taste good for.

I think 2 days in the max. Also, use more butter than the recipe suggests,
    this helps it taste nicer if you are not eating it the same day.

Why not try it out in advance with a small cake, wrap it well, and taste
    it 3 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Alas as I am also bridesmaid, 2 days is not possible, it must be 3, but I think I'll try to do it during the night of the 3rd day before to minimise the time!

Thanks very much for all of your advice!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement