Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FBD Insurance Cycle Race - Route?

Options
  • 24-05-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

The FBD Insurance Cycle Race is running through Galway on Wednesday. Does anyone know the route and times?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

FBD Insurance Cycle Race- through Galway
    STAGE 4, WEDNESDAY 26Th MAY

Roundabout, 2nd exit, dir. Dublin Lynch 11:26 (11.39 if backwind)
    Roundabout, 2nd exit, dir. Dublin 11.44 (12.06 if backwind)
    Taken from here

I phoned the organisers up to get exact route but they couldn't tell me (they said throught a load of roundabouts but I can't see the motorway being closed for them?
    Oranmore is also mentioned but again they couldn't tell me if it actually goes through Oranmore
    Phoned the Gardaí
    over bicentinial bridge
    left at Bodkin roundabout (past Dunnes)
    Up the 'bypass'
    throught the N17 roundabout and onto the motorway, past Galway Clinic
    along motorway and out to Clarinbridge.
    Expected in Gort at 12pm.

They'll be on the hardshoulder of the motorway.

I'm going to try to take some pics so pondering on where's best spot for me to be....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Check these links

Todays stage ends in Oughterard , overnights there and stage 4 tomorrow comes back through Galway.

http://www.fbdinsuranceras.com/event/fbdras_647.shtml

http://www.fbdinsuranceras.com/event/fbdras_648.shtml

Team of 5 Galway lads in it if you can spot them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

dinneenp wrote: »

Roundabout, 2nd exit, dir. Dublin Lynch 11:26 (11.39 if backwind)
    Roundabout, 2nd exit, dir. Dublin 11.44 (12.06 if backwind)
    Taken from here

Expected in Gort at 12pm.

Christ, they will have to do some pretty serious pedalling if they are going to get from that Galway roundabout at 11.44 and get to Gort by 12.00 !!:D
    I'm going to try to take some pics so pondering on where's best spot for me to be....

The very reason I ask this question. I suppose the new bridge is the best bet as I can't see them going through town. Now to hope that the times are right.

brutes1 wrote: »
    Check these links

Todays stage ends in Oughterard , overnights there and stage 4 tomorrow comes back through Galway.

http://www.fbdinsuranceras.com/event/fbdras_647.shtml

http://www.fbdinsuranceras.com/event/fbdras_648.shtml

Team of 5 Galway lads in it if you can spot them!

Great link Brutes1. It seems that it would be best to be on the new bridge by about 11.15 to be safe. down by the Topaz garage me thinks, get them coming round that corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

pity they are passing thru Galway during working hours :( I'd love to see it.

• Advertisement

Take an early lunch?
    Anyone recommend best spot to get photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Poor feckers have to cycle throughh Gort, could they not get them down a byroad. The surface would surely be an improvement over the main road. I smell punctures

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They'll be on the hardshoulder of the motorway.

Isn't that like totally illegal???? Especially given that there is an alternative route and all ....

Does anyone know where the best spot will be to take pictures? Factoring in that roads won't be closed to cars, where to stand so I'll have as few cars passing as possible?

Does anyone know where the best spot will be to take pictures? Factoring in that roads won't be closed to cars, where to stand so I'll have as few cars passing as possible?

Well, I've decided to go down to the new bridge by the Topaz garage in Newcastle. Like you say the traffic will still be flowing towards Newcastle so standing on that side of the road won't be much good. So I think on the other side of the road and catch them as they come around the corner. The big problem is that if you get it wrong, that's it as it will all be over in about 1 or 2 minutes. Any way good luck to anyone that is attempting this, I'm sure there will be a few pics up on here by the end of the day.

• Advertisement

Traffic wont' be stopped anywhere (confirmed by Gardaí)- it'll just be slowed down.
    Cyclists expected to reach 'first set of roundabouts' at 11:31 (confirmed by contact person on FBD race website)

I'm going to go on the N6 (bypass/hill after Dunnes/Terryland)- they should be slower here as there's an incline.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Just gone through Moycullen... impressive sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

just gone by dangan in Galway - pretty fast. Saw Giblan, I think, from Galway Bay cc up the front :)

Seems well organised.

From this morning.

The leaders.

01CE0699731F4C02AFE856D7AEFB5B90-800.jpg

08E447CB6144469596F26F19B9E7BAAB-800.jpg

The the pack.
    0B5553D87F4A47F0978A87707B89316D-800.jpg

C95DD392616C468BB1B64472E6B3186F-800.jpg

294893D1C0844F93AB0027D98C2298CD-800.jpg

The Stagglers.
    4BC495BCF2814266972ACB81205C1C86-800.jpg