Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shrines, grottos, abandoned schools, etc?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Glenman, can you drive to the grotto, or is it a hike?
    Reminds me of the small monument at the Wellington Bomber crash site, up beside Mamore Gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

If you kept travelling the road from the Grotto in Woodlands,going Carrs of the Diamond direction,you will come across an old school house on your right.

Is that the scholl that was converted into a house a few years ago but never sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

mrmac wrote: »
    Glenman, can you drive to the grotto, or is it a hike?
    Reminds me of the small monument at the Wellington Bomber crash site, up beside Mamore Gap.
    Yes you can drive to the school and the Grotto from the Glen Finne side. The Croghras road is 7 miles long. Half of it is good road, down to the last dwelling, the rest of it is not passable by car. It is part of a horse treck in the summer.
    There is a small road heading into the Crochas valley from the back road from Glenties to Ballybofey. It leaves the main road on 2 miles on the Ballybofey side of the gost house.

Damn the search on google maps, I can't find any of those places!
    Probably spelt with half-a-dozen Fs or Ns! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Is that the scholl that was converted into a house a few years ago but never sold?

No,I know of the one you are talking about though.

The one I'am on about is on the back road,when you take the right just before the bridge,and take another right at the next junction on that road which will take you into Letterkenny the Calhame road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

We walked the Croaghs road last August, past the wee grotto, along past the abandoned cars vans and houses, through the rain. We actually talked to some lovely people who told us about the crash site. i have pics somewhere of the grotto.

As I mentioned to someone else, the best way to find out about these wee sites is by reading the books.
    There is one about Glenties and inishkeel, written by Liam Briody, a Garda in Glenties from 1967.

A hidden well and grotto (being a non Catholic, these sites have a strange fascination for me) is on the right hand side of the road to Gweebarra bridge from Maas, near Killkenny turn off, A wee track winds into the hazel wood and there is a freshly painted well with the accompanying rosary beads and other items.

In the Sheskinmore nature reserve, near Rosbeg, there is an old mass house, hidden away under the cliff but marked on the old OS as RC Church or mass house. Beautiful site with a blessed well nearby.
    Have pics of all this somewhere.

Durnish - I'd love to see some pics!

I'm going away on my hols for a few weeks, but I'll try to get to a net cafe to see how ye're doing.
    Please keep posting up suggestions, and I will try to update the map when I get back.

Cheers, mrmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I just remembered there is a well in Raphoe (Tullyvinney).

Advertisement