Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whaen can you de-register a new car?

• 24-05-2010 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm trying to find an answer to this but no one, including the Revenue can give me a confident answer.
    What are the criteria whereby a new vehicle can be de-registered? Eg: Is there an age and/or mileage limit.
    My sister has bought a Golf, dealer got the car in last week and registered it to her but it was the wrong colour, they've admitted it was their fault but that they can't de-register it.
    Anyone here got Revenue legislation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Just get the colour changed on the log?

EDIT: wait the car is the wrong colour or the colour is registered wrongly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Can they not just register it back to the garage?
    I presume she doesn't want it. Alternatively you could argue a bigger discount from them to take it.

EDIT: is the car the wrong colour or just the log book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

1867IE wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I'm trying to find an answer to this but no one, including the Revenue can give me a confident answer.
    What are the criteria whereby a new vehicle can be de-registered? Eg: Is there an age and/or mileage limit.
    My sister has bought a Golf, dealer got the car in last week and registered it to her but it was the wrong colour, they've admitted it was their fault but that they can't de-register it.
    Anyone here got Revenue legislation.

Think the dealer is trying not to get stuck with the Golf they ordered incorrectly.

Our dealer managed to de-register a Passat that had been registered for around a month, and taxed last week.

Are they offering anything additional off the price for their error?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I think it's a few weeks. All the dealer has to say is that it was a mistake - registered to the wrong customer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

He means the car.

I think though... She would have to sign off on the car before taking it from the dealers right?

This would be something you should raise with a Solicitor. You may not be phrasing it right when speaking with the Revenue. I don't think that the dealers should of registered that car before she said she'd take it.

The posters above were confused about your query.

• Advertisement

He means the car.

I think though... She would have to sign off on the car before taking it from the dealers right?

This would be something you should raise with a Solicitor. You may not be phrasing it right when speaking with the Revenue. I don't think that the dealers should of registered that car before she said she'd take it.

The posters above were confused about your query.

I think I understood the query correctly, and I think there is absolutley no need to be recommending a solicitor at this stage.

The dealer would need to register the car to have it ready for collection. If they knew it was wrong, they shouldn't have registered it. The person who eventually registered the vehicle is nearly certainly not the person who was dealing with the customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They can deregister it as long as it hasn't
    been taxed or used in a public place.
    Don't know the tomw limit on it but Ive left it a Good few days before without A problem.

Sounds like the garage is pressuring you into taking the car by making the deregisrration process more difficult than it is. They only need to send one fax to rosslare

Don't know the tomw limit on it but Ive left it a Good few days before without A problem.

Sounds like the garage is pressuring you into taking the car by making the deregisrration process more difficult than it is. They only need to send one fax to rosslare

colm_mcm wrote: »

That's not the case, look at R.O.R's post above.

steve06 wrote: »
    That's not the case, look at R.O.R's post above.

What Colm thought was what I thought so I'm surprised it could be done. Usually it creates a huge problem when it's taxed, but our VW supplier managed to find a way around it this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭1867IE

It was the wrong colour altogether.

Ya, it would appear that they dont want to be stuck with the car. If the owership is changed to them it will still show has having a previous owner, my sis.

Ya, I dont think it can be de-registered when it's taxed but no-one seems to know exactly when it can be done.

I woul dsay after a month it would become difficult. There is 12km's on the car, surely this won't be an issue if it comes to it.

No need for a solicitor, the dealer is being very accommodating apart from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Going by the above posts etc it sounds like it shouldn't be your sister's problem to rectify in the first place. Buying a car is a big deal and costs a lot of money so you have to be happy with what you get.

Your sister does NOT have to accept this car if its not what she ordered. Its up to the garage to de-register it and to provide your sister with the car she wanted in the first place.

If it was me I'd be telling the garage to sort it or I'd be taking my deposit back and going elsewhere.

Bottom line is don't accept the garage's pressure for your sister to take this car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

R.O.R wrote: »
    I think I understood the query correctly, and I think there is absolutley no need to be recommending a solicitor at this stage.

I was typing up my reply as you put yours in... the first couple of replies were indicating that there was confusion in regards to where the error lay due to the way the OP discribed it.

I mentioned solicitor purely becasue no one can give legal advise here. And they may also be able to understand his query better and have experience in what needs to be done... if required...

Issue relates to a car being registered to someone, who didn't actually want it in the colour it came in.

"Is the car still there's if it was registered under them, but not by them and before they actually saw it and agreed they were going to take it?"

I woul dsay after a month it would become difficult. There is 12km's on the car, surely this won't be an issue if it comes to it.

Tell me she didn't take it out of the forecourt after seeing it was completely wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

assuming the colour isnt totally hideus, Id be looking for a HUGE discount ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭1867IE

Tell me she didn't take it out of the forecourt after seeing it was completely wrong...

Nope, she went to collect it and saw the colour and said no thanks. It was already regsitered.

corktina wrote: »
    assuming the colour isnt totally hideus, Id be looking for a HUGE discount ;-)
    Why? it's not what she wanted. I'd be looking for a different car, with the correctly ordered options!
    Nope, she went to collect it and saw the colour and said no thanks. It was already regsitered.
    That's good, Tell her to stick to her guns.

"Is the car still there's if it was registered under them, but not by them and before they actually saw it and agreed they were going to take it?"

Just because a car is registered to someone, it doesn't mean they have a legal obligation as the owner of it. If it had been paid for and taken away then there might be an issue, but it sounds like the OP's sister did the correct thing.
    It was the wrong colour altogether.

Ya, it would appear that they dont want to be stuck with the car.

They may also be in the very unfortunate position of having hit thier targets, and not having any more allocation for the year. Believe it or not, there are some VW dealers around the country who want to order cars, but VW won't let them.
    There is 12km's on the car, surely this won't be an issue if it comes to it.

12km's would be around the norm for a new car by the time it's driven from transporter to ship to transporter to parking space at the dealer.

From memory one of the questions they ask on the deregistration form is whether it had been taxed. If a distributor has sucessfuly dereged a taxed car I would say its an exception rather than the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

From memory one of the questions they ask on the deregistration form is whether it had been taxed. If a distributor has sucessfuly dereged a taxed car I would say its an exception rather than the norm.

I'm fairly sure this is the case. As long as the car hasnt been taxed it should be fine.

I'm not sure what happened in ROR's situation, but it does sound like a once off. I dont think it can be de-registered once its taxed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The limit used to be 21 days. No clue if it still is or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Dont take the car. Dont let sis concern herself about the de rereg. Dont pay for it, ask for deposit back or a new car to be ordered. If the garage can de reg it, all the better for them but if not, well they will just have to sell it to someone else as a one owner car. It was their mistake.

Advertisement